Thai Kicks with both legs?

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
The thing is in muay thai your rear leg will always be stonger then yout front leg..its just science....you can always switch guard but then you'll always have a favourite out of the two and as such will have a stronger leg since you'll practice more with one leg.........so i dont know what all this 'both legs are strong' business'.lol

I think there are people from other arts posting though so no offence ment by them comments.

I disagree. The switch step allows you to open up your hips and get just as much power from the left as the right. Thats the beauty of the MT switch step. It gives you a power kick from the front leg without having to change to a southpaw stance. Something you dont find in other arts.
Generally its only novices that have trouble with getting power from the lead leg.
I'm a right hander but I can kick with just as much, if not more, power from my lead left, by use of the switch step. Especially after I injured my right shin and had to practise with just the left for a month.
You'll see alot of Thais will use their lead leg extensively in fights with devastating power.
No offense meant. But I've never trained in a MT gym that didnt train you to kick with devastating power from both rear and lead legs.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being one of those "people from other arts" (no offense taken) I thought I'd clarify. I started off in a school that was a mix of JKD, Muay Thai, and FMA, and now do primarily JKD. Both JKD and FMA are "strong side forward" styles. Meaning that if you are a righty, you stand like a lefty, with your right leg forward. The logic being that your strongest weapon will then be closest to the opponent. In this case it means that my lead round kick (dont think left or right, but lead) will be stronger than my rear. I will be the first to admit this is easier said than done, and takes a while to get used too.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Drag'n said:
I disagree. The switch step allows you to open up your hips and get just as much power from the left as the right. Thats the beauty of the MT switch step. It gives you a power kick from the front leg without having to change to a southpaw stance. Something you dont find in other arts.
Generally its only novices that have trouble with getting power from the lead leg.
I'm a right hander but I can kick with just as much, if not more, power from my lead left, by use of the switch step. Especially after I injured my right shin and had to practise with just the left for a month.
You'll see alot of Thais will use their lead leg extensively in fights with devastating power.
No offense meant. But I've never trained in a MT gym that didnt train you to kick with devastating power from both rear and lead legs.

I agree with this statement. I've watched a fair amount of Thai fights, and they equally use both legs. From my observation, its more advantageous to be proficient with both legs. More over, I find you will probably generate slightly more power in the lead using the switch step, do to the explosive nature of that step.

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
i can kick with both legs...only if i switch form orthodox to southpaw though...i'm still having some problems with my switching feet to throw my left kick.

Latest Discussions