what do you think about tricking?

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would like to know how to train for this. And is it necessary for a martial artist to study or learn this? please say your comments and opinions openly

saraba

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to, are you talking about the art of lying (tricking) your way of fighting or getting someone to do what you want?

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tricking is acrobatic moves derived from martial art and gymnastic techniques. It is useful in providing co-ordination and plyometric ability but it is by no means a requirement for doing martial arts. It is not a martial art but more display of physical ability, such as gymnastics.

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh and if you google 'tricking' you will find numerous websites with tutorials and advice.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely unimportant for true personal protection skills!
icon6.gif

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If by "tricking" you are refering to Sun Tzu type strategy of making them think you are going to attack high level and then go low level then I would say "yes" and learn that.

But, if you are refering to what Logan states and using it in reference to gymnastics. Then "no", I don't think it is something you have to do.

It might be fun to incorporate those types of things to know how to use your body in different ways and what you are capable of. But, as has been stated, it is not necessary for personal protection.

Closest to gymnastics you would need is breakfalls and how to roll properly.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely unimportant for true personal protection skills!
icon6.gif

What he said.

However if used in the sense of learning tricks in the combative sense, i.e. faking, ways to manipulate a person or body or body part, etc. etc. than essential for true personal protection skills.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me tricking is about putting on some pretty clothes, comfortable shoes, and a short wait on a few, particular corners.:wink1:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how to train for this. And is it necessary for a martial artist to study or learn this? please say your comments and opinions openly

saraba

Its incredibly athletic and the people who do it have obviously well developed senses of kinesthesia and proprioception. That said it is completely unnecessary for a martial art to study this. "Martial" arts are based on war or combat skills and the need to jump, flip, or cartwheel using in those situations is incredibly unlikely. The only time I have heard of anything like "tricking" as a method of training combat oriented fighters is Japanese fighter pilots in WWII, where it was used to develop the attributes necessary for that eras dogfighting. Most of us have limited time to train, so the time required to develop good tricking skills takes away from our time to train combat or self-defense skills. If your primary goal isn't self-defense or combat, then you can do anything you want, but lets not confuse gymnastics with the development of real martial skills.

Lamont

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me tricking is about putting on some pretty clothes, comfortable shoes, and a short wait on a few, particular corners.:wink1:
That's what I was kinda thinking, too!

(Of course, I don't know what sort of "training" would be needed to do that sort of tricking. Though self-defense might be useful for people who do that sort of thing...)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Tricking" your opponent into thinking you're about to do one thing and then change to another target area, sure, nothing wrong with that.

"Tricking" as in some sort of gymnastics move or something that you'd see in a movie where people are flying thru the air, doing cartwheels, etc., then no, that is something that I personally am not interested in.

If the goal is to train for SD, which I'd imagine that is or should be the main goal for anyone training in the arts, then spending time on practical and effective techniques is more important than the fancy stuff. :)

Mike

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Read thru most of the links. The athleticism is impressive but I will say I'd find it easier to accept the tutorials as either how to do moves like the Power Rangers or how to get your butt kicked if your dumb enough to try this in a real fight. This stuff has nothing to do with real fighting and therefore nothing to do with self defense or martial arts.

_Don Flatt

Latest Discussions