Stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I knew this one guy whose uncle was a Green Beret and showed him all the deadly moves in his backyard, but he's not allowed to "use it" unless his life is in danger (too dangerous).

I bet more than a couple of you have met him, too :D

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I got to beat up a BJJ "black belt" a couple of years ago. He came in to where I was training and asked to work out with us. He was personable, but it became readily apparent that his training was mostly out of books and sans partners to experiment on. Now I am only passable at ground work but I was able to submit him several time without much effort. At one point I held him in the side mount for a good ten minutes or so until he gave up. He never came back. I gotta say I was pretty proud of myself for beating up a "Gracie Black Belt".

I've beaten up quite a few pro-MMA fighters that don't appear on sherdog.Solid boxing skills trump made up mma cred.

I've only encountered a couple of ninja over the years. Thank the Lord that nothing happened as I've only ran across them singly. According to the Rule of Ninja Inverse Deadliness Proportionality I wouldn't be talking to you all right now. Now if there were a crowd of ninja....

Mark

Wellyou know how the general rules go about ninjutsu:

If "ninjutsu" is in the school's name--there probably ain't any in the school.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never had anyone wanting to teach but I have had the occasional black belt that thinks that his rank should be transferable. I don't know why a student no matter what belt he is, would think that he should start a different art as the same belt before the instructor gets the chance to see what he can do. I don't think anyone no matter what rank they are in another art should be given anything except white to start. You are new to that art! And as such are a beginner.
What is so bad about being a white belt. Is it embarrassing? If so where did we get so many black belts and instructors? Did they start that way.
Being a white belt should be a good thing. It is the starting point of your journey. You can't get somewhere unless you start somewhere.
Sorry for all the philosophy. Kind of got started and couldn't stop.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have never had anyone wanting to teach but I have had the occasional black belt that thinks that his rank should be transferable. I don't know why a student no matter what belt he is, would think that he should start a different art as the same belt before the instructor gets the chance to see what he can do. I don't think anyone no matter what rank they are in another art should be given anything except white to start. You are new to that art! And as such are a beginner.
What is so bad about being a white belt. Is it embarrassing? If so where did we get so many black belts and instructors? Did they start that way.
Being a white belt should be a good thing. It is the starting point of your journey. You can't get somewhere unless you start somewhere.

I agree, there is no shame in being a white belt.

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I knew this one guy whose uncle was a Green Beret and showed him all the deadly moves in his backyard, but he's not allowed to "use it" unless his life is in danger (too dangerous).

I bet more than a couple of you have met him, too :D

I used to play guitar with a guy who was always telling me that his dad was trained by "Korean Rock Marines" and that he could "do a backflip kick and kick out a lightbulb from a 10' ceiling."

I never knew what the heck a Korean Rock Marine was, and I still don't know if it's anything that's real. After posting this, just for curiosity's sake I'll do a google search. But anyway this guy used to always want me to show him techniques, but he'd never cooperate and always end up jabbing me in the throat or something before I could finish showing him.

I guess it's not a fake ninja story, but it was annoying at the time so I guess it's worth sharing.

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I remember being told, back when I studied Okinawan Kenpo and Kobujutsu that in the traditional dojo you leave your social status at the door. So a doctor could train with a peasant, could train with a lawyer, could train with whomever, on an equal playing field so to speak. So, I'd say the same goes for people with rank in another system. Make him/her start out working for his/her White, just like everybody else.

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to play guitar with a guy who was always telling me that his dad was trained by "Korean Rock Marines" and that he could "do a backflip kick and kick out a lightbulb from a 10' ceiling."

I never knew what the heck a Korean Rock Marine was, and I still don't know if it's anything that's real. After posting this, just for curiosity's sake I'll do a google search. But anyway this guy used to always want me to show him techniques, but he'd never cooperate and always end up jabbing me in the throat or something before I could finish showing him.

I guess it's not a fake ninja story, but it was annoying at the time so I guess it's worth sharing.

Maybe this is what he was talking about... ROK for "Republic of Korea"

http://www.talkingproud.us/International061406.html

Reaction score
I worked with a kid that was a Ninja. Highly trained by a guy with no name in his back yard in the deadly art of "Ninja". He even had to break 3 whole boards for his black belt test! :eek:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
P.S. What are wrong with Ninja costumes anyways ? :p
Can you honestly expect ANYONE to take you seriously wearing one of those?
Ok, anyone with enough common sense and at least a basic knowledge about real ninjitsu
I mean like I said, it was hard enough for me to take my friend seriously (as serious as he took himself and his *ahem* "training"... which included those gangsta type hand formations which are supposedly to make one invisible, turn to smoke and all that other happy crappy...) and not giggle aloud whenever I saw him in it.

