Study on time required for decision making

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard of and read about a study done to determine the effects of multiple choices on decision making. The basic premise is that participants were offered a number of choices, all of which were equally correct and told to choose one. When presented with more options, the time required to make a decision increased. While I've heard and read about this study multple times, I can't seem to find any specifics about the study itself. I've seen it mentioned several times, and have a feeling that I have a more specific reference to it in one of the books on my bookshelf, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone here know the study to which I am referring and if so do you have any information where I could find out more about it? If so, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Rob

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of and read about a study done to determine the effects of multiple choices on decision making. The basic premise is that participants were offered a number of choices, all of which were equally correct and told to choose one. When presented with more options, the time required to make a decision increased. While I've heard and read about this study multple times, I can't seem to find any specifics about the study itself. I've seen it mentioned several times, and have a feeling that I have a more specific reference to it in one of the books on my bookshelf, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone here know the study to which I am referring and if so do you have any information where I could find out more about it? If so, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Rob

This is all about Hick's Law. You might find the following of interest:

http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/hickslaw.htm

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This remind us of teaching new students...a specific techniques and moves....

Than we ask them to do it....many either forget..or do nothing....PAUSE'S..

Then we have to remind them...in doubt..do something...anything...DO NOT PAUSE...FIGHT BACK OR ATTACK WITH SOMETHING they know how to use...

One of the hardest thing to teach new students....in doubt...react with something you know how! ..if you forgot the specfic techniques we were working on at that time...

The longer you pause...give the other person time to counter or defend...

Like in sparring...if you see an opening (in your vision) ...to late...gotta react spontaneous!

Instincts or your first choice (mulitple choices) is usually the correct one...have to train the mind to trust... your first answer...

Does this apply to martial arts? .........UM ....let me pause here to think about this possible answer? ....UM? .....still deciding...UM......let you know in a minute? ......OK ...it is coming to the mind...long path.....

Aloha ( Reaction ....being surprise of a punch just quarter inch away...too late...) ..here the reactions ...is the surprise!

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

-Rob

Someone's been following me around at Blockbuster Video again, haven't they?