Style

J

jpein

Well I'm 42 years old now and have started to get the itch again...no its not from my 'cup'.

What does everyone think of Aikido for an 'old' man tired of the kicking bit. I thought I might give BBJ a try also seeing that there is a school not to far where I work.

Thanks

OP
D

djphrenzy

Hello,

Have you considered one of the three chinese orthodox internal arts?

Baguazhang (aka Pa Kua)- 8 Triagrams Palm

Taijiquan (aka Tai Chi Chuan)- Grand Ultimate Fist

Xingyiquan (aka Hsing-i) - Form and Mind Fist (aka Mind Boxing)

All three are very fluid and when practiced properly promote excellent health benifits.

Later-

OP
G

GouRonin

The thing they say about Aikido is that if it hurts, it's Daito-ryu. If it doesn't, then it's new age pablum.
I thought that was kinda funny.:D

OP
J

jpein

Actually the Lung-Fu do style that I last studied was a form of Chinese Kenpo, White Crane and Chin-na. In the advanced ranks things go to a much softer style.

Thanks

OP
I

IFAJKD

Continuing your training is great. BJJ is a great way to stay young and you quickly can become addicted. Look for someone who will train slowly and methodically. Learning first to defend and then later to attack. It tends to give the student much better sensitivity on the ground and awareness of what is going on down there. Dan Inosanto say's that it keeps him young. Today I think he looks better than he has ever looked.

Good luck and great training to you
Jim

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the current Inside Kung Fu magazine, there is an interview with Dan Inosanto and he claims that Kali can be a good art to train in if you're in your fifties.

That's all well and good, but ultimately it will depend on the instructor more than the style and also that you're honest with yourself about your abilities.

Cthulhu

OP
I

IFAJKD

Kali can be a great style to learn for older people. I think that there is also useful equalizers to draw from within that art for weapon use. You learn to use a weapon that is a great self defense tool and you learn to move your bodies. Many people can walk with a cane legally and this could be very advantageous
Miller

OP
G

GouRonin

What are the ramifications of carrying a cane and having to use it? I mean, I don't need one but if I started to carry one would I be hassled? What if I had to use it? Can only older people carry them?

I like to keep my options open.:rolleyes:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, in the U.S., I'd guess it would depend on what state you lived in. Actually, probably not, as long as it wasn't one of those trick canes with a blade inside.

What would really be important is how the cane was used. If you used the cane to defend yourself against an unarmed mugger who was considerably smaller than you, you'd probably be in trouble. However, if you were up against an armed assailant, or multiple unarmed assailants, things would be much easier for you in court.

Usually, you are not supposed to escalate the level of force in the attack. If someone attacks you barehanded (and they're not the second coming of Bruce Lee), then you can't whip out a knife and cut him to ribbons. Tying into this, courts also look at disparity of force when you're defending yourself. This really comes into effect in matters where deadly force was used. If someone slapped me and I snapped his neck, then I'd be in deep doo-doo.

It really all comes down to staying within the legal guidelines established in your area and applying common sense to that. When all else fails, ask a lawyer. Since you're in Canada, I have no idea how a cane would be percieved by the local law enforcement. Here, it probably wouldn't be a big deal, especially if you walked as if you were using it, rather than swinging it to and fro as you walked about.

Babbling again.

Cthulhu

OP
I

IFAJKD

In looking at this from a general perspective there is a "common Law" considered by most states to be reasonable and just. This is the type of ruling that bodyguards rely on. It states that lethal force is justified by 1) you have to believe yourself or another to be in danger of death or serious injury 2) are then allowed to use reasonable force to terminate this altercation and, in the case of aideing another, able to utilize the force that is avalible to them given the situation. The use of a weapon is dictated by it's "intended use" In other words you can't carry a cane with the intent of using it as a weapon. It then becomes a weapon. In a self defense situation where you use a cane that you have a reasonable use for (physical condition) it is still considered a cane. This varries state to state. My best legal advise is to prepare for two fights. The street and the court
Jim

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As trite as it may sound, the best advice is to just not get into fights :)

However, some of us may be unfortunate enough to not have a way out. My advice is to research the weapons and assault laws in your area. If possible, grab a copy of your state statutes. I'm lucky and I have a friend in law enforcement, so that's fairly easy for me. Some states have their statutes available for reading online.

I took a firearms safety course with the intention of obtaining a concealed weapons permit. Never did get it, but that's neither here nor there. The point is, the instructor had some very good knowledge of what could get you into trouble, self-defense wise. Not only was he a weapons nut (one of the few people in the state with an automatic weapon licence and he used to own his own damn tank), but he was also a martial artist, so I got some useful information in that respect.

On the same topic, if I remember correctly, a silat instructor in Tampa, FL was convicted of assault while defending himself using a knife. I don't remember the particulars, but it's a case in point. I think the assailant was unarmed, which is what got him in trouble.

Watch yer butts.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions