Spear: King of Weapons?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dronak said:
IIRC, our teacher did say something like that, but was a bit more specific and said that the spear is the king of the long weapons. I can't remember the reasons behind it, but he kind of backed it up by saying that there are lots of weapon forms designed to fight against the spear. I think as mentioned, the weapons are grouped into types/classes and each one has its sort of "king" that I guess is the epitome of that class of weapons. I think he said it was straight sword for the sword group. I'm not sure if I have any more notes on this subject to look up though. I'm going basically on memory.
I have to agree. Each weapon is categorized into different classes and each has a weapon that basically contains all the criteria for that class. I've never heard anyone refer to the spear as the "king of weapons" but I can see that it is extremely versatile and like many others have said, there are many, many two man sets utilizing the spear. I think if your trying to choose a weapon you would need to look at what you needing it to do. As far as the spear and such, I don't think I will ever be attacked while having one in my back pocket so its qualities are more for fitness, history, and the ability to cross over into other "make-shift" weapons.

7sm

OP
W

WLMantisKid

I think naming it the King, the Father, the Mother, and the Grandfather has more to do with social roles than terms of fighting application. I cant think of any analogies, but thats what I gather from it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More than social roles--which may be part of it--I think that the spear is suppoed to be especially good for some chi-related exercises (but my memory fails me on the exact way in which a shaking spear is related to chi development/projection/etc.).

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
More than social roles--which may be part of it--I think that the spear is suppoed to be especially good for some chi-related exercises (but my memory fails me on the exact way in which a shaking spear is related to chi development/projection/etc.).
Energy development... check out Chen taiji, baji or some xingyi & bagua systems do "pole shaking" to develop jing in their strikes. General it's not a "spear" per se, but a really long wood staff that's not necessary made from the nice waxwood that will bend easily. Or if it is, at least it's got some heft to it to make it harder to shake it easily. You'd have to put some internal "umph" behind it to snap it.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

I meant the nicknames of the weapons was more of a "social role"-ish thing.

We do shakes with our long weapons as well, I know what you're talking about there. I dont think those have anything to do with calling the Staff the Grandfather and the Gim the Mother though :)

OP
W

white mantis

arnisador said:
Well...to an extent. Some weapons represent such a step up in technology that the difference overwhelms skill (a samurai philosophical objection to the gun).

And yes, skill matters, but who would want to face a spear if they were armed with only a knife? Who would want to face a sword if they had only a yawara? Length matters too. That is, I agree with you, but within reason--even at a fixed technology level, some weapons can make up for a lot of skill.
You would be amazed at some of the things pepole do when they have no choice even if thir is a gun involved.;)

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No other traditional weapon, with the exception of projectile weapons, is so effective against cavalry.

OP
W

white mantis

Bod said:
No other traditional weapon, with the exception of projectile weapons, is so effective against cavalry.
Hmmm.....perhaps you need to check out the armoury section of this forum and see the thread fix bayonets.

Latest Discussions