Tabs in the Red Binder

B

bzarnett

What where the tabs that where included in the red binder?

Cheers,
Bryan

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember those binders were a product of the 70's. Those Tabs are now Diet Cokes. :)

Jeff

OP
B

bzarnett

In the 80's (I think that was the time line), the Mr. Parker published for the IKKA a red binder containing the material. Inside the binder there where a series of tabs on a variety of subject matters from formalities to anatomy. Not all the tabs where filled out.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe they were for you to fill out and keep orginized as you take notes and further your study and understand ing of the art.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
D_Brady said:
:idunno: What red binder
The Accumulative Journal that Mr. Parker used to sell.....

This is the "old" one that is embossed on the front...

Attachments

• $BigReda.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 267
  • $BigRedb.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 258

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very cool, I have to ask, when did you recieve that one and Do you have ones for your group as well.

Thank you,

Dan.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
D_Brady said:
Very cool, I have to ask, when did you recieve that one and Do you have ones for your group as well. Thank you, Dan
Oh gosh.... I probably have had this one since around 1978.

No I have not yet created one for my material as of yet, but it is a good idea.

:asian:

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Oh gosh.... I probably have had this one since around 1978.

No I have not yet created one for my material as of yet, but it is a good idea.

What might you include in yours, I say might because I know this short notice with the question.

Thank you.

Dan.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Thanks for posting the photos of the Red Binder.

Any chance in posting some of the material that is inside too ?

Chicago Green Dragon

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
D_Brady said:
What might you include in yours? Thank you. Dan.
I have individual "student manuals" for each rank which contain pertinent material required for each rank. These particular manuals are good for the beginning student to reference the material that they are currently learning so as to be an aid at this time.

The "Accumulative Journal" {Teacher Manual} type of notebook is encouraged and a necessity for a more detailed technical "teaching" study center on each area of study. For example, there are several "SECTIONS" such as ... Introduction, Formalities, Basics, Forms & Sets, Technique, Weapons training, Drills, History & Time Lines, Human Anatomy, Terminology, Illustrations, Teaching Skills, and so forth...... I strongly encourage the use of "plastic pocket sheets" to put your material in and not have holes punched in all the material then you will be able to "update" and note when the student gained new knowledge and only have to print out a new section instead of an entire book. Within these sections the student needs to break down the topics into several pages of supporting facts and focal points.

Lets take The Self Defense Techniques for an example.....

The first portion will have a alphabetical, categorical (16 & 24) per belt and per the web of knowledge, directional, & master key breakdown of the Base 154 & optional techniques to the system. Then the following section will take each individual technique and further break it down and examine it's components...

I'll use Delayed Sword as an example......

The 1st section/s will have the technical read out [description] of the technique.
The 2nd section/s will have the [notes] on this technique {this includes the reason for the name, the theme, the ideal phase of the attack, some what if's that could be applicable}
The 3rd section/s will have exactly what the technique [contains and what it teaches] to the student
The 4th section/s will contain the [principles] per each segment of the technique
The 5th section/s will contain the [foot work] patterns of the technique
The 6th section/s will contain a [photo breakdown] to the technique
The 7th section/s will contain the [master key & family related moves]
The 8th section/s will contain [any other miscellaneous notes] associated with the technique.

That should give you a little insight into your question from my perspective.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Very nice

So when can some one get a copy ?

Chicago Green Dragon

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. C:

Got my copy of the red binder 20-ish years ago, with the understanding that many of the empty tabs would have subsequent material/handouts released (upon completion) for insertion into the compilation. Do you know if that end of the project ever found completion? Still have empty tabs glaring at me every time I walk down memory lane. I haven't wanted to fill in IKKA tabs with personal stuff (i.e., great anatomy charts and notes from Chiro college; Acupunk charts, etc.). So, part 2, were they meant to wait for subsequent material, or were they meant to fill with stuff acquired along the journey, regardless of source?

Regards,

Dave

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Very nice
So when can some one get a copy ?
Chicago Green Dragon
Thank you.

This material is what I have personally learned, gathered, collected, and innovated with throughout my Journey thru American Kenpo, I share this material in detail to my loyal organization members and personal students that are dedicated and committed to learning the Art as I teach it in it's entirety.

A little old fashioned .... maybe.... but that's how I am. :)

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

You are very welcome and I respect and admire your way.

Chicago Green Dragon

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Mr. C:
Got my copy of the red binder 20-ish years ago, with the understanding that many of the empty tabs would have subsequent material/handouts released (upon completion) for insertion into the compilation.
Do you know if that end of the project ever found completion? Still have empty tabs glaring at me every time I walk down memory lane. I haven't wanted to fill in IKKA tabs with personal stuff (i.e., great anatomy charts and notes from Chiro college; Acupunk charts, etc.).
Regards, Dave

No, it never did find completion

So, part 2, were they meant to wait for subsequent material, or were they meant to fill with stuff acquired along the journey, regardless of source?
Regards, Dave

In the beginning the initial intention WAS to fill the tabs with "official IKKA" material but for what ever reason the project was constantly on the "back burner" in Mr. Parker's priority list.

So after nearly 24 years now....:) It would probably be safe to say that it is ok to fill and expand them with what ever you so desire from whatever sources you may choose or follow your personal Associations guidelines to the subject.:ultracool

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
So after nearly 24 years now....:)
Point taken. (and they said I was slow :) )

Sorry the project never saw completion: I've been holding out, hoping it did, and I just fell outta the loop. One of those, "someday I'll fill these in" things.

No true association guidelines anymore (yet), but some awesome resources from some great teachers that I'll finally have a home for.

Thanks,

D.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No true association guidelines anymore (yet), but some awesome resources from some great teachers that I'll finally have a home for.
Thanks,D.
Well, there are many excellent instructors out there, find one you like and continue your journey! Several close to you {as you are already aware of} and some not so close but reachable.

If you ever need names and numbers... feel free to call me.

Kenpoaloha,
480-483-0709 - H
602-469-1209 - C
[email protected]

OP
B

bzarnett

Introduction
Formalities
Basics
Forms & Sets