Stress and Fighting.

OP
P

pineapple head

So...nobody disagrees with this guy!:confused:

OP
P

pineapple head

Sorry guys regarding the Santa, but i am starting to get exited for Christmas.:)

Gary.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've had a quick look at this article, and he certainly makes it sound good.

This is a subject I have some slight knowledge of, so I may agree or disagree with all or part of what he says.

When I've had time to read it in depth I'll post my 'opinion', but it'll be just that, an opinion, not 'The Gospel According to Les'

(I'm busy writing that at the moment actually.)

Les

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Mr. Mills was teaching a camp in Illinois at which he introduced me to the idea of REALITY training. I say introduced because I thought I knew what reality training was, but I was wrong. Mr. Mills wanted me to defend a grab using Raking Mace so he partnered me up with a guy who was about 6'2" 260-280 and we worked the technique. No big deal. The next part of the Drill Mr. Mills had Jim grab my gi and push me backwards and try to keep going. The first several times we did it, Jim ran me from one side of the school to the other and almost out the front window. I was trying so hard not to fall backwards that I couldn't get set to do my technique. Mr. Mills, after seeing my frustration, gave me several suggestions that worked like a charm.

After this camp anytime I work out with someone we try to contemplate the reality of the implied situation and base our responses off of that.

I think the article while rather simplistic in its categorizations is fairly accurate.

Have a practice buddy come in full tilt with a push or grab and see what you can do, adapt from here.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
Mr. Mills was teaching a camp in Illinois at which he introduced me to the idea of REALITY training. I say introduced because I thought I knew what reality training was, but I was wrong. Mr. Mills wanted me to defend a grab using Raking Mace so he partnered me up with a guy who was about 6'2" 260-280 and we worked the technique. No big deal. The next part of the Drill Mr. Mills had Jim grab my gi and push me backwards and try to keep going. The first several times we did it, Jim ran me from one side of the school to the other and almost out the front window. I was trying so hard not to fall backwards that I couldn't get set to do my technique. Mr. Mills, after seeing my frustration, gave me several suggestions that worked like a charm.

After this camp anytime I work out with someone we try to contemplate the reality of the implied situation and base our responses off of that.

I think the article while rather simplistic in its categorizations is fairly accurate.

Have a practice buddy come in full tilt with a push or grab and see what you can do, adapt from here.

And this is something you've just discovered or you've been doing for awhile?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
J

jeffkyle

Mr. Mills wanted me to defend a grab using Raking Mace so he partnered me up with a guy who was about 6'2" 260-280 and we worked the technique. No big deal. The next part of the Drill Mr. Mills had Jim grab my gi and push me backwards and try to keep going. The first several times we did it, Jim ran me from one side of the school to the other and almost out the front window. I was trying so hard not to fall backwards that I couldn't get set to do my technique. Mr. Mills, after seeing my frustration, gave me several suggestions that worked like a charm.

I thought Raking mace was for someone pulling you in??? Not pushing you back? I think you would have had to adapt the technique a bit once the pushing started.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Clyde,

The reality aspect is something that I've been doing for a while. However, since I don't now everything about Kenpo and have never suggested that I do, I continue to learn and pick up new ideas at camps and in conversations with others. Mr. Mills spent a number of years fighting every night with some pretty rough guys and has a great deal of knowledge on the subject of kenpo all of which he has had an opportunity to try in real confrontations. I don't see any problem with trying to learn from someone else's experiences. We can't all know EVERYTHING like you Clyde.

I thought Raking mace was for someone pulling you in??? Not pushing you back? I think you would have had to adapt the technique a bit once the pushing started.

Actually when we started the excercise we were doing Twin Kimono and then we moved on to Raking mace. However, Where I study we use disruptive control movements to keep the opponent off balance. We had always used this as one of our tools but had never tried to defend against on a grab technique only from a clinch. Once we saw the effect of the action, it became natural to pull them one way in order to get them to brace against that force in a particular direction only to take them back the other way and use their resistance against them. My point is that we were essentially doing everything we could keep the technique from working, and for a while we did. Yet after Mr. Mills gave us some suggestions and answered a few questions, we were able to crush the attacker whether it was push, pull, or both.

Honestly how can you tell when someone grabs you whether they will pull you in or drive you back pull you in then drive you back?

