bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
registered and paid for...

I'll let you know how it goes...

Eh, not so good...

Had fun, but really didn't approach it in a competitive mindset and got trounced as a result. I think it was mostly just unfamiliarity with the rules and different styles of training. I train in a sort of classical, stand-up Judo and Japanese Jujutsu....so wrestling and submissions aren't my strong point. I don't know, it was a good time, and well run...but I don't know if I'll do something like this again...

To add my own advice of the whole situation....if you've never done it before, try to find out what the rules are sometime before it starts...:uhyeah:

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No slamming from a standing position,
No small joint manipulations
No hands in the face

Can't remember all of them exactly, but that kinda gives you an idea...

Also, I was there for fun and a tiny medal isn't worth injury so as soon as I felt something get locked in even halfway decent I tapped out like a baby, whether I thought I could fight it or not...I wasn't sure of the attitude of the other competitors so I didn't want some jerk breaking my arm...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed the time, regardless of the results. I give you a lot of credit for even trying it. I grapple and competition is just not my thing. Never has been and never will be. I think certain people have that in them, I just don't. Would love to see some of it live, but alas most competitions are out of my reach both location wise and financially. Hope you got some pics for us that you can post! :D

Again, glad you had a good time.

Lisa

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
No slamming from a standing position,
No small joint manipulations
No hands in the face

Can't remember all of them exactly, but that kinda gives you an idea...

Also, I was there for fun and a tiny medal isn't worth injury so as soon as I felt something get locked in even halfway decent I tapped out like a baby, whether I thought I could fight it or not...I wasn't sure of the attitude of the other competitors so I didn't want some jerk breaking my arm...

I give you a lot of credit for going, even though it is not your typical way of training. Sometimes you really have to step out of your comfort zone and not always play it safe.

You are right about the medal...it isn't worth getting hurt for. Although I do have to say I have been in four tournaments in less than a year and I have never encountered someone who would be that "jerk breaking my arm...". Most of the guys/gals at these tournaments respect the fact you are putting it out there and would avoid injury at all costs. The level of mutual respect at sub grap and BJJ tournaments that I have attended is astounding...far better than the point sparring tournaments I had done in the past.

Was this the Fargo tournament? I have heard good things about it and if we had heard about it earlier we probably would have attended. Too bad it was scheduled so close to the Minneapolis tourney. Hopefully we will have some tournaments here in Winnipeg and not always have to travel so far. I have logged quite a few miles our van in the last year!

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it was the Fargo Open

And yes, the guys seemed very nice, and there was that feeling of camraderie, going over and having a nice chat with the guy that just almost choked you out....still you never know...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you had fun, that is important and it sound as you might have learned a little from it, that id a plus.
Terry

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Yes it was the Fargo Open

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but could you give me a little more info about this tournament? Is it held every year? Does it (or the club that sponsors it) have a website? Was the women's division very big? Cost for entering? What did you think of the officiating?

I know that is a lot of questions, but I am always scouting for tourneys for our team and Fargo is so nice and close that I would hate to miss out on a quality tournament.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I obviously don't have anything to compare it too, but here goes...

Is it held every year?
As far as I know...
Does it (or the club that sponsors it) have a website?
the club that sponsors it is www.rrtkd.com. And as I found out later, there is a website for the tournament...www.fargoopen.com
Was the women's division very big?
There were about 4-5 female competitors I believe...
Cost for entering?
$35
What did you think of the officiating?
I thought it was actually really fair and well done...everybody had a good attitude going in and it sounds like this year was huge growth from last year and hopefully it will continue to grow...

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Final thought on the matter, and the one reason I was kinda turned off...

The one thing that really suprised, and kinda disappointed me, was the number of really, really good "white" belts there...

Some of the people I knew, one of them was a brown belt in judo...I realize belt rank doesn't really matter, but some of them were even calling themselves "beginners"...this was a minority, and the divisions were small enough that it was only broken up by weight, not weight and experience...

Obviously, this isn't even an issue for a no-gi competition, but there were some people did it for the gi and it kinda bothered me. Some them probably didn't have any formal rank and just like to compete in gi's but I knew some of them were BJJers or Judoka with years of experience...

Too bad that a few thought they needed deceit to win because there techniques weren't going to cover it...Deceit and outright lying are perfectly acceptable in a real life situation, but have no place in a friendly competition...

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, you will always find sandbaggers...kind of pathetic actually. I know my hubby fought a guy in Minneapolis last year that has been fighting in the beginner's division for years. How can you feel good about a win like that? You aren't kidding anyone, especially yourself.

But one point I would like to make is that in BJJ especially you can legitimately stay a white belt for years. The belt progressions aren't as quick as in many other arts. So a four stripe white belt is going to be a totally different creature than a one stripe (or no stripe). I know I am fighting in my second tournament as a blue belt this weekend and expect to get my butt handed to me by blue belts who are four-stripers...they have a lot more experience and skill even though we are the same colour.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do understand that...I was a yellow belt, first after white, in Judo for about three years...and there were no strip progressions in between. However, the tournament asked for years of experience, not rank...Like I said, most weren't like that, but the ones that were I wasn't to happy with.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sandbagging is common in BJJ...but as stated, so is legitimately being a long-term white belt.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, most the BJJ guys seemed like pretty decent cats...it was some of the Judoka and others in the area that I knew for certain were doing it...

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Actually, most the BJJ guys seemed like pretty decent cats...it was some of the Judoka and others in the area that I knew for certain were doing it...

I have been following a thread on another MA forum about a guy who is a third dan in judo, sambo champ, etc., etc. who keeps entering BJJ and sub grap tournaments as a novice!!! What he gets out of that - I don't know. Must have VERY low self-esteem if that strokes his ego.

Like Matt Hughes said on TUF last week...if you don't have any losses, you aren't fighting the right guys.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
Like Matt Hughes said on TUF last week...if you don't have any losses, you aren't fighting the right guys.

I love that! I say something similar about colleges--if you have a 4.0, you went to the wrong school.

Latest Discussions