Switching to Bjj From Hapkido. How Should I Retain Knowledge in Weapons/Striking/Etc?

weedle_warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello MT, I've been lurking here for a little while :bag: but now have a question that I feel is worth asking.

I spent the past 8 years studying Hapkido (my teacher eventually lost interest in it, but was very knowledgeable so no regrets with training). I plan on starting Bjj lessons soon (I'm already doing a free trial). One of the higher belts has a background Hapkido as well and has incorporated some of the throws and joint locks to his game. I'm not too worried about loosing my knowledge of throwing/groundwork/locks, as the art generally builds upon/relies on/adapts what I already know.

However, Bjj only focuses on one aspect of fighting. It's not a hybrid art, so I won't be working on striking, weapons, forms, etc. I would like to retain my knowledge of the other aspects. I've been reviewing my Hapkido forms after a few months of no training, and am a bit rusty. Luckily I wrote everything down in several notebooks! ;)

Anyways, how often should I review my old material? Practice forms? Striking? Etc?

Should I continue to learn from outside resources i.e. books, learn new combos for heavy bag work from video, attend an occasional seminar in various standing arts, etc?

I wish that I could do two arts, but I'm a college student on a budget without a lot of time to spare.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome in from the lurking shadows!
If it is techniques you are trying to retain - you will need to practice or they will eventually be lost. When your school shut down did you maintain contact with the instructor and some of the other students? Perhaps you and some of the students can get together now and then for BBQ and training at each others homes. Perhaps there is someone at your collage that you can practice with or someone at your new school that would be willing to spend a few moments after or before class working a bit? If it is principles that you are trying to retain - work them into your current training.

Good luck
Brian King

Latest Discussions