Strength Training and mortality

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
My diet could be better. I'm the A typical middle aged man who eats what he shouldn't 1/2 the time. Then again these days, what is bad for you? What are the real demons.

I go to the gym 4 nights a week. i don't do the cardio as I was told someone of my age (50's) that would cause more damage than good. Then again, they say I do a Dads workout because I use an IPOD and leave my phone in the locker. BTW my biggest pet peeve in the gym is phones, and people that need to update social media when taking up bench space.

I hope it's helping to keep me alive. I can't retire anymore in this economy so I need to keep working.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My diet could be better. I'm the A typical middle aged man who eats what he shouldn't 1/2 the time. Then again these days, what is bad for you? What are the real demons.
Have a look at the ‘Perception is reality’ thread
I go to the gym 4 nights a week. i don't do the cardio as I was told someone of my age (50's) that would cause more damage than good.
Whoever told you that was misinforming you. Try subscribing to Arnie’s Pump Club newsletter (the positive corner of the Internet) for research-based health advice.
Then again, they say I do a Dads workout because I use an IPOD and leave my phone in the locker.
When people sit on a piece of equipment scrolling through their phones, I get really irritated! Get off and let me use it. iPod workouts are the best! Tangerine Dream has been shown to make your muscles grow by 67.45%, instantly
BTW my biggest pet peeve in the gym is phones, and people that need to update social media when taking up bench space.
😡 👍🏽
I hope it's helping to keep me alive. I can't retire anymore in this economy so I need to keep working.
A little bit of everything…the middle path…is the way ahead!

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Clarence Bass has some really informative articles at his website which address all kinds of health and fitness concerns - the website is not as glamorous as Arnold Schwarzeneggers, but it is full of great advice from a man who has kept himself fit and healthy for more than 70yrs now 💪

Last edited:

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I go to the gym 4 nights a week. i don't do the cardio as I was told someone of my age (50's) that would cause more damage than good.
This wholly depends on what kind of cardio you undertake. Working in gyms over the years as a fully qualified health & fitness trainer has given me the opportunity to see the benefits and downsides to many different training protocols.

As we age it is important to keep our lean muscle mass, hence the emphasis on resistance training since the late 1980s and less on traditional steady-state cardio. I have seen many middle-aged exercisers waste their muscle away by focusing solely on aerobic exercises regimes and end up looking worn out and scrawny as a result.

Walking and weight-training are more than enough to keep you fit and healthy for life. Sharing this advice with hundreds of people over the years has benefited them far more than the standard advice of focusing on fat-burning zones and all the other nonsense you hear in regular fitness centres.

Keep it simple, and remember that weight-training and resistance exercises also work your cardiovascular system ;)

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
This wholly depends on what kind of cardio you undertake. Working in gyms over the years as a fully qualified health & fitness trainer has given me the opportunity to see the benefits and downsides to many different training protocols.

As we age it is important to keep our lean muscle mass, hence the emphasis on resistance training since the late 1980s and less on traditional steady-state cardio. I have seen many middle-aged exercisers waste their muscle away by focusing solely on aerobic exercises regimes and end up looking worn out and scrawny as a result.

Walking and weight-training are more than enough to keep you fit and healthy for life. Sharing this advice with hundreds of people over the years has benefited them far more than the standard advice of focusing on fat-burning zones and all the other nonsense you hear in regular fitness centres.

Keep it simple, and remember that weight-training and resistance exercises also work your cardiovascular system ;)

Awesome thank you. This is what I have been doing 4 night routine rotating on muscle groups followed by a low impact stroll around the track about 2km a night.

So. I'm doing the right path for me then. I'm happy for that

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have a look at the ‘Perception is reality’ thread

Whoever told you that was misinforming you. Try subscribing to Arnie’s Pump Club newsletter (the positive corner of the Internet) for research-based health advice.

When people sit on a piece of equipment scrolling through their phones, I get really irritated! Get off and let me use it. iPod workouts are the best! Tangerine Dream has been shown to make your muscles grow by 67.45%, instantly

😡 👍🏽

A little bit of everything…the middle path…is the way ahead!
I will check that site out. Most times you see sites being lauded online, then only to have to sign up to get the advice. LOL
I need to use my resources better

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much depends on focus. If you lift in order to win body building competitions or for power lifting competitions then that is one thing. A sensible weight routine in addition to moderate cardio with a focus on health and longevity, not appearance or raw strength, should increase longevity.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check that site out. Most times you see sites being lauded online, then only to have to sign up to get the advice. LOL
I need to use my resources better
Arnie’s pump Club is excellent and you can unsubscribe easily at any time!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1707510395657.jpg
    FB_IMG_1707510395657.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 17

silent killer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have seen many middle-aged exercisers waste their muscle away by focusing solely on aerobic exercises regimes and end up looking worn out and scrawny as a result.
this.. i know a die hard runner who thinks as some people do that weight training is just Boatloads of drugs & men in thongs, schmoes & Homosexuality ( mainly due to the old Original Gold´s Gym):rolleyes:
It´s like my friend he looks just scrawny & can´t even do 1 pull up. He was benching just an Olympic bar in the gym with no plates & of course the Gym boys laughed at him.
I think cycling is excellent for cardio & has no negative affects on the lower back,knees. you can dial in the intesity with sprints, hill work or just a slow pace.

silent killer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
also i would like to add that for older guys a 3-4 day split is enough.
I either do...

Chest+Back
OFF
shoulders+Arms
OFF
Legs
OFF
OFF
or i will simply do ...

Chest+Triceps
Back+biceps
OFF
Shoulder/Traps
Legs
OFF
OFF
But always remember Nothing is carved in stone !

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this.. i know a die hard runner who thinks as some people do that weight training is just Boatloads of drugs & men in thongs, schmoes & Homosexuality ( mainly due to the old Original Gold´s Gym):rolleyes:
It´s like my friend he looks just scrawny & can´t even do 1 pull up. He was benching just an Olympic bar in the gym with no plates & of course the Gym boys laughed at him.
I think cycling is excellent for cardio & has no negative affects on the lower back,knees. you can dial in the intesity with sprints, hill work or just a slow pace.
I enjoy cycling a great deal and it's great cardio and as you say fairly gentle on the joints. I try to intersperse it with hiking, jogging, and walking though because the impact of striking the earth actually increases bone density. Although it's probably a little harder on the joints. From my point of view it's best to do a variety of exercises some weights, some cardio, some real world movement like hiking or jogging. Just keep it varied.

DDDDDuane

White Belt
Reaction score
There was a great article in Muscle & Fitness magazine around 1990/91 relating to the benefits of resistance training on health, wellbeing and longevity. The article referred to studies taken in 1980s which demonstrated the improvement of many areas of health in the elderly population when exercising with weights. Around the same time as the article a book was released which you can see at the following link:

Clarence Bass has written about this book and the studies at his website: Biomarkers
Clarence's column in Muscle & Fitness was incredible in the 80s and early 90s...

Latest Discussions