Is My Style the Best?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
whatever system you study and train, if you believe it has gaps and holes and limitations and blind spots, then certainly you are correct. If you believe that you can't, then you are right.

And if you believe that your system is flexible and adaptable and offers you good tools to deal with what might come your way, then certainly you are correct. If you believe that you can, then you are right.

Just a thought that may or may not be worth sharing.

Meh.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
whatever system you study and train, if you believe it has gaps and holes and limitations and blind spots, then certainly you are correct. If you believe that you can't, then you are right.

And if you believe that your system is flexible and adaptable and offers you good tools to deal with what might come your way, then certainly you are correct. If you believe that you can, then you are right.

Just a thought that may or may not be worth sharing.

Meh.
lol.. The only thing I know about the system of that I train is that I know how to use very little of the 50 million techniques found in the system lol. I wouldn't know if there was an actual gap in the system or a gap in my understanding and ability to use the system. Every "gap" that I think I see, I automatically write it up as me not knowing enough about the system. The founder of the system knew 3 different fighting systems, so there may be something he knew that really didn't get passed on. Maybe during his time, he thought those skills were common.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol.. The only thing I know about the system of that I train is that I know how to use very little of the 50 million techniques found in the system lol. I wouldn't know if there was an actual gap in the system or a gap in my understanding and ability to use the system. Every "gap" that I think I see, I automatically write it up as me not knowing enough about the system. The founder of the system knew 3 different fighting systems, so there may be something he knew that really didn't get passed on. Maybe during his time, he thought those skills were common.
The knowledge and skill of the person is always a factor, and itself depends on many other factors.

The quality of instruction received, the natural aptitude of the student, diligence in practice, one's mood or how one happens to be feeling at any given moment, ambush or surprise, terrain, are some of these factors and will have an effect on how one performs.

Nothing in life is an absolute guarantee.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial arts is not really a belief exercise.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure it is.
lol.. not those clowns. DANG!! She got blasted lol. How irresponsible. lol. He hit her like a big truck and then laid on the ground and faked Chi effects. lol.

And this is why I say get your spiritual fix somewhere else. lol.
If I had to to choose between those clowns and the guy in picture below. The guy in the picture below looks like the better choice. At least he actually looks like he's at peace, that lady just looks like she's in a bunch of pain lol. That video is pretty much the norm for groups like that. Throwing together a bunch of concepts, making stuff up, and never bothering to take the "journey" so that they can actually learn something real.

300px-Phra_Ajan_Jerapunyo-Abbot_of_Watkungtaphao..jpg

But for real.. that's some scary stuff. Jim Jones wouldn't even drink that kool aid lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to see yourself as... SOMEBODY, before you even, get out of bed, or... Why Bothah?...

Was that the equivalent of my gerbil is wearing a pancake your argument is invalid.

Or did I just miss something symbolic there?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I don't get is peoples need to rundown, berate, belittle and disparage other arts, and practitioners of other arts, they know little about beyond YouTube.

If one sees hole in their chosen art then quit complaining, shut-up, train and fix them or find another art to train. If one is happy with their chosen art who gives a damn what anyone else has to say about it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I don't get is peoples need to rundown, berate, belittle and disparage other arts, and practitioners of other arts, they know little about beyond YouTube.

If one sees hole in their chosen art then quit complaining, shut-up, train and fix them or find another art to train. If one is happy with their chosen art who gives a damn what anyone else has to say about it.
I like that people are vocal. If someone thinks that an art is crazy or harmful then I rather for them to say so than to remain quiet. If you think something is a hoax then say so. At the very least it will allow a person to be cautious about what they are getting into.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I like that people are vocal. If someone thinks that an art is crazy or harmful then I rather for them to say so than to remain quiet. If you think something is a hoax then say so. At the very least it will allow a person to be cautious about what they are getting into.

If that is the case then fine, that would mean they have some knowledge of the art in question. But there are more than a few that seem to need to rundown, berate, belittle and disparage other arts, and practitioners of other arts, they know little about beyond YouTube, just because they can, or because it does not fit the training methodology that they understand.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

well yes, if you keep your,socks in the microwave who cares if anyone else things it odd.

the issues seem to be that a number of arts have,gone down evolutionary black holes. They started out as viable fighting systems but have through dogma turned in not very viable systems.
ie. If your art doesn't do a particular form of attack it won't train a defence to that attack either. That then limits you to only being,effective against others of the same,art or complete novices.

there is nothing wrong with that in its self. I collect old motorbikes, which I go to great trouble to keep original, but I dont fool myself they are anything but museums pieces