Ten Commandments...."Rules" or "Continuum?" for living.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Yup. Sure did.

Y'see, there are currently about four or so major "schools" of psychology: 1) Skinnerian behaviorism, 2) Freudian psychoanalysis, 3) Rogerian humanism, and 4) transpersonal psychology (representing a variety of folks ranging from Grof to Wilber --- who, curiously enough, no longer identifies himself with the transpersonal crowd).

Humanistic and transpersonal psychology usually get "lumped" together by most folks who don't know better, and are collectively referred to as "third force" psychology (as opposed to behaviorism or psychoanalysis).

In any event, Maslow is claimed by both the humanistic-existential and transpersonal schools, but not by them silly psychoanalysts. Jung, on the other hand, is most definately a psychoanalyst. Piaget was definately influenced by Freud, and probably falls moreso into the psychoanalytic school (although there are clear parallels with the humanistic approach, i.e. Maslow's hierarchy of needs).

Most of the "cognitive scientists" and neuropsychologists today are built strongly upon the materialistic claims of behaviorism.

Anyways, laterz. :asian:
When I was in college, Skinnerian psychology was brand new and thought to be a passing sub-set of psychology.

Want to explain when transpersonal came into being? And what, exactly, sets it apart from the other branches.

Too bad I never kept up with my studies. Gee, I guess having a family took precedence.

Piaget definitely belongs with Maslow, in my opinion. I always enjoyed their views, which my Psych of Personality (among other courses) prof used to expound upon in spite of Piaget being lumped with the other Child Psychologists at that time.

Remember that there's a major age gap between us.

R

rmcrobertson

It is grossly inaccurate to represent current psychological schools in terms of Skinner, Freud, Rogers and "transpersonal,"--this wasn't even true back in the 1970s, when it was probably closest to true.

Further, Rogers is not really a psychologist, but a psychotherapist; in point of fact, all these schools of psychology would better be described as schools of psychotherapy.

Currently, Skinner's ideas are generally understood to have some value as suggesting techniques (for, example, the treatment of phobias through various "desensitization," techs); Freud's ideas are generally skipped over or treated as "primitive," Rogers is nowhere in sight except as providing some general background ideas, and the "transpersonal," stuff is employed only in quite-limited areas of upper middle-class privilege.

Current general treatment methodologies, for better or worse, tend to emphasize drug therapy where necessary and short-term psychotherapy.

Perhaps you folks are not as far distant in age as you might think.

R

rmcrobertson

So even if I hadn't known that, and already posted on the other thread---should we perhaps have another Commandment about not enjoying somebody else's being caught acting stupid?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
So even if I hadn't known that, and already posted on the other thread---should we perhaps have another Commandment about not enjoying somebody else's being caught acting stupid?

Ummmm.... dunno about that, I was just trying to point out that that discussion had moved to another thread.

The "Dubya is a dweeb" comment should probably belong on another thread, too....

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
It is grossly inaccurate to represent current psychological schools in terms of Skinner, Freud, Rogers and "transpersonal,"--this wasn't even true back in the 1970s, when it was probably closest to true.

Further, Rogers is not really a psychologist, but a psychotherapist; in point of fact, all these schools of psychology would better be described as schools of psychotherapy.

Currently, Skinner's ideas are generally understood to have some value as suggesting techniques (for, example, the treatment of phobias through various "desensitization," techs); Freud's ideas are generally skipped over or treated as "primitive," Rogers is nowhere in sight except as providing some general background ideas, and the "transpersonal," stuff is employed only in quite-limited areas of upper middle-class privilege.

Current general treatment methodologies, for better or worse, tend to emphasize drug therapy where necessary and short-term psychotherapy.

Perhaps you folks are not as far distant in age as you might think.
Glad to see I'm not as paleolithic in my knowledge as I thought.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
11th Commandment: Thou shalt stay on-topic.

:asian: :asian: :asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MT MOD NOTE:

C'mon guys... I'm in the middle of midterms. Keep it on topic so I don't have to take time away from my homework to bring out the topic bat, k?

-Nightignale-
MT MODERATOR

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
MT MOD NOTE:

C'mon guys... I'm in the middle of midterms. Keep it on topic so I don't have to take time away from my homework to bring out the topic bat, k?

-Nightignale-
MT MODERATOR
Thanks NG, good luck on those fun exams btw...

I have yet to see any posts that address the 'continuum or rules' idea - regardless of the context/historical setting or who it did or did not apply to in the view of the followers.

Basically, if your not suppose to lie, but telling the truth is going to brutally crush a loved ones ego, do you 'sin' (in the current usage of knowingly doing something that is wrong) for the sake of "love/honoring" that person or do you tell the truth?

There are many cases on a daily basis when TC come into direct conflict with each other. Which one takes precidence in those moments for you and why?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many cases on a daily basis when TC come into direct conflict with each other. Which one takes precidence in those moments for you and why?

For me, the morality of a situation is always dependent on its contextual situation. I find absolutisms childish and naive.

R

rmcrobertson

It is always wrong to kill people. There may be times when this is a lesser wrong than the consequences of not killing somebody, but killing is always wrong. So is violence; again, there may be times when violence is a lesser wrong than letting things go.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is always wrong to kill people. There may be times when this is a lesser wrong than the consequences of not killing somebody, but killing is always wrong. So is violence; again, there may be times when violence is a lesser wrong than letting things go.

An interesting claim --- considering "right" and "wrong" are arbitrary unless given reference points. Kinda like "light" and "dark", "up" and "down", "left" and "right", "hot" and "cold", and so on...

... and, if something happens to be the least "wrong" action in any given situation, then what you are in fact saying is that all possible actions are "wrong" and there is no "right". A truly intriguing concept, considering "wrong" means nothing unless "right" gives it a proper definition and context.

Very intriguing indeed.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
So, as a martial artist, do you view yourself as a 'sinner' or 'premeditating murder' in your training of physical/lethal force techniques?

Context counts. I think the laws about force/deadly force demonstrate where the American/local governmental perspective on this idea is.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are almost always mitigating circumstances for any scenario you may propose. My vote: guidelines within the context of society and the situation.