Splashing Hands - Mr. Jim McNeil

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just found this Splashing Hands clip that was done by Mr. Jim McNeil.

I don't particularly like the way he explains his work but I really, really like the concepts that he is showing.

Is anyone else familiar with this gentleman?

[yt]1M091-G3F4Y[/yt]

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Carol he has been around for many years. thanks for posting this, I did not know a video that goes into some detail was put up. I believe that somewhere on MartialTalk there is a very long discussion of the style with many persons weighing in on the history, and different branches of it and so forth.

Thanks Again!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just found this Splashing Hands clip that was done by Mr. Jim McNeil.

I don't particularly like the way he explains his work but I really, really like the concepts that he is showing.

Is anyone else familiar with this gentleman?

[yt]1M091-G3F4Y[/yt]

I knew him, but not as well as some of my friends like Doug Wong, and Carl Totton, who actually studied with Lefiti regularly. Although we've had this discussion before, I think that McNeil has taken a conceptual methodology and turned into a style of his own. The same was done with Limalama, and even motion based kenpo, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the things he says has some merit, others don't account for the reality of combat body mechanics. Ideas still have to be translated into workable street mechanics.

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think that McNeil has taken a conceptual methodology and turned into a style of his own.
I thought he learned this style from Lefiti and even got a black sash in it.

Some of the things he says has some merit, others don't account for the reality of combat body mechanics. .
Which parts don't you believe to work?

I was under the impression that Splashing Hands was a very street-oriented system.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I can see some material that reminds me of Okinawan Karate! It's fascinating to see the connections.

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I can see some material that reminds me of Okinawan Karate!

That makes sense. There may well be a link.

Wasn't Okinawan karate originally derived from Southern Shaolin temple arts? Fukien Shaolin IIRC.

Splashing Hands was also developed at the southern Shaolin temple and was used by the door guards. So there may indeed have been a connection with this art and Okinawan karate.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought he learned this style from Lefiti and even got a black sash in it.
I don't remember him getting a black sash, and neither do the folks I've talked to who studied, but that doesn't mean anything really. He did study with Lefiti. But as I've said before, the "Splashing Hands" system he teaches is not the same, nor was it truly a 'style' unto itself under Sifu Lefiti. It seemed to be more a 'sub-style' within a style, and in the midst of evolving into many other styles.
I was under the impression that Splashing Hands was a very street-oriented system.
Street oriented method under Sifu Lefiti for sure. Beyond that is anyones opinion.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wasn't Okinawan karate originally derived from Southern Shaolin temple arts? Fukien Shaolin IIRC.

Splashing Hands was also developed at the southern Shaolin temple and was used by the door guards. So there may indeed have been a connection with this art and Okinawan karate.

Yes, Okinawan Karate comes principally from Southern Chinese Kung Fu, so it's no surprise!

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't remember him getting a black sash, and neither do the folks I've talked to who studied, but that doesn't mean anything really. He did study with Lefiti. But as I've said before, the "Splashing Hands" system he teaches is not the same, nor was it truly a 'style' unto itself under Sifu Lefiti. It seemed to be more a 'sub-style' within a style, and in the midst of evolving into many other styles.

Thanks for the information. I have never met McNeil, but it sounds quite out of character for him to create his own style. In every interview I have read, he consistently talks about his belief in keeping styles pure and not changing what his teachers taught him. I could be mistaken though. This is just the impression I got from his interviews.

Another question: When Lefiti gave a black sash, do you know what it was awarded in? Was he giving the sash in his own style, or was it in something else, like Mok Gar?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I have never met McNeil, but it sounds quite out of character for him to create his own style. In every interview I have read, he consistently talks about his belief in keeping styles pure and not changing what his teachers taught him. I could be mistaken though. This is just the impression I got from his interviews.

Another question: When Lefiti gave a black sash, do you know what it was awarded in? Was he giving the sash in his own style, or was it in something else, like Mok Gar?
Those I know of personally, it was Mok Gar. That's why I always said "Splashing Hands" was not so much a style as a method of teaching certain material. Splashing Hands ultimately either morphed into or had an influence on Lefiti's Gung fu, Lima Lama, Limalama, White Lotus, Ed Parker's kenpo-Karate, etc.

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Those I know of personally, it was Mok Gar. That's why I always said "Splashing Hands" was not so much a style as a method of teaching certain material. Splashing Hands ultimately either morphed into or had an influence on Lefiti's Gung fu, Lima Lama, Limalama, White Lotus, Ed Parker's kenpo-Karate, etc.

Thanks for that. Pretty interesting.

It would be good to try identify what came from Lefiti and what might have been added by McNeil. For example, do the people you know personally recall learning any animal forms?

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Carol, he has been around awhile and those techniques are done in almost every martial art there is, only taught differently

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Pretty interesting.

It would be good to try identify what came from Lefiti and what might have been added by McNeil. For example, do the people you know personally recall learning any animal forms?

I'll ask.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll ask.

Hey, Chief!

When we were on the phone a coupla months back, you had some of Tiny's original boyz at the batcave hanging out and talking story. I'm fixin to get down there soon with Elisa, both for SL4, as well as for my nieces High School grad and my parents' 50th anniversary (too long a drive not to kill many birds with one stone). Do they still get by on a regular enough basis that I might get a chance to meet them?

Stay safe,

D.

PS -- Sol Kaihewalu is up this way for a seminar at the Danzan-ryu kilohana school in Campbell (Hans is one of Kufferaths old right hand guys, and also employs some kempo/kenpo & lua). I'll tell him you said howdy! Going to see if I can get him to open up about old days with Tiny...bring some fun tidbits back to the table. :)

PPS -- Phone busted?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, Chief!

When we were on the phone a coupla months back, you had some of Tiny's original boyz at the batcave hanging out and talking story. I'm fixin to get down there soon with Elisa, both for SL4, as well as for my nieces High School grad and my parents' 50th anniversary (too long a drive not to kill many birds with one stone). Do they still get by on a regular enough basis that I might get a chance to meet them?
Let me know in advance, and I'll see if I can get them to come by.
PS -- Sol Kaihewalu is up this way for a seminar at the Danzan-ryu kilohana school in Campbell (Hans is one of Kufferaths old right hand guys, and also employs some kempo/kenpo & lua). I'll tell him you said howdy! Going to see if I can get him to open up about old days with Tiny...bring some fun tidbits back to the table. :)
Sol is a good guy and an old friend from waaaaay back. Please give him my regards.
PPS -- Phone busted?
Sick three weeks with flu - no sleep. Besides you haven't picked up recently anyway.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sick three weeks with flu - no sleep. Besides you haven't picked up recently anyway.

Yeah, but he's had an excuse. I don't. :lol2:

P.S. Quit blocking your caller ID ;)

Latest Discussions