Submission Match

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Their is a submission wrestling match coming up this weekend I am seriously considering entering. It sounds like striking won't be allowed, throwing and pinning are, but you can't win with them. Hence the submission title, I guess.

My taekwondo isn't going to play much of a factor, other than the fitness it gives me and understanding my body. But I've been training in Judo and Jujutsu for about three years each now and every once in a while I get cocky and think I know a thing or two. In case it helps anybody with strategy tips, I'm 6'5'' (2 m)and about 340 lbs (154 kgs).

Just wondering if anybody's got some advice?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if it is this weekend, my advise is don't listen to any advice. Keep doing exactly what you are doing.

Trying to make a change to your game plan this close will only make things go bad. Do what you are good at and fight the way you usually do.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well, if it is this weekend, my advise is don't listen to any advice. Keep doing exactly what you are doing.

Trying to make a change to your game plan this close will only make things go bad. Do what you are good at and fight the way you usually do.

Yeah basically my plan any ways, but you never know when a good tip will swing your way.

One thing that would be helpful is someone who is a little more familiar with these types of rulesets. I'm assuming small joint manipulations are out of the picture (wrists, fingers, toes, etc). Not sure about ankles, but my buddy, who did submission wrestling for quite awhile has been trying to teach me ankle locks for the last two years. I'm a lost cause when it comes to them. However, another friend was in the same tournament last year and said they allowed pressure point applications. Is this common for this type of match or not? Do they usually allow techniques like neck cranks, etc? I realize that nobody here is going to know the specifics of the match, but I'd like to hear some general rules/guidelines.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Make the other guy submit.:2xBird2:

You can just keep quiet, and sit on the sidelines....and make sure you bring your video camera, too....:ultracool

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done a few, never won, but did surprise myself and my opponent in how long I lasted.

Some advice:
- Give it your best
- See yourself mentally "winning". Feel the win, taste the win, believe the win.
- Prepare. Understand the rules you will be competing under. Know the environment. Even arriving 5 minutes early can add to your preparation.
- Relax. It will help keep you flexible. The extra flex may help you turn or twist that hair extra needed to break out.
- Enjoy yourself. Even though I was being stretched, twisted and punished, I enjoyed the experience. :)
- Learn. Every encounter is a chance to pick up tips, tricks and experience. Even when the other guy never says a word.

Good luck!

:)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rules can vary, and are sometimes partially dependent on skill group

ie. intermediate levels can do things beginners can't.

straight ankle locks are probably allowed, knee bar most likely are, anything twisting is often not allowed in beginner classes.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll swing by the gym hosting the tournament, probably Wednesday, to pick up some information. It sounds like last year they had divisions for gi, no gi, and mixed. I think I'll stay in the gi, maybe try the mixed division too....I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see me without a gi anyways...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Big nick you will do fine if you decide to go. Remember don't give up the back and if throws are allowed drive him inthe mat as hard as you can and hopefully you'll knock the wind out of him, anyway good luck.
Terry

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One more thing:

Score first, score fast, score hard.

Works in any form of competition. Give him something to think about right off the start and the rest of the match will go much nicer for you.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go for it! I agree that at this point you have to trust to your training and not over-think it. It'll be a good learning experience for the next time.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know you'll be excited and possibly nervous, but be sure to get plenty of sleep and be well rested before you go. Stretch out thoroughly. Take control of the match as soon as possible. Don't just wait around for your opponent to make the first move. Above all, have fun. Good luck!

- Ceicei

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know for the tournament we are going to in Minneapolis next week the rules are:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Gi) Submission Wrestling (No-Gi) Legal Techniques: -All armlocks, shoulder locks, wrist locks -Any chokes (except hands on windpipe) -Straight Ankle Locks/Achilles (Beginner/White Belt) -Footlocks and kneebars (Intermediate/Blue Belt) -All leg locks (Advanced/Purple Belt and above) Illegal Techniques: -Striking of any kind -Eye Gouge -Fish Hooking-Hair Pulling -Small Joint/Neck Crank
I know it probably isn't the same tournament, but it gives you an idea of what you might be up against. Actually I have found the rules for most of the sub grap tourneys I've done are fairly similar, neck cranks being the most often debated and at what level knee bars/heel hooks are done can vary as well. You should also probably be prepared for the time limit as they vary from skill level to skill level. The Minneapolis tournament is 5 min for white/beginner, 7 min for blue/intermediate and unlimited for purple+/advanced (first to 10 points wins). Oh, and bring your own snacks...the tournaments are notorious for not having enough energy bars and water/powerade on hand. You can be there a while before your division is called so you will need something in your system. Also, if possible, try to weigh in the night before. This gives you adequate time to rehydrate and nourish yourself with great food. Nothing sucks more than going in hungry and dehydrated.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you weigh 340 lbs....cutting weight is not one of your big concerns...

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
not sure how relevant this is, but when ground fighting keep your legs between him and you, let him wear himself out, while you regain some wind. ,make him tierd, he'll submit easier.

just my 2c

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
registered and paid for...

I'll let you know how it goes...

Latest Discussions