Swinging the hips

H

Hayabusarider

In my classes my instructor is showing me the swing your hips thing. Whats everone's technigue. I thought that I was a strong striker until I took my class, now I know different. Some people are just natural strikers. I'm finding it very akward at this point. Please help

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure i quite understand but....swing your hips for strikes? I think it just takes some (ok a lot) of practice and repitition. Whenever you think of it just twist your hips, if you have room throw some light punches or strikes, watch yourself in a mirror (**good for all technique improvement**) Try to think of it in your mind and then make your body do what your'e thinking! Took me a bit to get it but i don't even think of it now, its just an instinct. I'm not a hard hitter, but the hips do give it power and speed!
Good luck
Aqua

OP
H

Hayabusarider

Yeah, I should have stated " pivot the hips ". It's a little tough for me right now to do the start from the floor with your foot through your hip, then fist. I almost feel like I strike lighter now than I did before. This swapping technique is tough for now, but I'm sure that it will pay off. I have a great instructor

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Hayabusarider said:
Yeah, I should have stated " pivot the hips ". It's a little tough for me right now to do the start from the floor with your foot through your hip, then fist. I almost feel like I strike lighter now than I did before. This swapping technique is tough for now, but I'm sure that it will pay off. I have a great instructor
A very large majority of your striking power will come from your hips. Used to have an analogy that helped some people:

Get in your stance and close your eyes. Pretend there's a rope tied to the wrist of your leading fist. The other end of the rope is tied to the bumper of a car. The car takes off, what happens (before you get dragged down the road that is ;))? Picture the body mechanics in your head. Sometimes that helps with your jab. From there, your body is wound up for your cross, which winds up the hook, which winds up the uppercut, elbow, knee, so on and so forth.

Just don't get discouraged if it feels awkward. Go slow and let your mind and muscles get into the flow, and you'll notice you're hitting harder and faster in no time. :) good luck to you!.

OP
H

Hayabusarider

I like your analogy of your wrist tied to a rope. I'm finding myself in front of the computer doing slow motion, rolling punches. I'm realizing that it will come in time. This is my main obstacle to over come right now ( next to cardio )

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
OUMoose has you on the right track. It will probably feel really weird at first. Once you get used to it, however, you won't be able to imagine punching and kicking without the pivot.

Remember, the power always rises from your feet. No matter which Muay Thai technique, it all begins with your feet. You have to know where your power comes from in order to fully capture it.