Spear: King of Weapons?

W

white mantis

I have heared that the chinese called the spear the king of the weapons. What do you guys think?

OP
W

WLMantisKid

In kung fu there are four major weapons.

The Stick - the grandfather, is also the dragon.
Broadsword - the father, tiger.
Spear - the king, dragon
Double-edge Sword (Gim) - the mother, phoenix

It's not saying the spear is the KING of all weapons, and thusly is the best. It's just what they call it.

OP
W

white mantis

WLMantisKid said:
In kung fu there are four major weapons.

The Stick - the grandfather, is also the dragon.
Broadsword - the father, tiger.
Spear - the king, dragon
Double-edge Sword (Gim) - the mother, phoenix

It's not saying the spear is the KING of all weapons, and thusly is the best. It's just what they call it.
Oh, okay so more of nicknames than titles.

OP
R

RHD

white mantis said:
Oh, okay so more of nicknames than titles.

The spear is definately the king of weapons. It was the number one military weapon of the common foot soldier. It's deadly fast. It's incredibly versitle. It's relatively easy to learn. Note that more two or more person coreographed weapons forms from almost every system are a majority of spear vs....(fill in the blank). There's a reason for that.

Mike

OP
W

WLMantisKid

No one weapon is better than the other ;)

OP
R

RHD

WLMantisKid said:

Well WLMantisKid, no weapon is better than the one that you (or anyone else) feels best with. Each weapon and practitioner has their advantages and disadvantages. What I'm saying is that the spear is consistantly the one weapon that other weapons are gauged against. If I was to choose a weapon to work with and use for real...in actual combat, it would be the tiger fork.

But go to any CMA demo that involves multiple person weapons forms and you will see spear pitted against other weapons more often than others. I have personally seen at various schools the following: Spear vs. spear, spear vs. broadsword, spear vs. 3-sectional staff, spear vs. butterfly knives, spear vs. double daggers, spear vs. staff, spear vs. kwan dao, spear vs. hookswords, spear vs. emptyhand (isn't that a terrifying concept?!), spear vs. long sweeper/2-sectional staff. That's 10 forms and I may be forgetting some. So yes, no weapon is better than any other, but the spear seems to be the one to test the others against.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
Right up until wartime. The sword is basicly a deuling weapon that didn't become usefull until tied to the end of a stick or rifle. :asian:
Sean

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Right up until wartime. The sword is basicly a deuling weapon that didn't become usefull until tied to the end of a stick or rifle.

When the battle got close and personal, I'd rather have a broadsword than a Kwan Do. It just depends on who's doing what with what weapon.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
When the battle got close and personal, I'd rather have a broadsword than a Kwan Do. It just depends on who's doing what with what weapon.
The spear keeps the enemy at bay but you gotta get closer to use your broad sword. Just like pawns in chess, if you get past the tip of the spear to strike with your sword you get speared by the guy next to the guy you are fighting. :asian:
Sean

OP
W

WLMantisKid

The spear keeps the enemy at bay but you gotta get closer to use your broad sword. Just like pawns in chess, if you get past the tip of the spear to strike with your sword you get speared by the guy next to the guy you are fighting.

But with long weapons you have to worry about where you're swinging it as well.

It's a case by case basis it seems.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everybody makes a pretty good point, but also remember a spear is a flexible weapon, a short weapon, a long weapon, a cudgel, a thrown weapon, etc... It can pretty much be whatever you want it to be. The reason (IMHO) it's called the king of weapons is it's versatility.

I've done a Northern system & now I'm studying Choy Lay Fut. I've learned 2 separate, unrelated forms named Mei Hua Qiang (Moi Fah Chiang). One northern & one southern. Not even close to being the same form or function, but both exmplify the things I mentioned above.

Just adding my $.02 in...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Touch'O'Death is right. Look at the samurai--for battle, they favored the spear (yari) or halberd (naginata). The sword was more for dueling or if your spear or halberd broke.

Group-vs.-group tactics are different than the ones we martial artists usually focus on. Such tactics were an 'art' studied by samurai. Sayoc Kali still practices mass attacks (group-on-group). It's different--and so are the goals (defend a place or take another place vs. just getting away safely).

OP
W

white mantis

I must say you all make very good points but I'm with kungfuwarrior it's not the weapon that wins the battle it's skill.:duel:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...to an extent. Some weapons represent such a step up in technology that the difference overwhelms skill (a samurai philosophical objection to the gun).

And yes, skill matters, but who would want to face a spear if they were armed with only a knife? Who would want to face a sword if they had only a yawara? Length matters too. That is, I agree with you, but within reason--even at a fixed technology level, some weapons can make up for a lot of skill.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well...to an extent. Some weapons represent such a step up in technology that the difference overwhelms skill (a samurai philosophical objection to the gun).

And yes, skill matters, but who would want to face a spear if they were armed with only a knife? Who would want to face a sword if they had only a yawara? Length matters too. That is, I agree with you, but within reason--even at a fixed technology level, some weapons can make up for a lot of skill.
With that in mind which weapon would the most peasants be able to master in the shortest amount of time? Japan was not populated with samurai, they were the few, the proud, so to speak.
sean

OP
S

StraightRazor

The select fire, magazine fed, air cooled rifle/carbine is the "king of weapons".

Seriously, some weapons are "better than others" otherwise our guys overseas would still be hauling around spears, swords, bows etc.

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
StraightRazor said:
The select fire, magazine fed, air cooled rifle/carbine is the "king of weapons".

Seriously, some weapons are "better than others" otherwise our guys overseas would still be hauling around spears, swords, bows etc.

No disrespect man but I think they were talking mainly about malee weapons. I will have to agree with you though if I had to choose any weapon it would definately be a gun(The select fire, magazine fed, air cooled rifle/carbine kind). But as far as malee weapons I still have to say that no weapon is greater than the hands holding it. For instance saying that a man holding a spear will always beat someone such as a samarai warrior weilding his sword would be a false statement. The weapon alone cannot determine the outcome of a fight.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
white mantis said:
I have heared that the chinese called the spear the king of the weapons. What do you guys think?

IIRC, our teacher did say something like that, but was a bit more specific and said that the spear is the king of the long weapons. I can't remember the reasons behind it, but he kind of backed it up by saying that there are lots of weapon forms designed to fight against the spear. I think as mentioned, the weapons are grouped into types/classes and each one has its sort of "king" that I guess is the epitome of that class of weapons. I think he said it was straight sword for the sword group. I'm not sure if I have any more notes on this subject to look up though. I'm going basically on memory.