Tang Yik Dummy Form

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, does nobody on here from Yip Man lineage have the kneeling horse anywhere in there forms (?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, does nobody on here from Yip Man lineage have the kneeling horse anywhere in there forms (?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In our mook jong form there is a powerful groin shot- that can ne used with various applications-but Ip Man cut
the kneeling out. I don't think that WSL has a kneeling motion in the form.You can do many things as applications.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In our mook jong form there is a powerful groin shot- that can ne used with various applications-but Ip Man cut
the kneeling out. I don't think that WSL has a kneeling motion in the form.You can do many things as applications.

Hmmm. Interesting.
My pole form has it, so it's interesting to read that it apparently isn't that common (?)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
the kneeling out. I don't think that WSL has a kneeling motion in the form.
Don't have it our form either.
We do kneel in some drills.
You can do many things as applications.
Agreed!
Applying principle through concept will give rise to many application potentials. To me, it appears many are not taught that thereby being limited through enslaved to techniques or form.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't have it our form either.
We do kneel in some drills.

Agreed!
Applying principle through concept will give rise to many application potentials. To me, it appears many are not taught that thereby being limited through enslaved to techniques or form.

Yeah, I remember some contentious threads, especially on another forum, where certain people would insist the real YM Wing Chun didn't have this, that, and the other technique. No hooking punch, no uppercut, no sweeps and throws, heck, no tan-da sau!

Seemed very narrow minded to me. Concepts can be applied broadly, yielding many applications in different contexts. You don't need all that in the forms, though.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's not in the form but when Leung Ting demonstrates applications of the long pole he uses it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, I always wondered about that. There are a lot of clips of LT dropping onto one knee when demonstrating pole applications, but it's not in his form.

Since my knees are getting pretty stiff these days I decided that's just lucky for me! :D

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------
KPM was not in the Fong lineage long enough to make generalizations about all of Ip Man wing chun..

:rolleyes: And other people just posted to back up the fact that Gwai Ma is not at all a common feature of Ip Man Wing Chun. There you go again making negative comments about anything I have to say. And Gwai Ma IS in the empty-hand forms of Ku Lo Pin Sun, Tang Yik Weng Chun, and Sum Nun Wing Chun while it is NOT in the empty-hand forms of Ip Man Wing Chun.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not in the form but when Leung Ting demonstrates applications of the long pole he uses it.

Yeah, I always wondered about that. There are a lot of clips of LT dropping onto one knee when demonstrating pole applications, but it's not in his form.

Since my knees are getting pretty stiff these days I decided that's just lucky for me! :D

Yak...Geezer...
So, if I'm understanding you both correctly, you both learned pole form from LT, and it did not contain the kneeling horse/gwai ma? Yet, somehow, LT uses it anyway? Correct? Or did I misinterpret? Thx fellas.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't learn the pole form from LT, but from one of his Hong Kong students, Alan Fong. But you are correct, our pole form, at least how it was taught to me, did not contain that particular stance.
LT could have picked it up from another lineage or he may have learned it directly from YM, I don't know.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't learn the pole form from LT, but from one of his Hong Kong students, Alan Fong. But you are correct, our pole form, at least how it was taught to me, did not contain that particular stance.
LT could have picked it up from another lineage or he may have learned it directly from YM, I don't know.

Ok, cool. Thx Yak

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yak...Geezer...
So, if I'm understanding you both correctly, you both learned pole form from LT, and it did not contain the kneeling horse/gwai ma? Yet, somehow, LT uses it anyway? Correct? Or did I misinterpret? Thx fellas.

I only learned the basic pole exercises from LT. Later, long after I had left LT's association, I learned the form from my si-dei who learned it from LT and also practiced it with some EWTO people. It is a very short form of about 28 movements (people count them differently). The kneeling stance does not appear in the form itself.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
That stance is in the Tang Yak pole form. So perhaps LT saw it at some point and incorporated it into his drills and practice.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I only learned the basic pole exercises from LT. Later, long after I had left LT's association, I learned the form from my si-dei who learned it from LT and also practiced it with some EWTO people. It is a very short form of about 28 movements (people count them differently). The kneeling stance does not appear in the form itself.
Thx Geez

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
That stance is in the Tang Yak pole form. So perhaps LT saw it at some point and incorporated it into his drills and practice.

That's a plausible explanation. I also wonder if YM took it out of the pole form at some point as he got older or as he apparently streamlined his WC?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@geezer and @yak sao
I wonder if you two's pole form would be the same since you both learned it from students of LT(?).
From reading forums and such, and from posts of Geezer, I've learned that there are many different 'LT'-type organizations out there; as well as differences in Europe-based WT vs HK-based(?). Is that accurate?

As for LT's kneeling horse...if he incorporated it into his drills, you'd think he would have added it into his forms(?).

Latest Discussions