Staff Training

M

MartialArtist

I'm interested in fighting with the staff. How many of you have experience with a staff in the Chinese arts and what was your experience like?

OP
F

Furious George

I train a form called 'Fith son's double ended cudgel' or Ng Long Gwun. It is the first weapon trained in our school - after that broadsword, spear, straight sword and then elective weapons.
It is a northern-style staff set and uses a flexible staff (rattan) about head-height. The hands are held the same way on the staff (ie: both palms down) - apparently because monks/villagers were used to carrying water-buckets on a pole this way (across the shoulders). The staff strikes follow the body closely to generate power and create a whipping strike - feels a lot more 'alive' than hardwood. There are several kicks, traps etc. in the form, which is quite long, but can be broken down into two sets.

Chinese staff forms are often related to spear sets, and tend to grip the staff near to one end when striking, as opposed to holding the staff in 3rds.

We also do padded-weapons sparring (with helmet, arm/leg guards, chest pad, etc.) and the staff tends to be the easiest weapon to free-spar with for a beginner. It's interesting how the target-focus shifts to the extremities - wrists, ankles, top of head...totally different than empty-hand sparring. I have tried sparring against a staff with a katana, but it's very difficult. One of the drawbacks of padded-weapon sparring is that you can't deliver a straight thrust (no 'poking' strikes) as it's too dangerous. Takes away a fair amount of techniques - esp. with a sword... lots of fun though.

OP
Y

yilisifu

Since Yilichuan uses both staff and spear, the use of the staff is focused on the "thirds" grip for the most part. In the spear set, the use of one end is emphasized - so only after learning both sets is one able to handle both skilfully.

Neither set is very flowery (the staff set includes a number of throws and disarming techniques), ut designed exclusively for actual combat.

Light sparring is practiced (although not with a stell spear-tip) and no real injuries have ever been experienced.

OP
M

Ma_Kuiwu

When working the staff, I found that adding a little to the program helped me out quite a bit.
I took a 6 foot section 1.25" steel pipe and blasted it down, fill primed it and used several coats of metallic red auto paint (cuz it was pretty) to finish it. I then welded a cap on one end and used the treaded end to put on another. At this point the "practice staff" weighed in at nearly 10 lbs.

After a while I can unscrew the end and insert a second rod or other substance for additional weight.

After working my Chinese Staff drills and doing the okinawan staff sets, 10 lbs is more than enough for now.

I call it my "Compliant Golden Hooped Rod" after Monkeys famous staff from Xiyouji.:D