swords or nunchuks

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I want to take up a weapon but I can't decide between nunchuks or sword. Nunchuks are cool to see in action but I've been reading "The power and the way.Secrets of Japanese strategy" and I like that. It deals with swords. Who does nunchuks,who does swords and why do you like the one you prefer?

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did "informal" training with the nunchaku back in the '70s (it was a Bruce Lee thing) and have since trained (formally) with the katana (Kenpo) and the jian (T'ai Chi Ch'uan) and have found that the sword has a special "feeling" which the 'chuks lack. This may just be a personal thing, but I've heard others say the same thing. If you should find that the sword doesn't feel right, there's always time to try the nunchaku. I hope this helps. Good luck!:)

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
I did "informal" training with the nunchaku back in the '70s (it was a Bruce Lee thing) and have since trained (formally) with the katana (Kenpo) and the jian (T'ai Chi Ch'uan) and have found that the sword has a special "feeling" which the 'chuks lack. This may just be a personal thing, but I've heard others say the same thing. If you should find that the sword doesn't feel right, there's always time to try the nunchaku. I hope this helps. Good luck!:)

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

The sword is a more controlled weapon. Nunchaku can be controlled as well, but they are far more difficult to become truly skilled with.

Just a thought,
Billy Lear, UKS :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sword play is nice for show but if you truly are in the art for self defense. Nunchakus are more conceilable, hence more usefull.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sword play is nice for show but if you truly are in the art for self defense. Nunchakus are more conceilable, hence more usefull.

Counter argument:

Sword is translatable to stick use either single or double hands, while nunchaku is a silly weapon as an EDC self-defence weapon (not to mention it is often illegal.)

I vote sword, way way more interesting, and it stops you from looking like a Bruce Lee wannabe. :)

Lamont

J

Jill666

I agree with Mr. Lear- having trained with both, I'd advise the long weapon. You can always pick up the nunchucks later. Plus, unless you plan on carrying the 'chucks everywhere, concealed (if it's even legal in your area), it's better to know how to use a long weapon. You can always find a stick. I actually started with a bo, as my first weapon.

Both are cool and fun, and I think the sword is more practical, but also there is a spiritual side to swordsmanship I like. My opinion.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, as you think about catagories of weapons, and yes, I also train with both, there are two types, flexible and rigid. Sword, staff, spear, Tiger Fork, Monk's Spade, sticks, jo, chinese fan, etc., fall into the "Rigid" or "Inflexible" catagory and are considered "easier" to learn. When you enter the flexible weapons, Nunchaku are the simplest of the catagory. 2 sectional staff or 3 sectional staff, rope darts, whips, lariat, etc. are more difficult to learn, and hence usually learned later, (in traditional systems.)

Now in the United States Bruce Lee made a big splash with them and they moved rapidly into the tournament circuit. Basically an Okinawan weapon, they are different from the Chinese longer weapons, and translated over into all types and styles of Martial Arts. This does not make the true martial application any easier ... just more popular.

Most rigid weapons have some aspect that given a lessor degree of difficulty, translates over into the flexible weapons catagory, and vice-vesa, but less so.

Decide which you want to do, and go for it. You can always go back and learn the other weapon next.

Oss!

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personally, I'd start with a bo, because long sticks are more likely to be handy (pool cue?) than edged weapons. after that, I'd pick sword. nunchaku are cool, but there are fewer people who use the sword, so you'll stand out if you enter a weaps division.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm hardly an authority on weapons, but it seems to me that something like nunchuks has fewer angles of attack available than the more "rigid" weapons.

As far hypothetical self-defense situations go: with a sword, you would only need one hand on your weapon to parry a blow from another weapon. This could leave your other hand free for another attack. With nunchuks, you'd need to use both your hands to parry.

But who the hell carries a sword at their side when they go to the ATM at night?

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not just take up both? They're varied enough to give you a broader range of skills, so there's no realy reason to choose one over the other outright I don't think...although swords are certainly more elegant and ladylike! hehe

If you want to learn to properly fight with one, a sword will take years, nunchucks will take 5 minutes*.

Ian.

