Tun tou in wing chun

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For those that have it, describe how swallow/spit works with lin siu dai da in your wing chun.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For reference here is a good youtube series on SPM basic ideas. This system definitely uses tun/tou in almost everything

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Moot sau??? Sounds irrelevant. ;)

Functionally much like the elbow returning to center from fak sau to fook sau at the end of the first third of Chum Kiu.

We never used the "float, sink, swallow, spit" terminology, although I can see analogous movements. You could find it in tan-da for example. Seems like we've already had that discussion. So why would I want to type-out a detailed description of other, similar techniques that use something like swallow-spit only to be told how wrong I am? Right now, I prefer to sit back and listen.

Last edited:
OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just trying to encourage some discussion

I would say that something like SPM is much more optimised for swallow spit than is wing chun. Why would that be?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would say that something like SPM is much more optimised for swallow spit than is wing chun. Why would that be?

Dunno...but I think wc has these things. Sadly, I lack the ability to express them in written form given that it's late and I'm old and crusty and sleepy...

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dunno...but I think wc has these things. Sadly, I lack the ability to express them in written form given that it's late and I'm old and crusty and sleepy...

Absolutely the mainland systems of Wing Chun have these! They are actually 4 of the 18 "Kiu Sau principles" of Tang Yik Weng Chun. They are found in Pin Sun Wing Chun and explicitly trained in some of the sets. Anyone that thinks this is not traditionally part of Wing Chun has just not seen much of the variety of Wing Chun!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just trying to encourage some discussion

Sorry Guy, you'll have to answer that since I have no knowledge of SPM. Pak Mei, Lung Ying, or any other Southern Fist other than WC. But from a pure WC perspective, at least my lineage, we maintain forward intent, even when one hand yields as the other extends. Even the yielding technique has forward pressure, it may be "yin" to the other's yang, but it doesn't withdraw, or "swallow". That would be a big difference.

Last edited:
OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely the mainland systems of Wing Chun have these! They are actually 4 of the 18 "Kiu Sau principles" of Tang Yik Weng Chun. They are found in Pin Sun Wing Chun and explicitly trained in some of the sets. Anyone that thinks this is not traditionally part of Wing Chun has just not seen much of the variety of Wing Chun!

Can you describe a typical example of these ideas in use from mainland wing chun?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From a pure WC perspective, at least my lineage, we maintain forward intent, even when one hand yields as the other extends. Even the yielding technique has forward pressure, it may be "yin" to the other's yang, but it doesn't withdraw, or "swallow". That would be a big difference.

That would be a big difference. Would you say then that these ideas are incompatible with your wing chun, or at least that you can't think of a way in which they could be compatible?

Sorry Guy, you'll have to answer that since I have no knowledge of SPM. Pak Mei, Lung Ying, or any other Southern Fist other than WC

No offence but the clips you found of SPM and LY are very poor examples. There isn't much genuine material from either of these on youtube. While Evo's basics is, well...basic, it is at least the real system being shown. I think it is about the best example of any of the Hakka systems on youtube from what I have seen. Swallow spit very emphasised in SPM. Can it be used in wing chun?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you describe a typical example of these ideas in use from mainland wing chun?

Sorry. I don't share such things with "stupid people" whose main purpose seems to be to criticize what others do.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ My mistake! I thought you were referring to my comment. I see now that you are referring to the fact that a new account for Guy B seems to have appeared!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ My mistake! I thought you were referring to my comment. I see now that you are referring to the fact that a new account for Guy B seems to have appeared!

Yeah that is what I thought. Must be two different people, or one got banned, or the same.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't share such things with "stupid people" whose main purpose seems to be to criticize what others do.

Constructive.

Why post on the thread then?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah that is what I thought. Must be two different people, or one got banned, or the same.

My guess is that it is the same Guy B with a new account to dodge the moderators. His posting style is certainly the same!

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you post such things on various threads? You do it all the time.

I think I am one of the most open and productive posters on this forum. Any comments referencing Philipp Bayer's "stupid people" comment were made in the context of a thread where people were trolling for info without contributing anything. By contrast it is possible to share everything in an atmosphere of mutual trust.

I am prepared to move past that unfortunate argument if you are.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My guess is that it is the same Guy B with a new account to dodge the moderators. His posting style is certainly the same!

There is no need to play forum detective. I am the same guy b.

Latest Discussions