Taekwondo Description - help??

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Ok, that's 4 votes for Damian's description so far.

If you have any objections, post them now.

In the next couple of days or so, unless we have some opposition, I'll PM arnisador and ask him to change it to:
Tae Kwon do is the fastest growing and most practiced martial art in the world. Primarily a striking art with a heavy emphasis on kicking. Tae Kwon Do is now an Olympic event.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give it a couple more days, see if any more feedback comes in.

Personally, I like it. Its clean, simple and non-political.

I'll queue this up to recheck in a few days and if things still loog good, will update it early next week.

If I don't, someone PM me and -please- remind me. (I'm in the middle of a big project at the moment)

Thanks!
:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, including those who PMed me! I'm just back in town today after a trip. We'll discuss it amongst the admins. soon. It certainly looks like an improvement!

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're ready to make the change. I've made two slight modifications--one grammatical, but also a qualifier (isn't Tai Chi the most practiced art?). Any comments? Excluding Tai Chi, I'd agree it's the most popular.

Tae Kwon Do is one of the fastest growing and most practiced martial arts in the world. Primarily a striking art with a heavy emphasis on kicking, Tae Kwon Do is now an Olympic event.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by arnisador
We're ready to make the change. I've made two slight modifications--one grammatical, but also a qualifier (isn't Tai Chi the most practiced art?). Any comments? Excluding Tai Chi, I'd agree it's the most popular.

Tae Kwon Do is one of the fastest growing and most practiced martial arts in the world. Primarily a striking art with a heavy emphasis on kicking, Tae Kwon Do is now an Olympic event.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-
Is it practiced as a martial art, or as a yoga type thing with no martial qualities whatsoever? Not even push-hands.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made the change. It's no hassle to change it again if people don't like the changes I suggested. In fact, please check it for errors!

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is only my humble opinion:

There are several big players in the TKD world. Only one is Olympic style. You may want to comment about not only an Olympic event, but a traditional martial art, or some such. If you do not do Kukki-TKD you do not do Olympic TKD. Kukki-TKD is the only branch recognized by the IOC.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The description just mentions that it is also part of the olympics. The main part is that it is a martial art.

I'll look into some statistics... unless someone else can do it, but I was under the impression that TKD had more practicing members than any art worldwide. Maybe there's enough Chinese in China doing Tai Chi to make that untrue... but is what they are doing serious Tai Chi or just morning stretching?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo is the world's most popular martial art, with 1.3 active participants in the United States alone.

Many Chinese have nothing to do with martial art because a) you can't eat it - their words and b)it wasn't until the last few years that the communist government realized the financial value of its martial culture, though the exact year that the support came to be, escapes me currently.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"with 1.3 active participants in the United States alone"

Wow TKD isn't very popular in the States at all!! I'd hate to be that .3 guy......

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Damian,

You busted my typo... lol... that was supposed to be 1.3 million practictioners.

hehe

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let me clarify,

Taiji as improperly, and commonly, practice is NOT a martial art. It is a new-age, feel good, pseudo spiritual path. I have been doing taijiquan for over 20 years, and I can count on one hand the number of people that I have personally met that actually have a clue what the quan means, and its use and importance.

In my journeys, I have actually been in towns, Indianapolis being one of them, where there are not that many practitioners and people who work at gyms do not know what it is. (That is a rarity and is not meant to be indicative of the entire city - I hope!)

For those reasons, I would still say TKD. At least they tend to have a general idea of the self defense aspects of the art. Without the martial part it cannot be a martial art.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I hope it doesn't become an arguement over which is more popular.

:( :(

Latest Discussions