Stepping

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems there is another guy b.
First guy b. has a period at the end of his name. 2nd one does not.
Going to make things confusing.

It says "member since yesterday." Are we sure this is not the same Guy B. with a different account to dodge the moderators? Because his posting style sure seems similar! ;)

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am the same person and will be using this account

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Step with the whole foot, shift on the ball of foot to get off the line, shift on the heel to move the opponent.

As much as possible, our feet slide forward rather than stepping.
This is done to increase awareness of changes in terrain or obstacles that your feet might encounter ( so that you wont step heavily onto the edge of a curb that you didn't notice, for example).
If a large step is necessary, then the heel comes down first, like Geezer said.

This sounds EXTREMELY impractical.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Marnetmar and Cephalopod: Not so impractical in my experience. Like what Cephalopod described, on relatively level, smooth surfaces like pavement, I also train with the lead foot gliding, just brushing the ground, with the toes lifted a little like skiis. On rougher surfaces, I lift my foot as much as necessary. This works very well with the back weighted "WT" stance and steps, and your lead foot feels out your path much like a man-sau or "asking-hand" feels the way for the hands.

Back in the mid eighties I conducted class on a concrete slab behind the house I shared with other grad students. There was always a lot of junk strewn about, stuff like dog chew-toys, balls, muddy shoes, a garden hose left snaking across the slab and so on. Students entered the area via the side gate and were expected to clean-off and sweep the workout area. If they forgot, I would kill the lights and we would all practice our steps in the dark using this "gliding foot" technique until all the junk had been pushed aside. Alternating huen-bo (circle-step) was especially efficatious! ;)

Reactions: KPM
OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How would creating a new account with a nearly identical name, then telling people it's the same person, let him hide from moderators?

Quite. I'm not hiding from the moderators. My other account doesn't work well enough to post messages so I have changed to another account.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
This sounds EXTREMELY impractical.

Same can be said for a great number of skills until the persistent application of kung fu grinds them permanently into our being!

I'm not saying that I am perpetually hyper-aware of nature of the ground beneath my feet...but hey... a man's gotta dream.

And in the mean time, hopefully I'll avoid slipping on those squeaky chew-toys :)

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok practical experiment time. Change stepping to the opposite of what you do now. What do you find?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ummm...I'd look like Lord of the Dance guy? :D

Yeah, I pulled up one of your stepping videos. I liked the battle punch steps at about 1:20 and also the fingertip Bart Cham Dao chopping movements at about 1:35, but some of your kicking toward the end was a little high by the standards of my WC.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ummm...I'd look like Lord of the Dance guy? :D

Joking aside, it shifts your balance and changes the way you connect to the ground, which in turn directly controls the way you step and the way you turn. When might it be an advantage to have front of foot connection? When back of foot connection to ground?

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Toe, it allows you to judge the terrain, plant better in slippery or soft surface and not get swept.

Eric,
Wouldn't getting swept have more to do with where you've placed your weight? I can step with toe or heel keeping my weight on the back leg, though I can see where stepping toe first might encourage you to keep your weight on the rear until it's safe to advance.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joking aside, it shifts your balance and changes the way you connect to the ground, which in turn directly controls the way you step and the way you turn. When might it be an advantage to have front of foot connection? When back of foot connection to ground?

This. I've heard many instructors (of various arts) tell students their various "always right" instructions. I've then watched nearly every one of them do it a different way when that actually worked better. There's no one right answer to which way to step, in any art, in my opinion. There are principles, and those should drive the choice of step shape, distance, speed, weight distribution, and so forth. Some of those principles differ by art or style, but most are common to all, since they are common to the human anatomy and to physics.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This. I've heard many instructors (of various arts) tell students their various "always right" instructions. I've then watched nearly every one of them do it a different way when that actually worked better. There's no one right answer to which way to step, in any art, in my opinion. There are principles, and those should drive the choice of step shape, distance, speed, weight distribution, and so forth. Some of those principles differ by art or style, but most are common to all, since they are common to the human anatomy and to physics.

For teaching purposes I think there are better ways to step at particular times.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eric,
Wouldn't getting swept have more to do with where you've placed your weight? I can step with toe or heel keeping my weight on the back leg, though I can see where stepping toe first might encourage you to keep your weight on the rear until it's safe to advance.

Its in how you plant the weight, but you're not far off. That said, you can't plant the heel without committing weight in way that leaves you open to a sweep, at least not that I've ever seen.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its in how you plant the weight, but you're not far off. That said, you can't plant the heel without committing weight in way that leaves you open to a sweep, at least not that I've ever seen.
Sure I can. If I keep my weight on my right leg, flex my left foot, and move it forward (keeping weight on my right foot), sweeping the left will be minimally effective. It may be more effective than sweeping me if I do the same movement with the foot extended, but only because of the natural slope and flexibility of the bottom of the foot, which will diffuse a too-low sweep in the second scenario.

The primary difference, as I see it, is how far I can step without transferring weight to the left foot.

Latest Discussions