Sport vs. Street

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
See you didn't know. I was referring to his calling certain techniques, "TKD kicks". This is like saying, "I train UFC". That is all.

Well, you phrased the question weirdly. But some TKD kicks do work, it is just TKD is stereotyped for its flashy kicks, but they do have some that are simple and work. The video I posted is an example of this.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this "sport", we already have one guy pinning down someone for his buddy to soccer kick and stomp on his head. How much more realism do you want
Frried Rice, I am smelling an agenda here. I've been in about a hundred street fights, won nearly all, as winning is defined, been marked in nearly all, and nope, never had to maim anyone, but I've been in group fights wehre people have been badly maimed, i.e. the kick to the knee causing reversal of the joint, elbow and shoulder dislocations and a cracked skull one time.

That stuff just doesn't happen at the rate in sport matches as in the real world. But, feel free to go ahead and pound your drum, it's OK. I can see the point of view, trying to raise the "realism" in what you do, or what you like to watch, I'm just not into it the same way any longer.

Maybe I'm old.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, this site has got some real dangerous people on it.

It's almost intimidating.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know why others make the distinction. To me, it's part ethics, part strategy. The strategy part is understanding the difference between a fight (stay in until you win or lose) and defense (if you have a chance to escape, generally, you should take it). The ethics part is more personal, but it ties to the idea of avoiding unnecessary risk, too (a principle of self-protection). If someone offers violence, it's generally better to decline than to engage, if that's an option. So, if someone loses their mind in anger (the "emotional hijacking" I referenced in another thread) and wants me to go out back with them, I won't go. I simply won't agree to the fight. Of course, we could probably come up with a circumstance where agreeing to the fight might be acceptable, but it wouldn't normally be so.

If we don't make a distinction between what is self-defense and what isn't, we put all fighting on the same moral plane. I think most people would agree that there's nothing wrong with fighting to defend oneself from an attack, and that any injuries you receive while doing so are the "fault" of the attacker. I think most people would also agree that agreeing to fight someone who just wants to hurt you because they are mad at you is probably a bad idea, and that any injuries you sustain in that situation are at least partly your own responsibility.

No. In regards to what the video and post that was trying to point out that a whole bunch of real fights that people dont die and don't kill.

Kill or be killed in the street may happen but it is only the norm if you choose to make it so.

That is where you made the distinction between self defence and mutually agreed fights.

So the distinction should effect that situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man, this site has got some real dangerous people on it.

It's almost intimidating.

Yeah training for a world where every fight can kill you makes you dangerous. luckily the people you are fighting probably can't fight very well so you don't have to train very hard.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah training for a world where every fight can kill you makes you dangerous. luckily the people you are fighting probably can't fight very well so you don't have to train very hard.

I'm not talking about the training. I do a lot of training.

I'm talking about all the street and gang fights some have been in. It's like The Warriors in here

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the training. I do a lot of training.

I'm talking about all the street and gang fights some have been in. It's like The Warriors in here.
Hey, and that's just the sport guys. The street guys are straight gangster.

Anything sports guys do, they do more deadly.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ok, you're a noob in the realm of MA. We all had to start somewhere.

Mmm, one does not advertise one skills. At the risk of the moderators ire, you sir are what we call in the UK, a grade A bell end. Each to their own, but when you get some hurt, don't start crying when you get hurt. Because frankly, you're **** is going to get fried with that attitude.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See you didn't know. I was referring to his calling certain techniques, "TKD kicks". This is like saying, "I train UFC". That is all.

I would like to add that I never referenced anything. Perhaps you slow down a tad, and remember what you type.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you phrased the question weirdly. But some TKD kicks do work, it is just TKD is stereotyped for its flashy kicks, but they do have some that are simple and work. The video I posted is an example of this.

Even flashy kicks work. They're not a high percentage shot, but they can work.
And, too, what's flashy to someone who isn't a very good kicker is routine to someone who is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the same. Well skills are just natural movements. IE David Beckham and that right foot. He had to hone the technique, but the skill was already there.
The term skill does not normally refer to that which is natural. It is something developed. There may be instances of people with natural strengths that make skill development easy in some area, but the skill is not usually natural.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No its not. Skils can be honed. You have them or you don't. Its what makes us non robotic :)
I disagree entirely. Capacity is natural. A highly-skilled soccer player did not come out of the womb with the skills and ability to kick the ball that well. They learned techniques and honed them into the necessary skills. Ball-handling is a skill, and was learned. Now, for people the learning may have been very easy. For others, it was grueling work. Look at Pele's story - he spent many hours learning to control the ball to become the player he was.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CB that is a very good answer. Sorry though, I don't subscribe to that, yeah.

Anyway, natural ability doesn't have to be learnt. Just ever so contradicting of the message :)
No contradiction there. "Natural abilities enhance the skills." So, if someone has a natural ability, they will usually be able to reach a higher level of skill faster.

Dictionary.com definition of skill: "the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. It's just that you kept quoting my post calling something SD, and saying "that's not self defense", which implies that you're the Final Authority.
No, it doesn't imply that. It means I don't agree that it's self-defense. Or, are you the final authority on what something implies?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're defending themselves from attacks. What's considered rational to someone who's not used to violence is usually different than those who, ie. lives in the ghetto and must use violence often to survive daily life. The last thing that someone wants to be in the ghetto, is the B, that runs away all the time.
That's one of those grey areas I talked about. If you take a single instance, it isn't self-defense if they could reasonably escape, but don't. In the view of ongoing violence, it might actually be safer in some cases to engage, since escaping the instance doesn't escape the situation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's not. There is an art called Tae Kwon Do. They have kicks. Those kicks can be fairly referred to as "TKD kicks". UFC is a competition. Nobody can train "in" it - it's just not grammatically correct, since UFC isn't a style - though they can train "for" it. (Mind you, "MMA" is starting to be referred to as a style by some, in spite of the origin of the term itself, so someone could reasonably claim to "train in MMA"...though the usage bugs me.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even flashy kicks work. They're not a high percentage shot, but they can work.
And, too, what's flashy to someone who isn't a very good kicker is routine to someone who is.
Agreed. There are kicks that look amazing to me (I've only ever trained and used pretty basic stuff) that someone from Kyokushin would probably find simple.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But it's not. There is an art called Tae Kwon Do. They have kicks. Those kicks can be fairly referred to as "TKD kicks". UFC is a competition. Nobody can train "in" it - it's just not grammatically correct, since UFC isn't a style - though they can train "for" it. (Mind you, "MMA" is starting to be referred to as a style by some, in spite of the origin of the term itself, so someone could reasonably claim to "train in MMA"...though the usage bugs me.)

What would you call the class that people go to to learn MMA though?

Latest Discussions