Take down your opponent during his weight shifting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Kung Fu Wang, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

If you can force your opponent to shift weight from one leg to another, when his weight is on one leg, if you trip/sweep/hook that leg, he will fall.

Here is one example. You hook your opponent's left leg, when he lifts up that leg, you scoop his right leg while it has 100% of his weight.

If you apply this strategy, you can create many combo to achieve that goal. What's your opinion on this strategy?

2. wab25

wab25 Black Belt

The guy taking the fall needs to learn how to fall without hitting his head...

I think Judo teaches a combo like that: o uchi gari and ko uchi gari. Start with either, then switch back and forth. I have seen other variations, where they switch to uchi mata from ko uchi gari (that one is actually quite fun).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Prostar

Prostar Orange Belt

I have always said that if you know where your opponent will be next, you got him. Doesn't matter if it is a sweep or another technique.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    IMO, a lot of "aiki" training is about getting a feel for weight shifts and weight commitment, so it can be recognized early and used. It's a different version of what you're talking about here, as most aiki techniques (or aiki application of technique) require this in a more absolute fashion. Judo uses some of the same, but with less reliance on finesse (for one thing, they're okay with inducing the step rather than waiting for one).

In short, I agree - this exists in different ways in a lot of arts, and is a major principle for grappling. Failure to apply this principle accounts for a lot of the failures of relatively new students to be able to execute technique.

5. TaiChiTJ

TaiChiTJ Brown Belt

It is an excellent strategy, worth practicing.

6. lansao

lansao Purple Belt

If you bop’m just right while he’s regaining balance you’ll knock him to the ground with little effort.

7. Ryan_

Ryan_ Green Belt

Video is unavailable. Definitely a good strategy described though. Also if they're kicking you, they'll have their weight on one leg, and you may be able to force them to fall by moving out the way and shifting their leg further than they intended. (I did this before in real situation, person did fall)

• Like Like x 1
  8. lansao

lansao Purple Belt

Gum Sao?

9. Ryan_

Ryan_ Green Belt

I've only studied Choi Kwang Do/Kong Soo Do and Bujinkan Ninjutsu, but the reason I did that was purely instinct in the moment.

• Like Like x 1