test for a white belt?!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In all my years in the martial arts, I have NEVER seen an art whaere you have to "test" to get a WHITE belt!
It is and always has been,you get the white belt as soon as you start.
When I came to the UK was the first time I ever something such as this.
Of course,in this particular case...it was a rip off jus to suck more money out of the students. Hence the reason I quit. What a crock.
Now, I have become in a very reputable group....who does the same thing.Test for a white belt.
I have inquired about this..and while I am waiting on the reply from the tuhon....
and before I walk....
I would like to know if anybody else,style or system does this and for what reason?
The only reason I can see is to screw people out of thier money and time.
As far as "learning the basics of a beginner"....THAT is what the white belt is for in the first place.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why not just pass on the belt test, and continue to train? If the instructor can't respect that, you can say :2xBird2: , but otherwise, you can continue to train, and test for a different belt later. Who cares about the belt?

What system is this, Bammx?

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Dojo started testing for white belt about a year after I started. We grade ever six months, but the beginners have like a mini grading 3 months into the term, its just basic stuff, kicks, punches etc. Once they pass that they get their white belts.

One of the reasons for this is that it has proven to prepare the beginners a lot more for there actual grading, they seem to perform so much better as they have had a taste of a grading. It also gives our instructor a chance to have one on one with each person to ensure they are progressing well or pick up on any trouble they are having.

As far as I understand there is no charge for the mini white belt grading...and so far it’s working out really well at our Dojo.

I guess it comes down to why your instructor does it that way...??

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in 43 years of training I have never seen anybody that had to teast for a white belt. I believe it is a way of making money also. Sara in your case it sounds legit since you do not charge for the belt cudos to your school.

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander...the first system I saw it in was a sport kickboxing club that claimed to teach "freestyle" MA.
He has a good money maker going there....they don't even teach blocks and counters...purely offense! AND, he has the audacity to claim his system is street effective.....hmpf
icon6.gif

Granted, at one point the organisation was averaging 4000 pounds(UK) a week with about 3-4 clubs!
The other is a FMA I don't want to mention as of yet due to the fact the instructor is a very reputable man and has put many years work into his organisation.
BTW....where did you find the "finger" icon?! I am still chukling about that!

Sarah....I actually like that idea! Thank you for that!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Would it make you feel better if they invented another belt color (pink!) and added it into the levels and made you test for that? Deal with it, it is just a step, who cares if you are a "nothing" belt for a couple of months. It is just a level designation and it probably is about making money but that isn't a crime, nor does it effect the quality of instruction.

Lamont

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought a white belt signifies an "innocent". So what do you wear until you learn something? What keeps you together? What if you don't pass!!!!!We have had students like that...women who didn't want to ever test so they were white belts for TWO years! TW

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All of the schools that I have seen usually give the White belt to the student when they first join. I have never seen a test for White.

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of this and not sure, really, on how I feel about it. But the really important thing, IMHO, is how YOU feel about it. Is it a test from them or a test from you for yourself? Any test should really be the latter, in your mind. There will always be a test ... a test in MA, a test in school, a test at work, a test in life. What really counts is how you respond to it.

If you think the place you're learning from is reputable and you can really learn some good **** there and you think you can grow there ... why leave just because you gotta earn your place?

My mom told me (advice thread!) that if you want to change the rules of the game, you must first win the game - the only way to do that is to play by the rules currently in place.

Good luck!

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
My last school used to test for white belt (no fees). Basically you came to class for a few weeks and then were tested on some basics, punches and kicks all really. It seemed ok to me. Gave the new students a bit of class recognition I think and a feeling of accomplishment. Showed them they could do karate and make progress in it. Until you got the belt, you just wore the gi, no belt.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I *believe* in my school you test for whitebelt. Its not a money scam either, cuz we dont pay to test. What I have seen is the instructor makes new students learn the VERY basics, like basic ukemi techniques, etc before grading them and giving them a white belt.

