Tang Yik Dummy Form

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope Keith doesn't mind me posting this here, I thought it was really interesting to watch:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow. Interesting. Quite different from what I was expecting. Thx for posting.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not my best performance! Sifu Tang would say I still have too many "Wing Chun-isms". ;) He does the form with much more speed and power. In Tang Yik Weng Chun the dummy is seen as a way to develop power...much like a boxer working the heavy bag.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not my best performance! Sifu Tang would say I still have too many "Wing Chun-isms". ;) He does the form with much more speed and power. In Tang Yik Weng Chun the dummy is seen as a way to develop power...much like a boxer working the heavy bag.

Interesting. Is something like this more representative of what Sifu Tang would look for in the form?

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Is something like this more representative of what Sifu Tang would look for in the form?

Not that I am anyone to speak about the Shaolin Weng Chun dummy form but is his posture not a little forward leaning with a lack of alignment at his core? Just curious as it can be argued both for and against but still for this type of training I would probably not prefer it. Then again I do not practise Shaolin Weng Chun and as such by opinion is void already.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope Keith doesn't mind me posting this here, I thought it was really interesting to watch:

What's going on from 1:13-1:18? Reminds me of Silat or some of the FMA stuff we do. Not anything like the WC I've experienced. Kinda interesting!

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not that I am anyone to speak about the Shaolin Weng Chun dummy form but is his posture not a little forward leaning with a lack of alignment at his core? Just curious as it can be argued both for and against but still for this type of training I would probably not prefer it. Then again I do not practise Shaolin Weng Chun and as such by opinion is void already.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor Structure

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes! And the beginning he bobs up and down a little too much, but he is putting in more power. This is Ignatius Siu's son, Chu Chong Man lineage.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that I am anyone to speak about the Shaolin Weng Chun dummy form but is his posture not a little forward leaning with a lack of alignment at his core? .

Nope! In Weng Chun the posture varies between straight up and down as in Wing Chun and a forward posture with alignment of "toes, knees, & nose" similar to Hung Kuen. In this forward posture you still use centerline theory and techniques in the same way, and it is a very strong structure for putting out forward pressure/power.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor Structure

Wrong again! Why do you always have something negative to say when it comes to anything other than Ip Man Wing Chun?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's going on from 1:13-1:18? Reminds me of Silat or some of the FMA stuff we do. Not anything like the WC I've experienced. Kinda interesting!

Gwai Ma! Ku Lo Pin Sun Wing Chun and Weng Chun both have this "hanging stance" that allows for several things.....it is a level change to go under a kick or to strike low with power without leaning over, it is a way to drop down on an opponent that has fallen on the ground, and it is a way to add downward power to various Chin Na techniques.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^ Forgot to mention....it is in Sum Nun Wing Chun as well. Ip Man Wing Chun seems to be the "outlier" in NOT having this stance!

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
^^^ Forgot to mention....it is in Sum Nun Wing Chun as well. Ip Man Wing Chun seems to be the "outlier" in NOT having this stance!
KPM - when you were learning yip man WC it didn't have it? I don't recall which version you were studying...was it a Moy yat or....?
Thx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
KPM - when you were learning yip man WC it didn't have it? I don't recall which version you were studying...was it a Moy yat or....?
Thx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ho Kam Ming/Augustine Fong lineage.....didn't have it. William Cheung lineage....didn't have it. I do have Wayne Belanoha's books where he documents Moy Yat lineage in great detail....doesn't have it. I have Randy Williams' original book series that goes into great detail....doesn't have it. Now some may give it a brief nod in their Knife form, but don't make use of it in an empty-hand context at all.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never saw those moves in any of the WT forms that I learned (I never learned the last 2/3 of the BCD). We did train gwai-ma (similar to 1:13 and 1:14 in the video above) and used it to pin and control a downed opponent with our knees. However, I never saw a bent-over, crouching move like what is shown at 1:15 and 1:16 in WT or other YM WC though.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never saw those moves in any of the WT forms that I learned (I never learned the last 2/3 of the BCD). We did train gwai-ma (similar to 1:13 and 1:14 in the video above) and used it to pin and control a downed opponent with our knees. However, I never saw a bent-over, crouching move like what is shown at 1:15 and 1:16 in WT or other YM WC though.

Like I said...not my best performance! ;) Probably bending over too much in order to do the strike.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like I said...not my best performance! ;) Probably bending over too much in order to do the strike.

Hmmm... it looks like you know your stuff to me. You know you could shoot a good single leg from that position. Wrestling in WC ...now there's a thought!!!

Reactions: KPM

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ho Kam Ming/Augustine Fong lineage.....didn't have it. William Cheung lineage....didn't have it. I do have Wayne Belanoha's books where he documents Moy Yat lineage in great detail....doesn't have it. I have Randy Williams' original book series that goes into great detail....doesn't have it. Now some may give it a brief nod in their Knife form, but don't make use of it in an empty-hand context at all.
---------------------------------------------
KPM was not in the Fong lineage long enough to make generalizations about all of Ip Man wing chun. The Ho/Fong Ip Man lineage makes a distinction
between form and application. Some of KPM's moves would be applications not form. In Ip Man wc one can
do many things as applications. Ip Man trimmed many applications out so that the form can be worked on. Sure one can dip down to adjust to a specific circumstance. It would be ok just to call it a Tang Yik form. Without a context- dipping down low could be risky.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
-- In Ip Man wc one can do many things as applications. Ip Man trimmed many applications out so that the form can be worked on. Sure one can dip down to adjust to a specific circumstance. Without a context- dipping down low could be risky.

Agreed, in my experience of YM VT, form is about core principles, structure, and concepts. That's why the forms are trimmed down compared to some other lineages and other styles of TCMA.

And I also agree that re applications, context is everything. In the right context, I can imagine some good applications for KPM's moves. Whether they belong in the form is not my concern since that's not my lineage!

Latest Discussions