technical aspects of Ninpo hand-to-hand

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello-
I'm fairly new here.
I was recently contacted by a Bujinkan sensei who had read a post of mine in the "general" area of MT. (Hello Jeff, if you are reading this)
He suggested that if I were interested in learning more about his (your) art/tradition that I could come learn some from him.
I currently teach/study American Kenpo Karate, and am very much in love with my art. But I know the value of learning other useful things and assimilating them.

In otherwords...
I'd like that.
But I was wondering where I could go to read up a bit on the technical execution of the hand-to-hand techniques?
Strange question?

help
Your Brother
John

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent question, John. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as reading material that talks about the work involved.

P

pknox

As far as online info, that may prove difficult, as most Budo Taijutsu instructors are hesitant to put techniques on the web, as they can often either be used by irresponsible people, or can be misrepresented by being taken out of context (I am not sure about Soke Hatsumi's official views on this matter, and whether or not that is in fact the reason for this - Jeff would probably be more knowledgeable in that regard). As far as history, there is a great deal available, but again, as with any martial art, you must be careful to verify who you are dealing with. I can heartily recommend any printed material by Soke Masaaki Hatsumi - the source would be without question in that case, regardless if it is technique or history that you are interested in.

G

Greg Chapman

Brother John

There is a couple of techniques shown on ninpo.org the genbukan site but they are really basic ones, i think you will find that no one puts techniques on the net, not too sure but i ave never found any myself, Hayes also wrote a series of 5 books where he showed a lot of basics, maybe you can have a look at them or if you go to buyubooks they might have a few manuals, they have a great one on kuki bojutsu.

Greg

P

pknox

Brother John:

Here is a link where you could purchase some videos that deal with Bujinkan techniques. The videos by Soke Hatsumi are always the best, as there is no question as to the authenticity of the techniques. The video series by Shihan Hoban has also been recommended to me quite highly. Shihan Hoban is one of the highest ranking Bujinkan practitioners in the United States, if not the world, and I would believe his techniques can be considered to be very authentic as well:

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/catalog/category_249_Ninjutsu_page_1.html

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have a Barnes and Noble or Borders books, I would suggest grabbing a Hatsumi book off the shelf, having some coffee and reading it. Thats the great thing about those booksellers, they have a great selection and they let you just sit and read.

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
If you have a Barnes and Noble or Borders books, I would suggest grabbing a Hatsumi book off the shelf, having some coffee and reading it. Thats the great thing about those booksellers, they have a great selection and they let you just sit and read.
I agree. There are two Barnes & Noble and one "Border's" Bookstores near my home.
Heaven...
I checked though.
No Hatsumi-Sensei...:confused: :mad: :eek:
Stephen K. Hayes' old stuff, but not the Soke.

Your Brother (pass the sugar spoon)
John

B

Bushigokoro9

Brother John,

Good to hear from you. When we get together I can give you a ton of information. Depending on what is covered (ryu) depends upon the technical aspects of that tradition. There is a fundmental way the body moves but you will see a difference if you are looking at a particluar waza from one ryu to the next. My suggestion would be to start with Gyokko Ryu since it is the base or foundation of the Bujinkan. If you are interested I can give a list of books and titles. An Excellant time to come by would be this Thursday Night, Friday or Saturday. Papa-san is coming out to visit and teach for a few days. I will send you an email giving you my number. Feel free to call.

Best Regards,
Jeff

P

pknox

Wow...as for the stock in the Borders and B&N, that's kind of surprising. Here in NJ, the bookstores usually always have at least 2 or 3 copies of Soke's books (usually History and Traditions, Essence of Ninjutsu, and occasionally Stick Fighting, which was co-written with Chambers), but rarely anyone else's (except Ashida Kim's, and I wouldn't recommend those, unless you're looking for a chuckle ;) )

Latest Discussions