Sparring?

S

Superman

I was just wondering how often you spar? Also I know how it is different for each person but how long does it take for the average person to start sparring? Lastly what kind of protective gear do you use?
Thanks

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Superman said:
I was just wondering how often you spar? Also I know how it is different for each person but how long does it take for the average person to start sparring? Lastly what kind of protective gear do you use?
Thanks
Superman,

Welcome to Martial Talk. Thank You for posting your questions here. If you have any technical questions post them in the support forum or ask a staff member.

:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Superman said:
Thanks

Are you talking about stick sparring here, or more along the lines of karate type sparring?? I'm gonna assume, seeing as how this is a Modern Arnis thread, that you're talking about stick sparring. IMO, I think that, just like anything, the new student should have a good understanding of the basics FIRST, before any type of sparring is done. They are gonna have a hard enough time learning the basics, without having to worry about having someone swing a stick full force at them.

Ok...to answer your question. For the stick sparring, we use a padded stick, a helmet and a glove. It definately opens your mind as to whats gonna work and what isnt!!!

Mike

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Superman said:
Thanks

It depends who you ask. Generally while Prof Presas was alive it wasn't promoted very much even though compatition rules were listed in his pink book. I was one of a very small group in North America of Modern Arnis players that would actually spar outside of prearranged drills. We at the WMAA make it MANDITIORY for members to free stick spar during Black Belt testing.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how often you spar?
We used to spar every other week, but haven't done it in a while. Need to get back to it!

how long does it take for the average person to start sparring?
1 year (although some start earlier or later as you mentioned)

what kind of protective gear do you use?
controlled sparring light contact arms and legs only = padded stick no gear or
free sparring light rattan stick (the ones nobody wants when you get a new shipment!), street hocky gloves, street hocky goalie helmet, cup, elbow and knee pads optional

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Renegade said:
It depends who you ask. Generally while Prof Presas was alive it wasn't promoted very much even though compatition rules were listed in his pink book. I was one of a very small group in North America of Modern Arnis players that would actually spar outside of prearranged drills. We at the WMAA make it MANDITIORY for members to free stick spar during Black Belt testing.

It's MANDATORY in my training group as well, but we don't use full armor... just the cane, headgear and some wrist guards (other gear is optional)... no groin shots and no intentional targeting of the knees. The time limit varies, as does the number of opponents. A stick-hickey is a great motivational tool. Refusal to fight is grounds for dismissal, barring any physical imparements of course.

Tim Kashino

OP
S

Superman

MJS - I am talking about stick sparring
But also do you guys ever spar empty hand or with other weapons?
One last question, do you guys point spar or normal sparring (like a boxer would do)?
thanks

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
It's MANDATORY in my training group as well, but we don't use full armor... just the cane, headgear and some wrist guards (other gear is optional)... no groin shots and no intentional targeting of the knees. The time limit varies, as does the number of opponents. A stick-hickey is a great motivational tool. Refusal to fight is grounds for dismissal, barring any physical imparements of course.

Tim Kashino

If I was to train with you, us sparring would not be a challenge then ;)

I had to say it before anyone else did. You did leave yourself open :)

Seriously though, I think sparring is wonderful, and as a good welt or red swelling is good for the ego. As is a 72 year old man who can touch you at will :D. Although my work does nto understand when I come in with a bruise or welt ;)

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:

Tim Kashino

We use a padded stick and helmets. Sound a little weak until you see the 3 hockey helmets I broke with my overhand shot!

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
So Tim K,

If I was to train with you, us sparring would not be a challenge then ;)

I had to say it before anyone else did. You did leave yourself open :)

Riiiiiight; I guess I did leave myself open, Rich. You sure are a fart smeller... I mean a smart feller

To answer you question... no, it's a necessary part of the training regimen, particularly for the advanced guys. The "no refusal rule" is symbolic of facing down adversity and not giving up. Afterward we're all buds. We pop some tops, and eat some of the local delicacies. I failed to mention that losing one's temper is frowned upon. It's not an ego contest. It's training. You'll fight the way you train and if you loose your cool in training, you'll loose it when it really counts. That's a bad thing on a lot of levels.

Tim Kashino

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Renegade said:
We use a padded stick and helmets. Sound a little weak until you see the 3 hockey helmets I broke with my overhand shot!

Was that with the padded stick or with a real cane?

How do you guys feel about lacrosse gear vice the WEKAF armor?

Tim Kashino

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Renegade said:

Huh!!!!! I've seen the Renegade move...... Man! I don't want my helmet busted!! My head lives under there!!!! sheesh

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Riiiiiight; I guess I did leave myself open, Rich. You sure are a fart smeller... I mean a smart feller

To answer you question... no, it's a necessary part of the training regimen, particularly for the advanced guys. The "no refusal rule" is symbolic of facing down adversity and not giving up. Afterward we're all buds. We pop some tops, and eat some of the local delicacies. I failed to mention that losing one's temper is frowned upon. It's not an ego contest. It's training. You'll fight the way you train and if you loose your cool in training, you'll loose it when it really counts. That's a bad thing on a lot of levels.

Tim Kashino

So you are saying, I have to fly over to Italy and drink beers and eat food and become a Bud before we can spar :D.

Next time we meet, we can go out for lunch or other meal :)

Oh and excuse you because I did not know you Farted ;)

Enjoy your work and stay safe.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Superman said:
MJS - I am talking about stick sparring
But also do you guys ever spar empty hand or with other weapons?
One last question, do you guys point spar or normal sparring (like a boxer would do)?
thanks

Yes. I do both.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We stick spar twice a week for just a few rounds after the main class. The mentality being that a real fight wouldn't last long anyway. Unfortunately we don't do much empty hand or grappling. I go to a different school for that.

We've been using LaCrosse gloves for a while now and I love'em. They are a little lighter and more flexible than a hockey glove, but they still supply sufficient protection. The helmets leave too much of an opening for the eyes. I haven't found head gear I feel really comfortable with. The best I can come up with is a hard shell with a face cage and a pair of raquetball gogs under. One other thing many people here have been using is instep/shin pads. One or two downward shots to the instep makes you tink twice about no protection there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the chanllange issue, but to each his own.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are great plastic face shields and 1/2 plastic and 1/2 metal cage hockey helmets that might work for you too. My main concern during sparring, with or without protective gear, is the incidental or intentional throat shot.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
There are great plastic face shields and 1/2 plastic and 1/2 metal cage hockey helmets that might work for you too. My main concern during sparring, with or without protective gear, is the incidental or intentional throat shot.

I'll definitly check these out. Most of our system is large blade based and even with sticks we tend to train like they were barong or large kris More stabs than just stick sparring. My biggest concern is a stab to the eyes.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 1/2 and 1/2 is good because it is less likely to fog up, but it it does there are commercial sprays and home remedies that can help with that.

In competetive fencing, they test the gauge and weave of fencing masks by using a blade tip and trying to force it through the grill. You might want to bring the tip or part of a sample blade (whole thing might raise some eyebrows, but that might be fun too) and test the masks in the store. Try gear trading stores (Play it Again Sports type that buy and trade used gear) to reduce the cost issue. I find the service at these stores vs. department stores is more friendly to 'alternate' gear uses as well.

Paul M.

Latest Discussions