Street BJJ

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If she can butt scoot, she can certainly stand up.

How do you figure that? Butt scooting isn't even close to the same motion as standing up. Further, if someone is intent on having you on the ground and standing over you, they're not going to allow you to stand up.

If she can't "butt scoot" then she should be trying to sweep. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any sweeps from any position on the ground. What is wrong is butt scooting to sweep in a violent situation when you could be standing up and gaining your mobility so that you could run, etc.!

As stated before, attempting a stand up when someone is standing over you is a sure fire way to get knocked back to the ground again.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hanzou, in the same space as she demonstrates butt scooting forward as Stephen backs up she could easily have stood up in base. If there is space to butt scoot forward as she demonstrates she could easily kick out and stand up in base. I do not see what is hard to understand here?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou, in the same space as she demonstrates butt scooting forward as Stephen backs up she could easily have stood up in base. If there is space to butt scoot forward as she demonstrates she could easily kick out and stand up in base. I do not see what is hard to understand here?

Keeping with Kesting here;

Notice the distance he needs in order to execute the stand up safely. It's a lot more distance than shown in the butt scoot video, and it requires Kesting to create more distance. Any closer than that, and you stand a real chance of getting clocked on your way back to standing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hanzou, I am well familiar with standing up in base. Do not forget that I started BJJ probably 12 years before you even thought about getting into it. Standing up in Base can be done within plenty of room in the video you gave with the lady. As Stephen backs up she could have easily stood up in base. If you were on a wall you could also use it to climb up/stand up just like you would a cage. Just a few ways to get up instead of doing the butt scoot. That and it still does not mitigate that "butt scooting" is ridiculous in a violent encounter. Just bad judgement!

Latest Discussions