By the end of the drill my partners arm was solid red which subsequently turned to solid black over the next two days. Both of our ribs were sore as hell for the next several days, but it was definately worth it.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Clyde,

Honestly how can you tell when someone grabs you whether they will pull you in or drive you back pull you in then drive you back?

It all depends.....:D

OP
P

pineapple head

Clyde,

We can't all know EVERYTHING like you Clyde.

:boing2: :boing1: :lol: :lol: :2xbird:

Here, Here.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Took a look at the link to the article, and I don't really find it all that interesting.

Beyond the fact that it's a rehash of the same old stuff (train realistically, your fine motor skills won't work under stress, etc. etc.), beyond the fact that I think anybody with half-way decent training knows or can figure this stuff out for themselves, there's the fact that I (but who cares?) find this sort of thing deeply, fundamentally wrongheaded.

For one thing, it's a good example of marketing the same old stuff (not that that's bad!) with a different label on it...in the end, what this guy's teaching is the same stuff that anybody competent has been teaching for ever and ever. Why should we be impressed? I'll bet, in the end, that he gets about the same results as most others...

Look, it's easy to put out truisms and generalizations about martial arts training. It's easy, too, to suggest, "train my way, and you'll become invincible." But it's the day-to-day stuff, worked on over years, that matters...

As for the stuff about Raking Mace, well, I too thought it was, "grab and yank in, Raking Mace," and "grab and push back, Twin Kimono," but then I tend to kind of clumsily fall into techniques...wait, that's what's supposed to happen.

In this case, there's a problem with erasing a distinction between a pull and a push. I'd point out that there's much the same issue in, say, a rear attack that pulls one back into Twirling Wings, and a rear attack that pushes one forward into Circling Wing...

I think that those fundamental oppositions are essential to "mapping out," the territory of kenpo...

Oh yeah, forgot. Sure, you get grabbed for real and the latest and greatest tech will fly right out your ears. This is not an argument for learning only the simplest techniques. It is an argument for, a) learning techs slowly and in a rational order, so we don't get unrealistic ideas about what the latest and greatest high tech will do for us; b) a lot of long slow, boring practice to engrave the techs at a fundamental level--to internalize them; c) slowly expanding one's knowledge NOT so that the latest and greatest can be used in, "real," confrontations but so that the simpler stuff pops out to be used; d) slowly expanding one's knowledge, including stuff like extensions, to expand the "simpler," techniques....My offhand guess is that pretty much, the stuff you'll use spontaneously is--or should be--at least two belt levels below your nominal rank.

Then there's the whole argument about learning options...

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had to use my Kenpo Skills to defend myself not too long ago, and my fine motor skills worked just fine. I wish I could say the same for the other guy... I had to pull his teeth outta my elbow, after I broke 'em out of his face.

The quesion is... What technique did I use?
Mace of Agression

What was his attack?
A right step-through roundhouse punch (Yes, that's right a right stepthrough roundhouse punch!)

Did I finish the technique?
Yes, and I added a little extension of my own to it (a hangman's choke at the end).

Did I get hurt?
Nope. I didn't even have to comb my hair afterward.

Did I know which technique I was going to do when the guy threw his punch at me?
Nope.

What's my point?
Practice as often and as accurately as you can. That way when the crap hits the fan, your basics will be working on auto pilot, and you won't have to question your abilities.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool Bill. :) Sounds like you did right. How was the adrenaline rush however? Before, during, or after? I'm curious to see if you were able to stay calm or did things just happen so quickly that you only had time to react?

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Billy Lear wrote:

The quesion is... What technique did I use?
Mace of Agression

What was his attack?
A right step-through roundhouse punch (Yes, that's right a right stepthrough roundhouse punch!)

I'm having a little difficulty visualizing Mace of Aggression as a response to a right step-through roundhouse punch. Would you mind elaborating a bit on how it went down as this sounds interesting?

Thanks.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could see the left hand coming up as a block or possibly a parry as the right inward raking back knuckle comes down to collapse on the right arm. When the right hand comes down on top of the right arm of the attacker it could check them down momentarily to achieve the inward elbow. Why couldn't it work?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Clyde,

We can't all know EVERYTHING like you Clyde.

Damn the bad luck

Clyde

Latest Discussions