Tell me why you chose your martial art

Greggers69

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally am an ex-jock who missed the full contact sports so I researched to more of a full contact MA and found kenpo. And still loving it
:asian:

OP
S

stacks

Originally posted by hamster_kicks
hello there! Im new to this site.
i'm asking what art you do and why you decided to choose that one?
I started studying Kenpo because at the time I was only interested in going to a dojo that taught private lessons that worked for me, so I could train on the days that suited my work that started in 1993 at first it was a hobby then it became a passion, now it is a way of life and I teach professionaly now

stacks :karate:

OP
V

vin2k0

Originally posted by Infight
I entered MA cause i like to hurt people, what else i can say?

So i take it you do no martial arts with a stupid comment like this?

OP
V

vin2k0

quote: Originally posted by Master of Blades
I like hitting people with sticks......Nuff' said

Originally posted by Kingston
lol thats why i started kendo!:duel: :jediduel:

You may enjoy hitting people with sticks but what you gonna do when you dont have a stick outside?! Cause it wouldnt be very frequent at all that you would...

OP
V

vin2k0

I started karate originally because i had seen the films such as karate kid etc, which are really a lot of B.S but they encouraged me to go :) since i have grown older and matured and progressed i have realised that there is much more to it than being able to fight. I have only ever tried one other martial art which was judo and i didnt enjoy it.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to do a southern style of Shaolin and I loved it, I'd like to do some more Kung Fu one day.

I took up Judo because I wanted to understand dynamics, balance, and how to control obvious power. Now I love it for the thrill of throwing and being thrown. I also love the fun of groundwork even though it is of limited practicality.

The atmosphere is great, and the people I train with are good guys.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by vin2k0
quote: Originally posted by Master of Blades
I like hitting people with sticks......Nuff' said

You may enjoy hitting people with sticks but what you gonna do when you dont have a stick outside?! Cause it wouldnt be very frequent at all that you would...

LOL. The stick is a training tool to learn the concepts. I always have access to a plethora of items with which I can apply the principles I've learned with a stick. They're all around me.

From a water bottle, to a book, to my cell phone :)

And training against sticks is part of it too. This training can be translated pretty directly against a tire iron or baseball bat.

Training with sticks isn't about learning to fight with sticks. It's about learning to fight with external items, whether they're a "stick" or not.
Mike

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Quick Sand
To be honest, the reason I joined TKD a little over a year ago is because I was looking for a MA club at my university and this one practiced at times that worked with my schedule. I'm glad I joined though. I really enjoy TKD and it works for me because I have a fairly strong and flexibile lower body but no upper body strength at all.

Why would you say that "sound pathetic"? Seem pretty practical too me. Besides, that appears to be a wise choice, in choosing an art that matches your physiological strength. People love to say that styles do not matter while in reality, choosing the style that fully exploit your strength MATTERS a whole lot.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Why would you say that "sound pathetic"? Seem pretty practical too me. Besides, that appears to be a wise choice, in choosing an art that matches your physiological strength. People love to say that styles do not matter while in reality, choosing the style that fully exploit your strength MATTERS a whole lot.

Very well put. But what people often overlook is exactly what you pointed out ... that it differs from person to person depending on individual attributes. A lot of people assume that "It works best for me, it must be the best for everyone." This leads to others saying, "The art doesn't matter." Which is something of an oversimplification.

You've hit the actual nail squarely on the head :) The statement should be: "What art you study doesn't matter as long as it suits the individual's attributes."

Mike

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by pesilat
LOL. The stick is a training tool to learn the concepts. I always have access to a plethora of items with which I can apply the principles I've learned with a stick. They're all around me.

From a water bottle, to a book, to my cell phone :)

And training against sticks is part of it too. This training can be translated pretty directly against a tire iron or baseball bat.

Training with sticks isn't about learning to fight with sticks. It's about learning to fight with external items, whether they're a "stick" or not.
Mike

What he said......:asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Actually check his profile....he does BJJ, Aikido, Judo, Karate, Thai, Boxe, Wrestling, Sanbo :asian:

OP
W

Wmarden

I chose out of a few reasons. I am trying to get into law enforcement and as such need a big toolbox of techniques to deal with situations. From my job working with people I can handle people fairly well. I can train on my own to improve my firearms skills. But I need quality instruction for those situations somewhere in the middle on the force continuum. And it so happens one of the fellow members of my reserve deputy class I took last year is a Second dan in a useful art. Found that out in class, so did one of the deputies in a role playing exercise:D

So I now have embarked on a study in the art of falling and hurting:)

Budoshin Ju-Jitsu

So in away it was chance, but it is an art I would choose anyway as having good applications for my soon to be profession.

OP
I

Infight

Why not? Do you know any better way to hurt people with just your hands?
And its not a stupid comment, thats only the truth. I believe everybody in MA likes to hurt people, if you seek deep in their hearts!

OP
I

Infight

Originally posted by Master of Blades
Actually check his profile....he does BJJ, Aikido, Judo, Karate, Thai, Boxe, Wrestling, Sanbo :asian:
Wrong, i dont do all of this, i just pratice BJJ and Muay Thai, what you said are areas of my interests, things i hope someday have a chance ( or time! ) to pratice.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I a'm currently in close quarters training I chose this because it helps me in my work. I have been in TKD since I was 7 and needed somthing different.

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by hamster_kicks
hello there! Im new to this site.
i'm asking what art you do and why you decided to choose that one?

I got invovled with the martial arts because of my love for Asian Culture. I started with shotokan because a friend of mine was a student. I made the switch to Kenpo after I saw "The Perfect Weapon"

OP
K

Kroy

Crappy spelling ,again. involved is the correct spelling.:iws:

OP
C

chufeng

My choices were Shotokan, Goju-ryu, TaeKwonDo, and YiLiQuan.

History: TaeKwonDo came from Shotokan...Shotokan came from Okinawan Karate...Okinawan Karate came from China...YiLiQuan is a Chinese art with roots in both the Taoist arts and Shaolin.

Instructor: TaeKwonDo teacher only saw dollar signs...
Shotokan teacher was very good...very traditional.
Goju-ryu teacher was "empty."
YiLiQuan teacher was knowledgable, could easily walk the talk, and actually asked me about ME...

Cost: TaeKwonDo...$60/mo
Shotokan...$45/mo
Goju-ryu...I didn't ask
YiLiQuan...depended on program...I took a long contract and paid $35/mo (but for short contract it was as expensive as TaeKwonDo)

Other things offered:

Shotokan...nothing
Goju-ryu...nothing
YiLiQuan...Chinese medicine, QiGong, TaiJi (it wasn't originally part of the curriculum), and a requirement for the student to research other arts and write essays on histories, religions, and philosophies.

As it turns out, the YiLiQuan Kwoon offered many seminars as well and brought well known martial artists from other styles in to give seminars, too.

I was interested in the underlying philosophy of Chinese martial arts and the healing aspect of them...the other arts didn't offer those things...