Sport TKD( Integrity,Respect)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wasn't all that long ago that a perspective student had to demonstrate the correct attitude to earn the right to train in a Dojo/Dojang. If they didn't they were shown the door.

Really? When was this? I ask because I have never been a member of a commercial martial arts school, in the sense of contracts, etc. and every school I have ever been a part of was always open to anyone who wished to join.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? When was this? I ask because I have never been a member of a commercial martial arts school, in the sense of contracts, etc. and every school I have ever been a part of was always open to anyone who wished to join.
At both the tkd club I train at and the karate club I trained at if a student showed poor manner or was arrogant, rude, disrespectful etc they would be polietely asked to leave and not return. It doesnt happen often but I have seen my current instructor do it twice in the time Ive trained under him.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I've done it as well when I operated a school. They aren't 'in' just because they show up with a check book.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It wasn't all that long ago that a perspective student had to demonstrate the correct attitude to earn the right to train in a Dojo/Dojang. If they didn't they were shown the door.
Is this in a private or commercial school? Granted I have only been around since 1980 in the martial arts, but I don't recall ever hearing about this outside of Samurai Sunday movies and occasional claim from certain people who said their master only accepted certain students worthy of handing down the system too. (Note: The latter usually turned out to be frauds).

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, and one idiot walking around in your dojo can and will reflect on the whole organisation.

Absolutely agree, I have ask only thre in the last twelve years to leave. Those was the one's no matter what knew everything and had nothing ever good to say.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don't operate a school anymore?

If you mean a school with four definitive walls and a sign out front, no, not anymore.

If you mean school as in teaching at my home, or someone elses home, or the beach or where ever then yes, I still operate a school. Even when I had four walls I spent as much time out of them as possible in different training environments.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this in a private or commercial school? Granted I have only been around since 1980 in the martial arts, but I don't recall ever hearing about this outside of Samurai Sunday movies and occasional claim from certain people who said their master only accepted certain students worthy of handing down the system too. (Note: The latter usually turned out to be frauds).

Every school I've trained at or operated went by this principle. I don't accept just anyone walking in off the street. I screen them first. And most of my students I knew firsthand prior to training or where personally vouched for referals from existing students.

Latest Discussions