K

Kempogeek

TigerWoman said:
I thought a white belt signifies an "innocent". So what do you wear until you learn something? What keeps you together? What if you don't pass!!!!!We have had students like that...women who didn't want to ever test so they were white belts for TWO years! TW
Two years as a white belt? I can't imagine myself in that position. The reason I started in Karate was to prove to myself that I can do it. Sometimes I do have little confidence in my abilities but still take the exams. If I don't pass, there's always a next time and learn from my mistakes. Did well on my yellow exam but bearly passed my orange exam. (Darn forward and back rolls)......I didn't have to test for the white belt but I wouldn't mind it. I agree with Ping898 about getting class recognition and a feeling of accomplishment. That's always been my strong point even now. Best regards, Steve

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:

Apparently someone didn't like my comment some twenty points worth. This was not a slam against women!! These women didn't like the testing program. They didn't mind learning all that they could but refused to test so they were perennial white belts and loved being known as the white belt club. Trouble with that was our instructor wouldn't teach them a new form until they tested. So they did Ki Bon Hyung for two years. To each their own! TW

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my school has like a two week period befor you get your uniform to make sure its something you want to do adn are making progress then you get your unifom and white belt...no offical test just watching you in class

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You mention "UK" is this where they test for white belts? Every one has the right to do things different. (there is no set rules in the martial arts). It is different from the norm?

Trust your intincts about the teachers and training. In England the horse track and car race tracks runs in a clock wise way. When America broke away from the British, Americans want to be different. Today our horse and car race tracks runs in counter clock wise, even running tracks.

Testing for a "white belt" ? What do they use? instead? .....Aloha

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Testing for white belt....what other belt would you use to hold the jacket/trousers in place?

Actually, in one system that I had studied, white belt(sash) was the high rank-i.e. black belt)

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, You mention "UK" is this where they test for white belts? Every one has the right to do things different. (there is no set rules in the martial arts). It is different from the norm?

Trust your intincts about the teachers and training. In England the horse track and car race tracks runs in a clock wise way. When America broke away from the British, Americans want to be different. Today our horse and car race tracks runs in counter clock wise, even running tracks.

Testing for a "white belt" ? What do they use? instead? .....Aloha
I was waiting for this.....
This was not a comparison between the US and the UK.
The was a question about testing for a white belt.
I said I had never seen it before comming here to the UK.
I am definately sure that if I searched the US long enough,I would find it there....or in any other country for that matter.But in order for me to search out everyone who did it and ask them why..I would have to be of the "highlander" persuasion.
icon12.gif

Besides,someone already gave a legit reason,back in the US,as to why another school does it.
I just find it appaling for anyone to do it JUST to make a dime.
As one other said...There is nothing wrong with someone making extra cash,and there is nothing wrong with some not liking the lack of integrity that goes along with pushin "Mcdojo" standards.
And just for a side bar....
I have lived in this country for 5 years now and been to a lot of different places here and I have heard "the yanks always have to be different"...I have never heard the opposite anywhere in the US in all the different places I have ever been been. In fact,I do know, for a fact, there are certain things that are done in the law community,government,military,and dojo's to the opposite of the US...just because the "US does it the other way."
We(the US) may have done it way back when...but we don't harp on it anymore.But I could care less....I still like this country!
Plaese don't take any of this as a slam.I am not offended by anything anyone has said and I just wanted to make a clarification.All opinions,advice,counterpoints..and even corrections are welcome!

MABUHAY TO ALL!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I test students for white belt. I do this to give students a taste of what my art is all about and in order to teach them how to be a Tang Soo Do student. The time is a probationary period and the student can leave at any time and not have to worry about buying a uniform or any gear. In order to pass a white belt test, the student must be able to perform a small list of techniques and must show some dedication for three months. No body has ever failed the test, but I've had plenty that have never taken it by deciding that my dojang wasn't for them.

I don't charge my students. They can buy all their gear for cost. At the door of my dojang, there is a box. "Give what this is worth to you." You are not required to give anything and you are not required to give money. I regularly get little peice of paper that say things like "two nights of baby sitting" or cards from businesses that offer services - my favorite is the one hour massage or a student will offer to buy some equipment for the dojang.

The test in the white belt test is a no contract, no strings attached demonstration of committment.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
upnorthkyosa,

That was intertesting. Do you have a website?

I do not have a website, sorry. I don't advertise, either. My students may invite people to my dojang, but I remind them to do it sparingly and wisely.