The aikido thing

OP
Finlay

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a thought experiment, if nothing else. It's an interesting discussion, even if folks never plan to do anything with it.

Yes basically that was the point.

I just noticed the aikido gets more scorn poured on it than other martial arts. As a teacher, both in martial arts and other things, i don't think it is enough to just cast criticism.

The orginal question was an aim to look a little deeper

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes basically that was the point.

I just noticed the aikido gets more scorn poured on it than other martial arts. As a teacher, both in martial arts and other things, i don't think it is enough to just cast criticism.

The orginal question was an aim to look a little deeper
So what, if it gets scorn from people who know nothing about it? That a bunch of uninformed people on the internet don’t like it, in no way means there is anything wrong with it. And how could people who have no experience with it be in a position to comment on how it ought to be corrected?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what, if it gets scorn from people who know nothing about it? That a bunch of uninformed people on the internet don’t like it, in no way means there is anything wrong with it. And how could people who have no experience with it be in a position to comment on how it ought to be corrected?

Because those people do a tested system that works.

And you adopt as many elements as you can live with.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At 2.20 - 3.14, if he uses right leg to spring back his opponent's left leg, the take down will be much easier. It's more fun to discuss how to make a technique more effective.

When you use your right leg to "spring" your opponent's left leg, you have just restricted his left leg mobility. It will be much difficult for him to escape that left leg.

By adding the "leg skill", Aikido take down skill can be enhanced big time.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My art shares a root with Aikido, and Bjj and Aikido share some principles that are simply executed differently. Thus what they attempt to do isn't completely alien to what I do.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Good grief, that kid's self-loathing is annoying as hell. We get it bro, you think Aikido doesn't work! That doesn't mean you need to disparage every technique you're demonstrating.

Beyond that, good vid. I like the explanation of attachment versus connection and how that adds some difference between the systems.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should MA always have to be mixed with philosophy?

Today, how many people still associate MA with "侠 (Xia) - Help the weak to defeat the strong"?
I don't think they have to be. I'm not sure boxing is.

I'm not sure how that's linked to my post, though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I used the term "thought experiment". There's no harm in anything done wrong in a thought experiment. It's just exploring an idea. In this case, exploring what folks think - from whatever perspective they have - would improve Aikido, in their eyes.

We could ask the same about MMA, Kyokushin, Savate, Boxing, or embroidery. Sometimes, hearing what folks from outside a specialty think is a good way to break ingrained thought patterns.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief, that kid's self-loathing is annoying as hell. We get it bro, you think Aikido doesn't work! That doesn't mean you need to disparage every technique you're demonstrating.

Beyond that, good vid. I like the explanation of attachment versus connection and how that adds some difference between the systems.
He doesn't appear to have reached a point of trying to find what is useful in his Aikido training. That'd drive me nuts, but maybe it's a good thing - might keep him more focused on learning the BJJ principles and approach for now. At some point, he'd do well to reach back for that Aikido and see what he understands better about how to use those principles, with BJJ as a base to put it on.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He doesn't appear to have reached a point of trying to find what is useful in his Aikido training. That'd drive me nuts, but maybe it's a good thing - might keep him more focused on learning the BJJ principles and approach for now. At some point, he'd do well to reach back for that Aikido and see what he understands better about how to use those principles, with BJJ as a base to put it on.

I think he's been reaching out to Roy Dean, so that will definitely help him bridge Aikido and Bjj.

We'll see soon enough.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I used the term "thought experiment". There's no harm in anything done wrong in a thought experiment. It's just exploring an idea. In this case, exploring what folks think - from whatever perspective they have - would improve Aikido, in their eyes.

We could ask the same about MMA, Kyokushin, Savate, Boxing, or embroidery. Sometimes, hearing what folks from outside a specialty think is a good way to break ingrained thought patterns.
Fair enough and people can discuss whatever they want.

The problem is this: when people with little or no aikido background discuss how to improve aikido, what they are really discussing is how to make it into what they already do. Underneath it all, the BJJ guy wants to turn it into a variety of BJJ, the Kyokushin guy wants to turn it into a variant of Kyokushin, etc.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but if the opinion is uninformed, the opinion is worthless.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do your guys think that "leg skill" can enhance the Aikido system?

yamaarashi.gif

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So do you feel aikido ought to be more like Shuai Chiao?
It has nothing to do with MA style. If you give your opponent's legs too much freedom, that's your mistake no matter which MA system that you may train.

Should a

- Karate guy wraps a boxer's punching arm?
- TKD guy catch a MT guys roundhouse kicking leg?
- Aikido guy uses foot sweep?

There is only a more effective way of fighting that we are all interested in.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with MA style. If you give your opponent's legs too much freedom, that's your mistake no matter which MA system that you may train.

Should a

- Karate guy wraps a boxer's punching arm?
- TKD guy catch a MT guys roundhouse kicking leg?
- Aikido guy uses foot sweep?

There is only a more effective way of fighting that we are all interested in.
Ok, but you are suggesting it ought to proceed with things that are more akin to Shuai Chiao and less typical of aikido.

Latest Discussions