* well, in my opinion anyway. All the flashy nunchucks stuff it just for fun, if you want to take someone out with a pair then it's just a flail, which is about the most intuitive weapon you can use. Chamber it, swing it, chamber it etc.. I'm sure some people will disagree though! :p

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
I agree with Mr. Lear- having trained with both, I'd advise the long weapon. You can always pick up the nunchucks later. Plus, unless you plan on carrying the 'chucks everywhere, concealed (if it's even legal in your area), it's better to know how to use a long weapon. You can always find a stick. I actually started with a bo, as my first weapon.

Both are cool and fun, and I think the sword is more practical, but also there is a spiritual side to swordsmanship I like. My opinion.
Jill, I agree with you. You make some very good points.It is the spiritual side I'd like to delve into more and I do carry a big stick when I walk or jog because of the loose dogs around here. Learning bo staff or sword would help me use that stick a lot better. Thanks, everyone.:)

nahkohewalker

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been training with nunchuks for about 27 years. The sword is also a very good weapon. But in using both I find that with the nunchuks I can flow alot better with them than the sword but I've only been working with the sword for about 9 months. Control comes with pratice in anything that you do. So what ever you choose as long as you put all of effort into learning that weapon I'm sure that you will do well. Both take time to learn so be patience.

E

Elfan

Neither is particuarly useful for practical self defense as you are unlikely to find anything like it your natural environment. Choose whichever one is more fun/you think is cooler.

R

roryneil

Where do you train for sword? I observed an Aikido class and they did this dumb thing where they are about 20 feet apart and step slowly twords eachother until they tips of the swords are almost touching, and that's about it. Really lame. I would like to find a kendo class, where you take the Shinai (bamboo sword) and really get some contact. Do we have anything like that in the area Mr Billings?
Also, it seems as though training with a partner is inpractical with nunchuks. With sword, you can use a stick or something else to simulate, have light contact, and "come up short" with a strike. With nunchuks, once you start the arc of your strike at a target, you can't "come up short", as the swing will continue itself. Yes I know there are those foam chuks, but when you get a real pair in your hands your wrists will give out in about two minutes. They are not very realistic.

T

tonbo

Personally, I like both, but for different reasons.

The nunchucks are great for learning flow, and for learning how to control a more flexible weapon. It may be a more "intuitive" weapon, but I would argue that it isn't any easier than your basic stick. With nunchucks, you have to know how to get your weapon back into motion after making contact, how to best move it into position again after you miss, so on and so forth. It takes a bit of practice, but can be pretty easy to pick up. After that, it takes the usual "long time" to master...;)

Sword is at the core of my heart. There is a beauty and grace about a blade that just can't be beat. As has been mentioned, sword translates easily into stick (single or double), knife, and even empty hand. I personally find the sword to be more meditative, and, at the risk of sounding metaphysical, more of an "alive" weapon. I know plenty of people with swords of all kinds (bokken, practice "beaters", and live blades) that have named their weapons and treat them as old friends/practice partners. I have yet to see anyone do that with nunchaku...;)

I would recommend that you learn both, but for different reasons. As I said, the nunchucks will teach you flow and redirection, and the flexible weapon experience should not be missed. However, for the meditation, mystique, and general all around applicability, I would recommend the sword.

In any event, have fun with your training!!

Peace--

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
roryneil,

Good sword training is hard to find. I was lucky enough to do stuff with Russell Shores (Lung Chi Kwan) and Brian Duffy taught me an Iai-jitsu sword form (I won't call it a kata since it is a series of katas.)

There is also a Kendo club here in town that another one of Mr. Duffy's students did for years. He and I worked together re: the shanai and Kendo. Kendo is like unto foil in fencing, with only limited targets that must be hit appropriatly with correct spirit, to score a point. This is at the competetive end. I took fencing in college with foil, epee, and a little saber. I liked epee better than foil since the entire body is targeted. Check UT or ACC continuing ed classes for clubs.

Oss!

L

lonekimono

Hey Mike i like to use a nice BIG corked BAT what do you think:D

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by lonekimono
Hey Mike i like to use a nice BIG corked BAT what do you think:D

That is hilarious! Nothing like a corked bat! I can't believe that is such a big deal. :shrug: :asian:

Latest Discussions