Speed increase

W

Wing_Chun_Bob

Hey all, im tryng to increase my speed considerably, I have my techniques down, but just looking for a way to make me faster anyone have any idea's?

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing_Chun_Bob said:
Hey all, im tryng to increase my speed considerably, I have my techniques down, but just looking for a way to make me faster anyone have any idea's?
keep your elbows in and stay relaxed

OP
W

Wing_Chun_Bob

oh no I know to keep my elbows and such in, i mean should I put weights on my hands and punch with those on till I am at the speed I am now without them on, so when the weights are off my hands speed is faster, would that work?

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing_Chun_Bob said:
oh no I know to keep my elbows and such in, i mean should I put weights on my hands and punch with those on till I am at the speed I am now without them on, so when the weights are off my hands speed is faster, would that work?
this could injure your shoulders and elbows I would try maybe doing punches with cables

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wing_Chun_Bob said:
More chi sao. Do it so that when you and your partner are stuck, you each use great forward force. This really works the all the arm and shoulder muscles. This, and lots of drilling, is all I do for handspeed exercise. My handspeed continues to improve.

OP
O

Oak Bo

Wing_Chun_Bob said:
No, dont put weights in your hands. That is a bad thing cuz it tells your nervous system to actually slow down.

The way to speed up is simply to move faster..Like Duh "Oak Bo"!? ;)
If you want to run faster, than you have to practice at running faster...Right!? If you want to kick faster, than you must practice doing kicks faster. Same thing with punches and the like. Make sure you techniques have perfect form, and then keep working them over and over. Practice, patience and persistance, and you will get there.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a boxer I've been working on hand speed a lot. I do use the weighted gloves and start off slow doing my shadow boxing. I work up to a little speed with the weights on and then take them off and let my hands fly! When using weights just don't throw hard puches and don't lock out your elbows when you throw punches. Make controlled movements and focus on technique. When training for speed I also stay away from any heavy lifting in the gym. Go with very little weight and lots and lots of reps. Like Oak Bo said to be fast you must train fast. I like to play with a tennis ball to build up handspeed too. Bounce it off the floor and walls, toss it to a co-worker as they pass and have them toss it back. Anything to keep your hands moving. I've also heard many boxers are fond of ping-pong because it builds hand speed. Ever work a speedbag?

PS. Hand weights or wrist weights don't need to be very heavy. A pair of 16oz gloves has the same effect.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wing_Chun_Bob said:
NO.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing you could do Wing Chun Bob is if you ahve abike turn it over and turn the pedals and keep your hands on them going faster everytime.
But keep practising, see how many chain punches you can do in a minute flat out!

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing_Chun_Bob said:
Learn to relax, and slow things down, slowness brings speed, softness brings power.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
this could injure your shoulders and elbows I would try maybe doing punches with cables

I agree. Also, with dumbbells, gravity is pulling your hands down and that isn't how punches work - cables are better. Also, do some plyometric work like throwing medicine balls and doing explosive push-ups.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone has give great advice already so I dont have too much to add. Going slowly is important, your mind may know what your body is supposed to but it takes longer for your body to learn it. It takes a lot of repetition to develope muscle memory which is in part speed. Building muscle with weights can help but only if the developed muscle is flexible. Flexibilaty is part and parcle with speed and power. Most importantly in my opinion is not the speed of your hands on the way to the target, that is obvious to work on. The often over looked aspect is return speed. By bringing your hands back faster (yes faster) than they go out you can increase the number of outgoing strikes.

-Josh-

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Muscle mass is important too. Powerful and large muscles that are also flexible and well stretched are very fast. Look at the difference in the legs of 100 metre sprinters and marathon runners.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are alot of speeding hitting books and videos,check them out. Most of them says the same things over all....Practice and practice hard and often, always be relax to the point of impact and think about bringing the leg back faster than is was thrown. A relax body can move faster than a tense body, also make you mind see every one of your techniques getting faster and stronger. There is so many different ways for speed drills,each has there unique ways. But thinking about it ..is not the same as doing it.......I think?.....Aloha