Still Rumbling On

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18453372

I find it hard to fathom that serious, grown up, politicians are still kicking this around as if the Argentinian position had a shred of validity. Trying to get the UN involved to further shout about it on the international stage is a silly move ... tho' not as low as refusing to accept an attempt at opening a dialogue that was offered by the Falkland Islanders themselves.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a common misconception among a lot of people that the Falklands is a British colony, it isn't it's a Self Governing British Territory, that means Britain is only responsible for defence and foreign affairs, the rest the Falklands Islands Government sorts out.
What the Agentinian President is ommitting to tell her people is that her husband signed a treaty with the Falklands and British governments to share any wealth from minerals oil etc 50/50, she tore up that treaty.
There is to be a referendum next year to ascertain what the Falkland Islanders want, I'd say that was a foregone conclusion just like that of the Gibraltarians.
http://en.mercopress.com/2012/03/06/will-no-one-listen-to-us-falkland-islanders

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Argentinians who are descended from Europeans have realised the irony of their claiming that the Falklands is just a British colony and should be given back to Argentina? All those fine Argentinians who's ancestors colonised the country, wiping out the locals where they could....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Argentina

Perhaps someone could point out to Hilary Clinton that stabbing your best friends and relatives in the back for a flaky government and a ridiculous claim is going to have consquences. If we have to give up the Falklands on the basis the islands are closer to Argentina perhaps America could give up Alaska to Russia as it's closer not to mention Hawaii not being that close to the US 'mainland'.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Perhaps someone could point out to Hilary Clinton that stabbing your best friends and relatives in the back for a flaky government and a ridiculous claim is going to have consquences. If we have to give up the Falklands on the basis the islands are closer to Argentina perhaps America could give up Alaska to Russia as it's closer not to mention Hawaii not being that close to the US 'mainland'.

As a point of order, the U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia, in 1867, and-at about 2 cents an acre-a pretty good deal it was......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a point of order, the U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia, in 1867, and-at about 2 cents an acre-a pretty good deal it was......

I know but I made that point to show the ludicrousness of the Argentinians claim that because the Falklands are closer to them than the UK the islands must belong to them. The Canary Islands should not belong to Spain either if proximity is to be the guiding law to which territory belongs to whom.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, well, a Conservative PM doing something I approve of ... must be that Mayan end-of-the-world thing going on :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18513976

I know that in part it was Cameron putting out the flag for the home audience but history is replete with examples of the truism that, in politics, more is done by personal interaction that by the Dance of Departments. Doesn't always mean the things that happen are positive in the short term of course but his talking to the mad woman in person might have more effect than allowing her to continue to trot out her groundless fantasy.

Perhaps he should have taken the letter she tried to press on him and returned a note ... something along the lines of "We have nuclear weapons you know ... bwahahaha!".

Latest Discussions