strategy and tactics

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are the strategy and tactics of american kenpo? Obviously i am not looking for a list of techniques but more of the approach ak uses to defeating an opponent

Respectfully,
Marlon

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The basic strategy:
1. establish your base.
2. destabilize your opponents base.

Jeff

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
3. Use simultaneous offense and defense
4. Strike from angles that are hard to see and defend against
5. Constantly use positions that limit opponent's ability to counter.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cancel heith, width, and depth, with a posture or balance strategy. This is another way of saying bend them over or knock them back. Using obscure zones and attacking the base are but tactics to achieve the cancelations desired.
Sean

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Cancel heith, width, and depth, with a posture or balance strategy. This is another way of saying bend them over or knock them back. Using obscure zones and attacking the base are but tactics to achieve the cancelations desired.
Sean

Excellent post, Sean. Couldn't have said it any better.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The basic strategy:
1. establish your base.
2. destabilize your opponents base.

Jeff

Thanks all of you for these responses. From the clips i have seen of AK more of the techniques seem to be done from too far away to destabilize an opponent. What am i missing.

Respectfully,
Marlon

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean

This too is the goal of skk what tactics do you use to utilize obscure zones of attack?

Respectfully,
Marlon

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Initial techniques are done from static positions to learn how to move your body. As one progresses (as with any art) you then move in closer, and specific areas of vulnerability are pinpointed.

Example: Base technique - right punch. Defense technique BLABLA says step back to right neutral bow, inward block between wrist and elbow of your opponent's arm with your right arm.

Later, that same technique might have you dropping in place or stepping in, and instead of blocking a general area, to attack the radial nerve or other vulnerable points on the arm.

Simplicity to complexity - which again through correct practice becomes simplicity.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks all of you for these responses. From the clips i have seen of AK more of the techniques seem to be done from too far away to destabilize an opponent. What am i missing.

Respectfully,
Marlon
Your absolutly right! Most kenpoists are to far away. I blame boxing and hardstyle influances. If you ain't punching the spine you are too far away.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This too is the goal of skk what tactics do you use to utilize obscure zones of attack?

Respectfully,
Marlon
A great tactic is to get in real close. Anything under his nose is an obscure zone provided his posture has not been broken. Another tactic is to simply cover his eyes with your hand while striking with the rest of your weapon arsenal. Get behind him; thats pretty obscure. Don't forget that dirt, Cyan pepper powder, or Mace can open up all kinds of obscure zones. Running a knife or razor blade across the forhead will work and Mr. Pick pointed out that driving a blade into the bridge of his nose will make the eyes water (go figure). I got one! If you know the guy, text or call him on his cell, wait for it to get his attention, and pounce. I could go on all day.:)
Sean

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. Know why you'd use kenpo on another human, be it hurt, maim, or kill. You should have this knowledge down before you so much as leave for work in the morning.
2. Dissect the circumstances. Choose his end.
3. Engage the mind - in response to step 2, and because of step 1.
4. Attack the attack. Don't try this without step 3.
5. Take over the skeletal structure. This is accomplished by step 4.
6. Take the fight to the necessary conclusion, determined in step 2, using steps 3 through 5.
7. Return home to your family. Remind yourself of step 1.

Salute,

Steven Brown
UKF

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Know why you'd use kenpo on another human, be it hurt, maim, or kill. You should have this knowledge down before you so much as leave for work in the morning.
2. Dissect the circumstances. Choose his end.
3. Engage the mind - in response to step 2, and because of step 1.
4. Attack the attack. Don't try this without step 3.
5. Take over the skeletal structure. This is accomplished by step 4.
6. Take the fight to the necessary conclusion, determined in step 2, using steps 3 through 5.
7. Return home to your family. Remind yourself of step 1.

Salute,

Steven Brown
UKF
I would choose Attack the attack over alternating offensive and defensive motion myself.
Sean

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Respectfully,
Marlon
Nothing, alot of crap published in clips or the clips are done as demonstrations. When done on me, the best guys don't truly hurt me (although it hurts at times) they just take control.

Jeff

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A great tactic is to get in real close. Anything under his nose is an obscure zone provided his posture has not been broken. Another tactic is to simply cover his eyes with your hand while striking with the rest of your weapon arsenal. Get behind him; thats pretty obscure. Don't forget that dirt, Cyan pepper powder, or Mace can open up all kinds of obscure zones. Running a knife or razor blade across the forhead will work and Mr. Pick pointed out that driving a blade into the bridge of his nose will make the eyes water (go figure). I got one! If you know the guy, text or call him on his cell, wait for it to get his attention, and pounce. I could go on all day.:)
Sean
I should also mention that backing a person into enviornmental obstacles is also using obscure Zones.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing, alot of crap published in clips or the clips are done as demonstrations. When done on me, the best guys don't truly hurt me (although it hurts at times) they just take control.

Jeff
Your right, its a contact art and accidents do happen but if they guy is blasting you in a tech line, its an indication of a lack of principles or a compromise in mental, perceptual, or emotional fitness.
Sean

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would choose Attack the attack over alternating offensive and defensive motion myself.
Sean

I fully agree. Perhaps it came across wrong, I'm not sure. But nothing in what I wrote was meant to go "defensive" once the mierda was on the ventilador.

Regardless, I'm certain we're on the same page. Invade the space.

Salute,

Steven Brown
UKF

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your right, its a contact art and accidents do happen but if they guy is blasting you in a tech line, its an indication of a lack of principles or a compromise in mental, perceptual, or emotional fitness.
Sean
I may not have been clear. I wasn't referring to being blasted on the line. I find that good Kenpoists take control but not necessarily in a pain mediated way. Because it is not merely dependent on youth, strength and size, Kenpo continues to work as we age and get sneakier. I still believe that the underlying principle is to cause bad postural alignment in your opponent while maintaining dynamic stability in yourself. Bujuts is correct that we invade the space but unless you do something to give yourself superior stability, size and strength will rule the day. By looking at the techniques as relative postural alignment you can also moderate your response to your opponent and destroy the attacker with a knife but merely realign your drunk brother-in-law whose acting like an ***. In medicine it would be inappropriate to go all KENPO on an elderly demented agitated patient (or a young psych patient for that matter) but I still use my kenpo to realign them posturally while trying to use words and body language to de-escalate the situation.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Latest Discussions