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for all the replies. I am looking forward to some more. Secondly, I did not mean to rip on ninjitsu itself. I have great respect for Dr.Hatsumi and Stephen Hayes. Our government and other governments do have modern ninjas. You know, those special forces people-a rare breed of folks. They do things we never hear about, but is important for our safety-if you know what I mean. (respectful bow to all those serve our nation) Sorry, off topic.

Back to the other ninja that came to my dojang. He was tiping the...:BSmeter: It was and is sad if this guy still uses his mom as his uke.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wellyou know how the general rules go about ninjutsu:

If "ninjutsu" is in the school's name--there probably ain't any in the school.

But how would we know?

Sneaky as they are, and all.

Mark

P.S. There is a ninja smiley in this post. Silent as death, invisible as an invisible thing.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a guy tell me that his friend did the death touch on him. I suggested that perhaps his friend is not very good at it...

Now that is funny
icon10.gif

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I've been training in Togakure-ryu budo taijustu for about two years now under Shihan Jason Hardy. I just got promoted to green belt, and, due to my young age compared to the rest of the class, I have garnered a lot of respect among my fellow students.

One of our favorite things to joke about, however, is one of the "rivaling" Shihan's in our town. Nothing against other Shihan's, but this one is NOT a Shihan.

I remember, when my training first began, he was one of the 6 kyu's who I respected quite dearly. I never had anything against him, he was friendly to everyone and never had a bad attitude.

Until we started doing techniques. Whenever it came to that, he turned into one of those guys who had to go all hardcore on everyone, which would have worked if I had been hoping to APPLY the techniques, but I was just learning, and so having to put up with a guy who SERIOUSLY tried to hurt me (not just by using the techniques we had been taught, but by flat out trying to fight me) was fairly difficult.

Time went on, I was still 10th kyu, but had accelerated a lot. One day my Sensei picked the other student and myself to demonstrate some of the moves we had learned that day. While choppy, hesitant, and slow, I managed to get down the moves on him, which angered him as he was visibly fighting me to make me fail. Unfortunately for him, the techniques did not work on me. It's not that I'm saying he was bad at what he did, it's just I have an unfair advantage in that I'm EXTREMELY flexible, and so a lot of locks don't work on me. He became frustrated and sensei called for a stop, saying that he took too long to apply any sort of technique on me.

A few days passed and nobody heard anything from the student, then Sensei came up to us all and informed us that he had left the dojo, telling us that the student had come up to sensei demanding a black belt test, sensei denied it to him, saying that even Justin, at that point 1st kyu and on his way to becoming sempai, wasn't getting his black belt test yet because he wasn't ready, so this student, who couldn't even keep his head clear in the dojo, was clearly not ready. The student became angry and left the dojo.

Months later, we were all on the internet and we came across a new Bujinkan dojo led by THAT STUDENT. He claimed to be teaching Shinken-Gata and a MASTER of ninutsu.

I'm not a teacher, so maybe I shouldn't be talking, but it just seems funny that this guy is now claiming to be a great master of ninjutsu, when I remember so clearly him not being able to handle me.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last night he came to class I ask he hold the body shield for my chief instructor and myself. He agreed, and we took turns slamming arc kicks in to the body shield. On my first kick it displaced his body a few feet backwards. :lfao: The look on his face was priceless :eek: Needless to say, after that night he never came back. I have had a few other people come in a say they were a black belt in "whatever" and they didn't know squat. Any similar stories? I would love to hear them. I glad I had the forsight NOT to let him apply a Lock to me.

Live Long and Prosper

It's a shame that he didn't want to stay and actually learn some...

I'll never forget the guy that showed up to one of my classes, just for showing off purposes (poorly at that!). So far, that's all I've experienced.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I've been training in Togakure-ryu budo taijustu for about two years now under Shihan Jason Hardy. I just got promoted to green belt,

Really? No ****? In Togakure-ryu Budo Taijutsu? Specifically? Awesome.

*Rolls eyes*

I'm assuming you mean Budo Taijutsu INCLUDING Togakure-ryu, right? :p

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, the old name of the dojo claimed that we taught only Togakure-Ryu. We've abandoned the dojo since then, we train in a park, so right now we refer to ourselves only as Spirit Warriors, and haven't mentioned anything about what particular school we practice, but I'm pretty sure it's still just Togakure-ryu.

Latest Discussions