The beauty of flow

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So i study jkd/kali/silat mixture. (and i like the feel of wing chun as well)

After today's class with stick and knife training, I realized something.

for me jkd is really just the foundation.
to put it into perspective

jkd is like the common sense part of your mind. when your logic is tripped up, you can always go back to the common sense choice.

while kali/silat are like a higher level of thinking. (flow, and more advanced techniques)

but kali/silat are really starting to take a hold of my interest completely. I tense up a lot more when I do JKD, because I concentrate on putting power behind my shots. but with the kali/silat I focus more on flow. My body is much looser.

We were doing this great kali drill (although it felt much more silatish)
where you tong sao a right punch with your left, check with your right, and then slip your left back over to check off his other arm. (i'm sure most of you know this, but i have never learned this until now and i've been doing it a year) It's made for weapons, like if your opponent has a weapon in his left hand on the left side of his pants, and you need to avoid his right punch but consider his weapon possibility but like kali/silat you can adapt it to open hands.

the few times we have free styled, I used to resort to my JKD. but I'm finding once I'm in punching range, I'm really prefering to use kali/silat. I think eventually (although I love JKD and it still is your common sense training) I will put most of my time into kali/silat. what I like most about them is, they are practical like jkd, but a more advanced practical. Rather than something like BJJ where it almost toys with an opponent and tossels on the ground, they are much more precise and intentional on ending the fight as brutally and as fast as possible. Like the hary mal of silat is one of my favorites. I'm 142lbs, 5"10 and very flexible, so it comes very natural for me. (in part because i was doing some yoga for a while, now i just stretch a lot)

<3 the flow.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly use JKD to improve my attributes for the FMAs. I use few of the techniques but lots of the general benefits in knowing my range and moving between ranges, flowing from one stgae to another (also big in the FMAs), good body mechanics, etc.