Taekwondo Description - help??

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Tae-Kwon-Do
One of the most popular sports and martial arts in the world. Primarily a kicking art, there is often a greater emphasis on the sport aspect of the Art.

This is the current description of TKD on the website. It comes across as a "not so positive" description towards the art in my eyes. I brought this to the I was just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions as to what we might ask the Mods to change it to.

:asian:Any input is appreciated.:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're certainly open to this! Contact an admin. by PM if a conclusion is reached.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
M

MountainSage

Thunder Foot,
I,ve been in TKD for over 2 1/2 years, so I speak from a position of participating in the art. You will probably not find a way to put a positive spin on the TKD as seen outside of Korea. Our Grandmasters in a rush to be important have minimize a quality art down to the few technique necessary to be in sport. Most of the TKD folks on this forum aren't sporting type people and will work, hopefully, to correct this problem with TKD. I advise to give-up on the description because no matter what you write some yahoo will find a probelm wiht it.

Mountain Sage

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Actually this thread is to make suggas to what we should change it to.

What do you guys think about...

"One of the most popular Martial Arts in the world, developed in Korea. Taekwondo's dynamic kicking was used in Ancient times to knockdown soldiers on horseback."

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt
Taekwondo's dynamic kicking was used in Ancient times to knockdown soldiers on horseback.

I seriously doubt the truth of that. That sounds like it's just WTF advertising BS. The phrase "dynamic kicking" sounds cool though.

Hey Thunder_Foot, empty your inbox, would ya? I tried to reply to your questions, but everything I typed got lost cause there was no room in your PM inbox.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Sport TKD is obviously just kicking most of the time.

Combat TKD is a bit different, with many hand techniques, grappling, and ground work.

I think a better description would talk about some of the history of TKD on how it was formed after the Japanese occupation in Korea and how it basically united many different branches.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

:MartialArtist: - would you be so kind as to give us an example?

OP
T

TKDman

How about something saying that TKD is the number one most practiced martial art in the world. TKD has also been an Olympic sport for decades.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I won't word it precisely, but I'll mention some of the things that should be added or at least taken in consideration. It's the admins who are supposed to word it ;) Pick and choose what to add.

- These earliest forms of Korean martial arts are known as 'Taek Kyon' (Dated 50 BC)

- Hwarang warriors (comparable to the samurai or European nights) practiced Taekyon and Soo Bakh Do.

After the Japanese occupation, schools opened up with independent systems.

Chung Do Kwan
Moo Duk Kwan
Yun Moo Kwan
Chang Moo Kwan
Oh Do Kwan
Ji Do Kwan
Chi Do Kwan
Song Moo Kwan

The Kwans united in 1955 as Tae Soo Do. In the beginning of 1957, the name Taekwondo was adopted by several Korean martial arts masters, for its similarity to the name Tae Kyon.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by MartialArtist
I won't word it precisely, but I'll mention some of the things that should be added or at least taken in consideration. It's the admins who are supposed to word it ;) Pick and choose what to add.

- These earliest forms of Korean martial arts are known as 'Taek Kyon' (Dated 50 BC)

- Hwarang warriors (comparable to the samurai or European nights) practiced Taekyon and Soo Bakh Do.

After the Japanese occupation, schools opened up with independent systems.

Chung Do Kwan
Moo Duk Kwan
Yun Moo Kwan
Chang Moo Kwan
Oh Do Kwan
Ji Do Kwan
Chi Do Kwan
Song Moo Kwan

The Kwans united in 1955 as Tae Soo Do. In the beginning of 1957, the name Taekwondo was adopted by several Korean martial arts masters, for its similarity to the name Tae Kyon.

Alot of merit in this posting by Martial Artist. If someone can tailor it in a way to mention a big part of this in a description, it should be postive, and honest.:asian:

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

What do you think about mentioning General Choi? and his time spent in Japan?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt
What do you think about mentioning General Choi? and his time spent in Japan?

Therin lies the problem.(I thinK) There are many others that also had lots to do with the growth of TKD, and the different kwans they represented. How are those people represented?

About Japan, I feel many will overlook that by now. No one can dispute the fact that the Japanese had a great amount of influence, add to the fact it was not by choice either.:asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tae Kwon do is the fastest growing and most practiced martial art in the world. Primarily a striking art with a heavy emphasis on kicking. Tae Kwon do is now an Olympic event.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Damian Mavis
Tae Kwon do is the fastest growing and most practiced martial art in the world. Primarily a striking art with a heavy emphasis on kicking. Tae Kwon do is now an Olympic event.
B]

Simple and concise. And we don't have to start an argument over the history with this one. I'll give it my vote.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Great post Damien.

I believe I like that one. Any objections or additions that anyone would like to input?

:asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it could also add "TKD is a great anaerobic capacity enhancer" :D

This link expands on what I'm talkin' about.

(I'm just joking aobut adding it into the forum description.)

Latest Discussions