Steven Lopez lost to Iran's Yousef Karami in Baku

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have had very bad performances this year at worlds and now at the qualifier. Maybe we need to send some of the other weight classes and give them there chance like stephen Lamdom just to name someone.

I just cannot remember the last time we have been dominated like this, can anyone else.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree that Steven & Mark Lopez are a little past their "peak". Terrence Jennings took it to Servet Tazegul who is the current World Champion & the most exciting fighter as of late. Steven Lopez will need to STOP leg-checking & use his cut kick if he's gonna win another Olympic Gold Medal!!! Stephen Lambdin will be ready in 2016. We'll have to see about Terrence Jennings & TJ Curry on their performances in their respective weight classes. What is gonna be exciting is the Pan Am Qualification where Peru, Mexico, & USA are strong in featherweight. I have no doubts that Steven will qualify at welterweight!

Diana Lopez will qualify at Pan Ams. I unsure for Paige qualifying at welterweight, but she's gonna get better in the next few years. What is gonna be crazy is the 2012 US Olympic Team Trials!!!!!!! I think all of the fighters are gonna "let loose" & go for it because every fighter with the exception of Diana is very vunerable right now. All of this IMHO.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yousef with his intentional falls, faking injury to rest and grabbing incessently... What a champ.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have had very bad performances this year at worlds and now at the qualifier. Maybe we need to send some of the other weight classes and give them there chance like stephen Lamdom just to name someone. I just cannot remember the last time we have been dominated like this, can anyone else.

USA always brought home medals at every WTF International Event until this year. For decades USA was the number two country in the world in terms of medal production, right behind Korea. I think it is a combination of a lot of factors all coming together at the same time -- stagnant us developmental program, other countries getting better, Lopez family losing steam for a variety of reasons, enforcement of steven lopez anti leg checking rule (developed specifically to neutralize him), La Just at world championships, general anti-american sentiment worldwide and not just in taekwondo, lack of political or other power of US representatives to WTF, poor behavior repeatedly exhibited by USAT representatives at WTF events, general dislike of David Askinas within WTF, etc. You cannot have all these things going on at the same time and not expect negative ramifications.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
USA always brought home medals at every WTF International Event until this year. For decades USA was the number two country in the world in terms of medal production, right behind Korea. I think it is a combination of a lot of factors all coming together at the same time -- stagnant us developmental program, other countries getting better, Lopez family losing steam for a variety of reasons, enforcement of steven lopez anti leg checking rule (developed specifically to neutralize him), La Just at world championships, general anti-american sentiment worldwide and not just in taekwondo, lack of political or other power of US representatives to WTF, poor behavior repeatedly exhibited by USAT representatives at WTF events, general dislike of David Askinas within WTF, etc. You cannot have all these things going on at the same time and not expect negative ramifications.

I can only agree with you puunui, we have got to get a better stream line of talent to keep the pool flowing. I was hoping for some great fights from all our fighter especially Stven and Diane, I am sure they will qualify in Mexico. Whatever happens we need to back the athletes and support them as much as possible.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Develop the new talent. We have some good competitors but the lack of attention to getting these guys up to par is what is missing. Plus I say that any competitors coach that got them there should share in coaching at the major events. Not just the Olympic team coaches. Who knows the competitors best? These coaches should be there as assistants at least.

Gene Lopez made this exact point as a positive for why he and Steven were on top. Maybe Steven does not have 5 WC or 2 OG without Gene. Point is that Steven had his coach with him the entire time. Let someone else try it also. What makes Gene or Juan a better coach for any other than his own guy?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Plus I say that any competitors coach that got them there should share in coaching at the major events. Not just the Olympic team coaches. Who knows the competitors best? These coaches should be there as assistants at least.

Historically, I believe we have won more medals when players do not have their personal instructor as their coach. Steven Lopez for example, won his first Olympic gold medal with GM Young In Cheon sitting in his chair. Someone also told me that Juan Moreno has sat in the chair of many of his athletes who have never medalled at WTF International Events and the only people who Jean seems to coach to medals are his family members. I haven't followed that too much so I wouldn't know. But if that is true, then it would give another perspective on the importance or unimportance of having one's personal coach at an international event.

Latest Discussions