Systema in motion...

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Neat! I liked how smooth and effortless you make the techniques look. Good moving out of the way/using joint locks/pins/ & using the other guys momentum (sp?) against him.

Robyn :popcorn:

OP
P

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed them.

I am putting an article together on striking. It will have some clips attached to it. I will post a link here when I get it sorted.

Paul Genge

OP
P

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also forgot there is article here that covers taking strikes to the body. It contains a clip on page two.

Paul Genge

F

first123class

I like the gun video, not sure the knife would work.

Are you supposed to be that relaxed?

OP
P

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes you are ment to be relaxed. Tense muscles cut easier for a start.

I had a private student from a kenpo background have the same reservations until I taught him using a slightly blunted filleting knife. This guy is a butcher by trade and appreciates what a knife can do. He went away convinced.

Tension stops you moving freely. When faced with a knife free movement is an essential.

Paul Genge

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
looked at the knife video, good stuff very effective. very similar to aikido and ju jitsu. very relaxed. going to check out the rest.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very good stuff. relaxed, effective and simple. The only move that looked forced was the rear choke in the chair but that was done in the 'final stage' of the choke so it shouldn't have been able to be done as relaxed as the others. Very interesting.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great Clips Paul... very impressive demo.

OP
P

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Very good stuff. relaxed, effective and simple. The only move that looked forced was the rear choke in the chair but that was done in the 'final stage' of the choke so it shouldn't have been able to be done as relaxed as the others. Very interesting.
In systema we encourage our body to react to the first sign of fear that is caused by our attackers movement or actions. We should therefore move and escape the lock or throw preventing it from taking hold.

If caught out, as in this case, it takes greater effort to escape and the work is less clean. It is only by doing this unclean work and then evaluating it that we can polish our body movement.

Thankyou for your positive comments. It is appreciated.

Paul Genge

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great clips
I always enjoy watching people who study Systema demonstrate techniques

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
SHEESH!!! So relaxed! Almost looked like you were bored... :)

Those were some great clips. Makes me want to take a good, hard look at systema...

Every situation ended with the aggressor on the ground. Lots of circular motion. I think that I even saw some motion that guided the opponent downward in a spiraling/swirling manner. Love the subtle leg work.

Great stuff!

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Paul,
Great to see you are posting some Systema VidClips on Martialtalk.
Paul Genge is a quality Systema Instructor with a solid Martial Arts backround, having trained with Paul I can assure you that his training methods are effective also what you see on these clips is just the tip of the iceberg!!
Systema works well with Kenpo (it does for me anyway).
I always tell my students "that one real lesson in Kenpo, should be a lesson of self improvment" , well "I" would say the same about Systema ("real" being the important bit).
Good Luck Paul
Richard

P

paradoxbox

I can't help but notice how similar some of the movements are to stuff contained in Gyokko ryu (Ninpo Taijutsu). For example in one of the kick defenses you allowed him to kick, moved slightly to the side and forward and allowed him to fall onto your leg, resulting him falling backwards.. This is almost a mirror image of 'Koku' found in Gyokko ryu..

Very interesting :)

OP
P

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are right there is a lot of similarities between the movement of the Bujinkan and systema. That is why Bujinkan students tend to pick up systema quickley.

Some people simply like to learn systema's drills and add it to their standard Bujinkan training to compliment what they are already doing. This works well because there is no fixed attacks in the drills and the student quickley learns to move instinctually, which is different when practicing kihon and henka.

Paul Genge

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno Paul, it looked far too relaxed for a violent situation. You were practically mocking those guys. Could you explain the first two defenses against a knife? I'd like to know how that movement around the head makes the other guy fall, or maybe there were other movements I missed.

A further question: Could the tall wiry teen have pulled off those techniques against a heavy-set guy like you?

Latest Discussions