Taekwondo and Hapikido

Matt.A

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I have a 1st DAN in TKD. I would like to learn some hapkido but not sure I want to commit to the full program. Is it wrong to think that? Would I insult the school if I say "I just want to learn some but not go throu all the ranks".

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I have a 1st DAN in TKD. I would like to learn some hapkido but not sure I want to commit to the full program. Is it wrong to think that? Would I insult the school if I say "I just want to learn some but not go throu all the ranks".
The last TKD dojang I trained in included HKD based grapples, locks, and throws. Not a full program, but it was an excellent supplement to the taekwondo class and it was a lot of fun.

As for whether or not it would insult the school to ask to learn a streamlined curriculum, I would say no, but at the same time, most schools tend to not want to teach their art that way.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not at all. I don't know many people who decide they want are going to "learn the whole program" when they first start training (especially since most MA's have curricula that go up to 5th dan or higher). Just enroll and learn as much as you want and then quit when you have reached whatever rank you set out to achieve. You could end up really enjoying your experience and continue training past what you thought you would, too, of course.

Now if you mean would it be insulting to ask just to learn specific techniques, then that might be considered an insult, depending on the instructors. I don't know of any schools off hand that would teach someone just, for example, wrist locks. You might be able to take some seminars or workshops on particular types of techniques, but that would be different than enrolling in a school per se.

Pax,

Chris

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all. I don't know many people who decide they want are going to "learn the whole program" when they first start training (especially since most MA's have curricula that go up to 5th dan or higher). Just enroll and learn as much as you want and then quit when you have reached whatever rank you set out to achieve. You could end up really enjoying your experience and continue training past what you thought you would, too, of course.

Now if you mean would it be insulting to ask just to learn specific techniques, then that might be considered an insult, depending on the instructors. I don't know of any schools off hand that would teach someone just, for example, wrist locks. You might be able to take some seminars or workshops on particular types of techniques, but that would be different than enrolling in a school per se.

Pax,

Chris

Wouldn't it be difficult in any case just to try and learn certain things? I've been to different styles classes and the one thing they tend to have in common with their teaching is that the class will cover more than one thing in a lesson, so in one lesson you could have say wrist locks then some pad work then some kicks for instance, you could hardly just do the wrist locks and either wait till they are doing them or leave after they've done what you wanted to do. Most instructors plan their lessons based on the curriculum and work to make it interesting with what the students need to progress.
Would private lessons be better or would the instructors want the student to work through the curriculum anyway?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a 1st DAN in TKD. I would like to learn some hapkido but not sure I want to commit to the full program. Is it wrong to think that?

From what you've said, you're not sure if you want to commit to a full program. I would suggest that at this time, you don't have enough information to make an informed decision. What I'm saying is that after trying several classes, you may find out that you absolutely wish to commit to a full program. Or you many find that Hapkido isn't for you at all. Does the TKD school you train at (I'm assuming you're still training in TKD at a TKD school?) offer a Hapkido program? Or is there one in your area? What do they offer as far as training? Does it fit your schedule? If your unconcerned about rank advancement would they allow you to train without it? Also, do you want to continue to progress in TKD? Are you thinking about discontinuing advancement in TKD in favor of possibly going into HKD?

Your answers would help to formulate the best plan of action.

Edited to add: See if it would be possible to try HKD for say, three months. No, you won't learn everything in three months, but it will give you an idea of whether or not you want to devote all, some or none of your time in the art.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Been there, I was a 1st dan and went to Kenpo karate Studio and told the sensei I just wanted to learns some Kenpo to enhance my hand techs in my TKD and that I don't want to deal with tests and belts just learn some new moves and techs.
I studied Kanpo for a year and become an orange belt (IKKA) then I made my second dan black belt in TKD and I maybe next year if economics allow me I will try another martial art.

Manny

OP
Matt.A

Matt.A

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do want to continue with TKD. Right now I have TKD classes, I train in triathlon during the summer, I have a young family and I am active with a veterans gourp. I would lke to learn some HKD but do not want to give up any of that. Time is my biggest issue.

OP
Matt.A

Matt.A

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK, so I decided to just join a school. I started Hapkido last week and they do some Judo too so thats cool.

Latest Discussions