Speaking of Urban Legends

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The anti-Vietnam Vet view is still alive and well. When I interviewed for my present job the interveiwing board was going to by pass me in preference for the non-vet's. During the 70's Vietnam Vet's were usually by passed for employment. Because of this fact a former state govererner had legislation passed that disallowed the by passing of Vietnam Vet's and disabled vet's unless it was for just cause. Because I am both I was then reluctantly hired. During my first week on the job a supervisor, along with a few other fellow employee's started referring to me as the "baby killer", physco vet and the list goes on. Unfortunitly this type of verbal assault has never stopped. If I even get upset at work I will hear ome of my fellow workers comment, some of that delayed stress again or watch out he's one of those vietnam crazies.
In fairness where I work is very pro veteran, that is along as you are a WWII, Korean War and Desert Storm etc veteran.
When I marched in a veterans type of parade I was always placed in the rear of the formation. During the verteran type holidays while at work, I would usually put on my Vietnam ribbons, many times I was told that I had to remove them. On my personal bio page on my schools web site I did not , untill 2006, list my military background. Since 68-69, for almost 38 years, it still goes on.
Please understand I am not complaining about this or am I looking for sympathy, it is just mere frustration with a society that won't let it go.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The anti-Vietnam Vet view is still alive and well. When I interviewed for my present job the interveiwing board was going to by pass me in preference for the non-vet's. During the 70's Vietnam Vet's were usually by passed for employment. Because of this fact a former state govererner had legislation passed that disallowed the by passing of Vietnam Vet's and disabled vet's unless it was for just cause. Because I am both I was then reluctantly hired. During my first week on the job a supervisor, along with a few other fellow employee's started referring to me as the "baby killer", physco vet and the list goes on. Unfortunitly this type of verbal assault has never stopped. If I even get upset at work I will hear ome of my fellow workers comment, some of that delayed stress again or watch out he's one of those vietnam crazies.
In fairness where I work is very pro veteran, that is along as you are a WWII, Korean War and Desert Storm etc veteran.
When I marched in a veterans type of parade I was always placed in the rear of the formation. During the verteran type holidays while at work, I would usually put on my Vietnam ribbons, many times I was told that I had to remove them. On my personal bio page on my schools web site I did not , untill 2006, list my military background. Since 68-69, for almost 38 years, it still goes on.
Please understand I am not complaining about this or am I looking for sympathy, it is just mere frustration with a society that won't let it go.

The above is a sad, sorry, and disturbingly common commentary on the state of "acceptable" behavior in this country - when it is not politically correct to comment on someone's race, creed, religion, gender, weight, etc., but it is perfectly fine to deride someone who served our country at the risk of his/her life for their service - today, often by people who are parroting insults they have heard from others, rather than from any actual opinion or knowledge of the event(s) in question.

On behalf of all of us who consider your coworkers to be insensitive nuts, I would like to apologize for the way you've been treated, and thank you for your service :asian:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You dang sure ain't gonna see that happen in the Southern US, us rednecks would kick the daylights out of a liberal that was stupid enough to try.

I only wish this were true. While not personally experiencing it, it has occurred as late as 4 years ago in south central Alabama. An peer of mine, while conducting funeral detail for a veteran (3 man detail vs 7 man) had a relative (not sure which one) of the deceased not only spit on the flag but on the team leader trying to present it. Why the family requested military honors in the first place and harbored this attitude I don't know. Needless to say, the soldier refrained from punching the elderly woman in the face.

As it has been 4 years ago, I appologize for the lack of detail.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I challange anyone to produce one police report of people spitting on Us Soldiers after comming home from vietnam at the airport.
Sean

I could go you one better and produce the actual veteran, a friend of mine who won the Silver Star in Viet Nam..... but all that would do would be to produce an extremely violent confrontation and there has been enough of that. It simply isn't that important to me whether you believe us or not.

I know the vets returned to see enemy flags all over, which I personally witnessed. But since, for reasons best known to you, you have confined your beliefs to what is found in official reports, that doesn't count either.

You state this relates to the polarization today..... well there is a police report and a media account of a woman spitting on a soldier at Syracuse's Hancock Airport last year. Find some way to ignore those!

I find your posts offensive in the extreme, sounds more like a Touch of Denial.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be less nice today if I saw someone do that to ANY of our military personnel. You dang sure ain't gonna see that happen in the Southern US, us rednecks would kick the daylights out of a liberal that was stupid enough to try.
Listen, Vietnam aside. I was stationed on Ft Knox and the locals have a habbit of shooting soldiers. It never makes the news its just accepted losses. I dare you to tromp around in the back woods of FT Knox and call one of these locals a liberal. It won't even make the news.
Sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could go you one better and produce the actual veteran, a friend of mine who won the Silver Star in Viet Nam..... but all that would do would be to produce an extremely violent confrontation and there has been enough of that. It simply isn't that important to me whether you believe us or not.

I know the vets returned to see enemy flags all over, which I personally witnessed. But since, for reasons best known to you, you have confined your beliefs to what is found in official reports, that doesn't count either.

You state this relates to the polarization today..... well there is a police report and a media account of a woman spitting on a soldier at Syracuse's Hancock Airport last year. Find some way to ignore those!

I find your posts offensive in the extreme, sounds more like a Touch of Denial.
What does your account have to do with the topic of this thread?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
One cannot make the willfully blind see.

How about we just add each other to the ignore lists and leave it at that?

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One cannot make the willfully blind see.

How about we just add each other to the ignore lists and leave it at that?
I won't be adding you to my ignore list but I encourage you to do what ever you feel you need to do. I simply repeated a radio program topic I listened to the day before and get accused of not having been in uniform and having an agenda. Both assumptions are false.
Sean

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Kreth/Jeff Velten
-MT Senior Moderator-

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Dad is a Vietnam vet, so I have always considered it a REAL WAR. After speaking with many Vietnam vets, I don't see how anyone could consider it anything else but war. Sure, it may not meet some sort of political or legal definition, but it was a war.

Just curious as to how long ago that was? The torch has pretty much been passed to the Vietnam/Korean war vets at my post. Even more recent war veterans are being elected as officers.

Would you reconsider becoming a member? The politicians see numbers, and those numbers can translate into getting the promised services for the vets. I haven't agreed with some of the stances the national organization has taken, but over all it is a good outfit. It's amazing how much the local VFWs do for their communities too. Not just for vets, but for children's programs, safety programs, food pantries, etc.

If you find yourself headed about 2.5 hours South of T.C. (Whitelake Area), PM me and I will buy you a drink at my post.

Sincerely,
crushing
Thanks- I just might join ya for a drink- as far as the VFW or American Legion- no thanks- Still have a nasty taste in my mouth from that situation

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.record-eagle.com/2007/feb/24soloman.htm

This is one of my students/ Black Belt they out out a search for the thief, come to find out after two weeks - he was sitting in jail for a parole violation- so , for 2 weeks they went searching everywhere- when they already had him.
Go figure

Best wishes go out to Sgt Soloman and his family. I hope his wife will be able to go home soon and she fully recovers.

It looks like from your next post that they caught the guy. Hopefully the fact from the article "The VFW raised about $40,000 for the Soloman family to date" helps change your mind somewhat about the VFW. It's a good outfit.

I hope the thief is nailed to the fullest extent of the law.

Latest Discussions