Survivors

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did the wonderful apocolyptic series "Survivors" ever hit American shores?

It helped shape my attitudes towards my life for quite a long time after it aired (1975-1977) and is possibly the subconscious reason (that and the threat of nuclear holocaust) why I learned to hunt, weave cloth and baskets, forage and all manner of other 'survival' skills.

I bring it up because the BBC is re-making it. I'm not sure how good it will be yet as that depends on the manner of the re-make.

If it's re-running the same scenario in a Britain of the 2000's to see how people would behave now as compared to how they would in the 1970's, I think it could be a pretty worthwhile 'thought experiment'.

Some things would not work so well, mind you. For example, the impact of a character like Abby Grant, a strong woman in a leadership 'role', would not have the punch it did back then. On the flip side, a character like Jenny, who was wilting and dependant on men at the start of the story (that changed a lot as time went by), would probably not be accepted. That's sad, as Jenny's transformation into self-reliance and strength of will to do what was necessary was one of the greatest character developments in the tale.

You can tell how much I loved this show by the fact that I can dredge all this up just from memory of seeing it on TV thirty years ago ... Lord, now I do feel old ROFL.

Latest Discussions