Such A Teacher Alter Curriculum Based Upon Student's Faith

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I as a Christian was hired to teach Atheists and I decided to eliminate every offensive move from Hapkido becuase a nonbeliever might hurt somebody can you imagine the uproar that would ensue here?

Having survived a couple of very violent engagements myself I can say that when I teach martial arts I try to give my students every possible combat advantage. You never know that one particular skill might make the difference between death and survival.

You need to be loyal to your students and give them your best regardless of their faith. If you can't do that then perhaps you shouldn't be teaching.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems morally wrong to me, to teach attack techniques to people, in a church mind you, as a combat.

Why? Do you think that Christians never get assaulted, or that attacks never happen in a church? Jesus instructed his disciples to defend themselves, and didn't tell them to do it by wearing armor and carrying a shield, but by getting a sword.

The first place I studied TKD was in a church, we beat the snot out of each other there the question of it being a church never came up.

A strong part of me feels I should alter, but what is your input?

No, definitely not. If they didn't want a martial art taught there then they wouldn't have you doing it. They don't have you there to teach morality.

If you remove every offensive technique from Kempo what are you going to tell them you're teaching, 'Kempo Lite'?

Latest Discussions