Sword recomendations...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been interested in the sword arts from all cultures and appreciate the training weapons in Iaido, and the FMAs. Can anyone recommend aluminum or steel training swords for the western martial arts, in particular swords for sword and buckler fighting as well as Rapiers? What about bucklers for actual sparring? Thanks.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am afraid that the WSA is not something I have had the chance to get involved in, Bill, so I can't answer your question immediately. However, I do know some people I could ask so give me a day or two and I'll see what I can discover.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For sword and buckler work, you won't go far wrong with either an Albion or one from Arms and Armor. Avoid aluminium if you can help it... steel is where it's at. There is simply no need to use anything else except wooden or nylon wasters for beginners. For longswords, you can also look at Pavel Moc's fechtschwerts, as well as similar offerings from Ensifer and Peter Regenyei. I've personally used Albions, Pavel Mocs and Ensifer. All are excellent. It depends on what you want kind of training you want to do and what you happen to like in a sword. The Albions are more along the lines of a safer blunt simulator, whereas the Mocs, Ensifer and Regenyei are so-called "federschwert" types intended for both drilling and rigorous sparring. My Pavel Moc fechtschwert is my main training weapon, and is the standard for our club. We have about a dozen in use, and they perform admirably. Here's a bout (with me losing, unfortunately) with the Pavel Mocs. The sound they make is amazing, and the video doesn't do that justice. At least there were no double hits... that's my main concern. I'd rather lose clean than win sloppy... or at least that's what I tell myself. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Langen knows much more than I about this side of the street : points at his post above: :D

By the way, nice play in that video my friend :bows:.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are welcome, Bill. I had put feelers out to the Western Sword chaps I know but no one had gotten back to me yet. I think it's been too long since I was in touch with them and they've forgotten who I am :).

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Avoid aluminium if you can help it... steel is where it's at. There is simply no need to use anything else except wooden or nylon wasters for beginners.

Remember, the Al-Zn alloy used in Iaito is a response to the disarmament laws passed post-WWII. It is deliberately meant to not be a sword.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For sword and buckler work, you won't go far wrong with either an Albion or one from Arms and Armor.
Seconding this. Both of them.

I have friends over at A&A. They work really hard to make sure their stuff is "right" and "historically accurate" when possible within the constraints of the intended purpose. They're plugged into the genuine academic research community more than a lot of people know. I've also used some of their stuff (at a demo). Good.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, nice play in that video my friend :bows:.

Thanks. As long as my suckitude decreases day by day, I'm happy. :)

I missed the OP's question about rapiers. While I'm barely a mediocre rapierist on my best day, Darkwood Armory apparently makes very good rapiers. Might want to give them a try.

-Mark

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Langenschwert, Sukerkin and Iklawson. I appreciate the information. The swords look great, and it is good to know they are actually quality work. Thanks again.

Latest Discussions