Speed?Power?Accuracy?

If you could achieve perfection, which would it be?

• Speed

• Power

• Accuracy

Results are only viewable after voting.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
>>I would argue that with a shotgun at moving targets sight picture, and especially consistent follow-through, is far and away the key attribute...but shitgunners see sighst and sighting differently than other shooters. (I think most serious shotgunners wil agree on follow-through though).>>

As a semi-serious skeet shooter, I would agree that sight picture is important with ones approach to shotgunning moving targets, but only relative to the amount of lead and swing speed. Far more important is consistent mount, so the patter is actually going where you are looking/pointing, and keeping the gun moving, both for followthrough and maintaining the appropriate lead (or for catching and passing if you swing through rather than sustained lead) Of course for any of this to work you need to watch the target only, not the barrel, the bead or anything else. I suppose all my work on the skeet field ultimately helps my eyes work well for pistol craft.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Very interesting, thanks for posting that.

Some more food for thought. I was reading Applegate's KOGK again the other day and saw some interesting info. They analyzed the performance of recruits run through the famous "House of Horrors," a "shoot house" that included both pop-up targets and manequins (to practice sentry removal with a knife). They compared the results obtained by those who only had traditional "bullseye" training; those who had only been trained in "point-shooting;" and those who had both. I don't remember the exact percentages but those who had undergone both methods of training scored far higher than those only trained in bullseye marksmanship. The interesting part is that those who were only trained in point-shooting scored as high as those who had both types of training.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The interesting part is that those who were only trained in point-shooting scored as high as those who had both types of training.

This was almost a given as Col. Applegate was really the only person using a shoot-house type mock-up at the time. In other words it is not really a comparison of sighted vs. unsighted fire, but rather of Applegate's entire mindset towards handgun training. The sighted fire of the time was one hand, bullseye target, no movement, etc. This did not really change until the 60s and into the 70s, especially in the law enforcement world.