Spontaneity

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
um...I hate to plead ingnorance...but I have no idea what you just said. It sounded japanese, but I don't know what it meant. could you explain?

I have no idea either... :confused: I wouldn't worry about it however.... Some like to use terminology that no one else understands to seem intelligent. Maybe I should go over to a Japanese site and start talking about our self defense techniques or freestyle techniques by coding.........:rofl:

Seems that if they want to be conversational they would be courteous enough to speak the same language as everybody else.

But that's my opinion ........ I could Be wrong....

:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought "Sabaki" was a tournament held here in Denver where contestants beat the tar of each other without pads.

B1a or B1b?

:asian:

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sabaki refers to positioning oneself to the side and to the back of your opponent (Obscure zones) where you are better able to throw him off balance and counterattack.

Ashi is 'leg' in Japanese.

Ashi Sabaki is basically nothing more than 'footwork'

it is related to Tai Sabaki which is 'Body Movement'

Randori is freestyle sparring where everything is allowed.. primarily a term used by Japanese 'soft styles' like Aikido, Judo, and Jujitsu. I believe the 'Hard Style' equivilent is the term Jiyu Kumite

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

:soapbox:

Respectfully, Seig, I must disagree. However, I'm not a black belt, but I have taught a lot of classes.

if you wanna spar white belts, go for it... but personally, I don't want to put myself at risk for injury doing something that trivial, mainly because I can't afford to be injured and miss work, because I don't get sick pay, and if I'm not completely physically mobile, I can't do my job.

I think instructors are not only responsible for teaching martial arts, they're responsible for the safety of the students in their studio, and putting some (not all...some white belts have surprising control) white belts in a sparring class is simply a safety hazard.

I know firsthand that kenpo works in the street, and I don't need a sparring match to tell me that. Sparring is not street fighting. There are very specific rules for what you can and can't do, and the rules are there so nobody gets hurt. Even though the white belts know the rules, when they're put in a sparring situation, they don't follow the rules, and that's where people get hurt.:cool:
Nightingale,
I understand your point. I'm not throwing them to the sharks. They spar me first, to get them past the mystique and fear of sparring. They spar my senior students next, so that they realise that no one is there to hurt them. I put them with people that can handle themselves and avoid the common pitfalls of dealing with an untrained fighter. It's worked very well for me. :asian:

C

Chiduce

um...I hate to plead ingnorance...but I have no idea what you just said. It sounded japanese, but I don't know what it meant. could you explain?
Ashi-Sabaki is just combat footwork. Changing body positioning in reference to the attacker's striking positioning. We use the square foot method of stepping and body positioning to yield and accept an on-rushing attack or right or left lead punch to unbalance the attacker by using his/her yang force against them. This is done by trapping/ grappling the lead punching arm, locking the elbow or wrist joint and pivoting on the right or left foot while pulling the attacker in his/her forward circular direction. This increases their motion forward. Then as they are moving forward in this direction, you adjust your trapping hand reverse the sabaki motion and pivot in the opposite direction. This will tear at the shoulder muscles and dislocate the arm at the shoulder. A forceful reverse pivoting motion can seriously injure the attacker, especially if he/she tries to resist the reverse sabaki motion! All in-betweens explore counter-striking and breaks while the sabaki motion is in progress. By the way. I have the creator of the sabaki challenge's training manual (The Sabaki Method)! It is very good text. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

C

C.E.Jackson

Everybody has to start sparring sometime. I require my students to be a yellow belt before starting sparring classes so they have some basics down and have had some time to get "oriented" to the concept of control. Even then I get beat up worse be novices that any Black Belt I've ever faced (except perhaps Jim Harrison.) :cuss: He always kicked my butt!! LOL

Originally posted by Robbo

On the other hand, I think a controlled advanced student is what a begginer SHOULD be matched against.

Old chinese proverb - If two white belts fight, one will certainly be mortally wounded.....and the other will be dead :D

Thanks,
Rob