Steven Lopez controversy

T

TKD_Charlie

hey guys, im new here and was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what happened in the 2000 games with Steven Lopez and Sin. Ive been trying to look up information but most of the stuff i read were very biased and could not get a clear explanation.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The AP release I found says that they were tied, and Lopez won the match by decision because Sin Jun-sik had penalties gainst him from earlier in the match.

Other than the fact that it sucks for S. Korea to lose out on the gold by decision, what's the controversey?

Edit: By the way, welcome to MartialTalk. :wavey:

OP
T

TKD USA

This is what happened, Sin scored the first point on Lopez but lost it due to a penalty then lopez won by a head kick

OP
T

TKD_Charlie

Ok heres the controversy, I read this in a newspaper and wanted to quote it, but couldnt find it. However, it basically said that Steven Lopez won gold due to a bad referee's decision. In actuality, Sin shouldve won gold and Lopez silver, but they decided to let Lopez keep the gold. The referee, Flavio Perez of Columbia was sancioned by the WTF and suspended for a year. What i want to know is what call did the referee make and why was it such a bad call. Was it a bad judgment call? or a blatant bad call that no one contested the time? Did steven lopez really deserve to win the gold? or was Flavio suspended because the korean influences in the WTF were mad at lopez winning so got Perez suspended?? can anyone help me clarify what exactly happened at the 2000 TKD games in Sydney (evidence with articles and such would be nice too)

p.s., i know it might sound that im a lil biased and skeptical of lopez, but that is because im korean, though i am a korean american, born in NY. i cant help it :p

pps, thanks Zepp, im sure ill like it here

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Well, I can't say my opinion is unbiased, but from the sound of it, it seems the referee was suspended by the WTF for giving the match to an American over a Korean.

At the end of the match the score (which isn't decided by the ref.) was tied, so as I understand it, it's entirely the referee's decision as to who wins.

Admittedly, I haven't read much about it. But I doubt that you'll find anyone writing about it from an unbiased perspective.

OP
T

TKD_Charlie

Is There No One Out There That Nows Exactly What Happened??

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD_Charlie said:
Is There No One Out There That Nows Exactly What Happened??
No real controversy Mr Lopez was behind in point and with the deduction for the other guy, those minus point gave Mr Lopez the match.. I can not see any controversy that is the rule of the game... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Latest Discussions