Nasal breathing!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many years ago on the kyokushin4life forum I remember a few guys were discussing the benefits of nasal breathing instead of mouth breathing, especially when fatigued.

For some reason I forgot all about it, then this snippet article taken from a podcast popped up: Nasal breathing for performance: James Nestor

Am really going to try consciously incorporating nasal breathing, so easy to forget when you're really gassed!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there are better ways to prevent gassing.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many years ago on the kyokushin4life forum I remember a few guys were discussing the benefits of nasal breathing instead of mouth breathing, especially when fatigued.

For some reason I forgot all about it, then this snippet article taken from a podcast popped up: Nasal breathing for performance: James Nestor

Am really going to try consciously incorporating nasal breathing, so easy to forget when you're really gassed!

I read the article and found it interesting. However, I read it as one persons opinion or experience. I don't have sinus problems but my wife has horrid problems. When she gets a little gassed her sinuses close up, she was tested with a treadmill and oxygen and nasal flow meter. Her airflow through her nose goes down to about 30%-40% when she warms up and gets exerted.
We preach breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth, which I still subscribe to. But I saw my wife pass out twice from trying to do this. Actually change my sign up Q&A because of it. When she switched to mouth breathing she never had the same problem. So I think it is person specific and just doesn't work for everyone.
I don't really buy the row boat analogy either. Rowing uses nearly every muscle in the body so yes, short choppy strokes are going to gas you. Within reason, I do not think the same can be said about breathing for the average person.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

There are many sports that recommend breathing in from the nose and out of the mouth. I never got a reason why, I was just always told it was better. The only thing I can remember from personal experience was that breathing through my nose was better controlled breathing while breathing through my mouth would usually get out of hand. I was taught to breath through my nose and out through my mouth. Eventually I learned how to breath through both my nose and my mouth, which was like a compromise. If felt like I was getting more oxygen through my mouth, but breathing through my nose at the same time helped my mouth breathing easier.

In terms of fighting I prefer breathing through my nose as keeping my mouth open is risky. More damage can occur if the mouth is struck while it's opened.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read the article and found it interesting. However, I read it as one persons opinion or experience. I don't have sinus problems but my wife has horrid problems. When she gets a little gassed her sinuses close up, she was tested with a treadmill and oxygen and nasal flow meter. Her airflow through her nose goes down to about 30%-40% when she warms up and gets exerted.
We preach breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth, which I still subscribe to. But I saw my wife pass out twice from trying to do this. Actually change my sign up Q&A because of it. When she switched to mouth breathing she never had the same problem. So I think it is person specific and just doesn't work for everyone.
I don't really buy the row boat analogy either. Rowing uses nearly every muscle in the body so yes, short choppy strokes are going to gas you. Within reason, I do not think the same can be said about breathing for the average person.

Oh for sure, obviously if you have nasal breathing issues it's not the best idea.

Oh and the rowboat analogy means just long relaxed strokes (ie breaths), rather than really short choppy breaths. It's moreso comparing those longer strokes to greater efficiency.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many sports that recommend breathing in from the nose and out of the mouth. I never got a reason why, I was just always told it was better. The only thing I can remember from personal experience was that breathing through my nose was better controlled breathing while breathing through my mouth would usually get out of hand. I was taught to breath through my nose and out through my mouth. Eventually I learned how to breath through both my nose and my mouth, which was like a compromise. If felt like I was getting more oxygen through my mouth, but breathing through my nose at the same time helped my mouth breathing easier.

In terms of fighting I prefer breathing through my nose as keeping my mouth open is risky. More damage can occur if the mouth is struck while it's opened.

Yeah the controlled thing makes sense. Doing both is a good compromise.. it's amazing how we resort to closing off the nose and doing mouth breathing.. and like in the article it 'feels' like we're getting more oxygen in with mouth breathing (bigger area), but apparently filtered and absorbed much better through the nasal passage. I'm by no means an authority on it but it's something I forgot the importance of, and I'm going to play with it a bit.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That to. But there is a lot of positional stuff as well.
Oh yeah definitely, especially less taxing positions, more efficient muscle/energy system usage etc. I like the simplicity of the breathing one, it's something you can apply at any time regardless of being dependent on situation (some exceptions haha) that may have a big impact.

But who knows! Thought I'd put it out there if helpful to anyone

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yeah definitely, especially less taxing positions, more efficient muscle/energy system usage etc. I like the simplicity of the breathing one, it's something you can apply at any time regardless of being dependent on situation (some exceptions haha) that may have a big impact.

But who knows! Thought I'd put it out there if helpful to anyone

Basically the big trick is to make them work while you rest.

So one example is if you take the canter of the ring. Then they have to move a lot more than you or they get caught in a corner. Basically they are working harder than you are.

Otherwise be first on the exchange. Then you can decide to follow up or hang back.

If you follow up they have to deal with that if you hang ack they have to spring back out then come back in. Again moving more than you do. Or moving when they are tired when you only move when you are fresh.

By the end of the fight they have actually worked harder than you.

So there are a whole bunch of things you can do that saves your energy for when you need it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh for sure, obviously if you have nasal breathing issues it's not the best idea.

Oh and the rowboat analogy means just long relaxed strokes (ie breaths), rather than really short choppy breaths. It's moreso comparing those longer strokes to greater efficiency.
Agree. I read it that way as well. In competition when you are getting gassed and possibly the crap beat out of you, there is so much rattling around in your head you generally forget and let your body do what it wants to do to get air. And I know that can be a pretty loud body response that can really affect your performance and/or desire to do so.

Latest Discussions