Sparring?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good helmets for empty hand stuff, but I would be concerned about the lack of overhead protection for weapon strikes. The visor designs are really nice though.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Good helmets for empty hand stuff, but I would be concerned about the lack of overhead protection for weapon strikes. The visor designs are really nice though.

Look threw the rest of the sight, they have extra parts for the neck and top of the head.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like what I see, but I would still stick with the hockey/lacross equiptment

Easier to pick up. Similar safety requirements. I might pick up the throat guard, if I was using heavier sticks or real rattan.

OP
R

Rocky

I recommend starting with Hockey helmits, and knee and elbow pads, and always always a live stick, padded sticks just make for bad habits.

Being one of maybe three hard core full contact fighter GM Presas produced, the others being Mike Morton, who swithch to Pekiti Tersia, and Bowden Sween who also went Pekiti, I use to rep Modern Arnis back in the 80's aginst some of the Pekiti, and Serrada ( Mostly Jimmy Taccosa's ) people. These matchers were mostly very light pading to the knee's and elbows, and a Fencing mask, made popular by Erwin Balarta and Tom Bisio, two of the best ever full contact fighters. I fought mostly with the EMU Pekiti clan that was kind of a hap hazard group, after their instructor and a truelly awesom fighter Erwin Ballarta had left for Texas, took a lot of crap for being a Modern Arnis guy which made me the black shhep of the group. Jim Birchfield and Itried for years to get the Modern Arnis guys involved but nobdy wanted to step up, Jim ending up leaving for Pekiti, and then Serrada. What ever you choose, just take it in small progressive steps, you don't have to be a tough guy, no matter how hard you sparr it still isn't real!! So don't kill your self trying. just have fun as Remy use to say.

Rocky

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
"no matter how hard you sparr it still isn't real!! So don't kill your self trying. just have fun as Remy use to say."

Amen Rocky! Long time no read... hope all is well.

I think too that with the self defense focus, too much emphasis in sparring might change a student's use of the stick in FMA training from a symbollic tool or translatable metaphor to "THE" tool of the trade. I think hard training, hard stick sparring and light/no padding is essential. But, if the goal is general self defense there are more directly applicable scenario types of training that would combine full contact/near full contact reality with other SD skills. Sparring, if over emphasized, might actually detract from SD skills.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
The timing is amazing! I took a wicked high stick last night at my Hockey game. This really bad, undisciplined player didn't like how I was defending my goalie while she was camped out looking for a shot to tip in. She whirled around and layed the equivelant of a #2 angle strike on my temple region with both hands on the stick. I was laughing because I was thinking about this thread. Also because somehow in all that, I got a slashing penalty as a mutual penalty with her high sticking. The officials suck in my league and a lot of cheap stuff gets through - but they also tend to 'protect' the female players, thus my penalty. I know I didn't slash her. Regs/rules are only as good as they are enforced.

I guess my point is that this head shot reaffirmed how Hockey helmets are so over qualified for stick sparring because they are designed to save your brainpan when you fall from exhaustion and slam your head against the boards at 20 plus miles an hour, or even when someone is 'helping' you slam your head into the boards....

Add the faceshield of your choice and you have it all covered... bad pun.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
The timing is amazing! I took a wicked high stick last night at my Hockey game. This really bad, undisciplined player didn't like how I was defending my goalie while she was camped out looking for a shot to tip in. She whirled around and layed the equivelant of a #2 angle strike on my temple region with both hands on the stick. I was laughing because I was thinking about this thread. Also because somehow in all that, I got a slashing penalty as a mutual penalty with her high sticking. The officials suck in my league and a lot of cheap stuff gets through - but they also tend to 'protect' the female players, thus my penalty. I know I didn't slash her. Regs/rules are only as good as they are enforced.

I guess my point is that this head shot reaffirmed how Hockey helmets are so over qualified for stick sparring because they are designed to save your brainpan when you fall from exhaustion and slam your head against the boards at 20 plus miles an hour, or even when someone is 'helping' you slam your head into the boards....

Add the faceshield of your choice and you have it all covered... bad pun.
I think you got the penalty for Laughing not slashing ;) :D.

OP
R

Rocky

loki09789 said:
"no matter how hard you sparr it still isn't real!! So don't kill your self trying. just have fun as Remy use to say."

Amen Rocky! Long time no read... hope all is well.

I think too that with the self defense focus, too much emphasis in sparring might change a student's use of the stick in FMA training from a symbollic tool or translatable metaphor to "THE" tool of the trade. I think hard training, hard stick sparring and light/no padding is essential. But, if the goal is general self defense there are more directly applicable scenario types of training that would combine full contact/near full contact reality with other SD skills. Sparring, if over emphasized, might actually detract from SD skills.

Hey Paul, yea its been a while, I kind of float in and out of these digest, it seems like a lot of the same stuff over and over, not to say its a bad thing, I realize that new people are always starting, and their for going to ask or post the same statements that were posted 10 years ago on another forum, sos I figurelet someone else chime in. Anyways I also have been in the process of developing a new candle pouring facility for my wifes company, Royal Candle Company. Plus we now have 3 kids, my wife want 2 to 3 more, and man it just doesn't seem like enough time. I also rolled my Mustange 3 times ( what a bummer) :idunno: last fall and am in the process of building a new hotrod, a 1969 VW Bug convertable, with a 300hp Porche 911 motor all tricked out droped 3 in. complete with the Rolls Royce front end, hot Pink paint job, with pink and white fuzzy in terrior with the little dingle balls around the windows, its going to be called " The Luv Ma'Cheen" I got the idea from the movie born in East LA. So with all that and running my business, all I do is private lesson for people looking to teach CDM or a few Balintawak people that Iam getting reading to go train with GM Buot.
It seems like life goes by faster and faster, I was lucky to race my car 5 or 6 times last summer, and my poker playing is almost zelch!, my two vises that my wife lets me have :)

OP
R

Rocky

Rocky said:
Hey Paul, yea its been a while, I kind of float in and out of these digest, it seems like a lot of the same stuff over and over, not to say its a bad thing, I realize that new people are always starting, and their for going to ask or post the same statements that were posted 10 years ago on another forum, sos I figurelet someone else chime in. Anyways I also have been in the process of developing a new candle pouring facility for my wifes company, Royal Candle Company. Plus we now have 3 kids, my wife want 2 to 3 more, and man it just doesn't seem like enough time. I also rolled my Mustange 3 times ( what a bummer) :idunno: last fall and am in the process of building a new hotrod, a 1969 VW Bug convertable, with a 300hp Porche 911 motor all tricked out droped 3 in. complete with the Rolls Royce front end, hot Pink paint job, with pink and white fuzzy in terrior with the little dingle balls around the windows, its going to be called " The Luv Ma'Cheen" I got the idea from the movie born in East LA. So with all that and running my business, all I do is private lesson for people looking to teach CDM or a few Balintawak people that Iam getting reading to go train with GM Buot.
It seems like life goes by faster and faster, I was lucky to race my car 5 or 6 times last summer, and my poker playing is almost zelch!, my two vises that my wife lets me have :)

Man were there enough typos in that post??

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Was that with the padded stick or with a real cane?

How do you guys feel about lacrosse gear vice the WEKAF armor?

Tim Kashino

I've tried hockey, lacrosse, and kendo headgear as well, and I really prefer the Wekaf helmet. The ring lets you know when you've been hit and it takes a beating pretty well. I've got one helmet that is now the class helmet and it's been around for 5+ years. No cracks yet.

I think that any kind of stick sparring is good whether padded stick or live stick. The only thing I really raise issue with is the pool noodle, that foam cylinder that kids play with in the pool. I've seen some sparring with that and I don't think you can get a good lesson with that. I agree with whoever said the thing about the "stick hickey". It really does teach you when you're overextending or have a naked spot.

Latest Discussions